why won't all my devices sync all items?

Options
paulpaterson
paulpaterson
Community Member

I have bought 1Password5 and installed it on my iMac and Macbook; I have also downloaded the (free) 1Password app onto my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. I have set them all to sync via iCloud with the result that the Macbook, iPhone and iPad all show the same number of items ... but that is several fewer than I have installed on my iMac, which shows more. Why, and how do I put this right?

NB: I am running the latest versions of 1Password (5.3.2) and iOS (10.10.4)

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:why won't all my devices sync all items?

Comments

• paulpaterson
    paulpaterson
    Community Member
    Options

I have bought 1Password5 and installed it on my iMac and Macbook; I have also downloaded the (free) 1Password app onto my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. I have set them all to sync via iCloud with the result that the Macbook, iPhone and iPad all show the same number of items ... but that is several fewer than I have installed on my iMac, which shows more. Why, and how do I put this right?

NB: I am running the latest versions of 1Password (5.3.2) and iOS (10.10.4)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paulpaterson,

I'm sorry you're having trouble syncing between both Macs and iOS devices!

You said you're using version 5.3.2 on one (or both?) of your Macs, and that is the latest release of the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac. However, iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac. That's because it uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through the Mac App Store. We have more information here: Why does iCloud require iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and the Mac App Store?

The AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac doesn't have an iCloud sync option, so I'm not sure how you currently have that setup. If you go to Preferences > Sync in 1Password on each Mac, what is currently selected as the sync method on each one?

You said you bought 1Password 5 for Mac. Did you make that purchase from the Mac App Store or the AgileBits Store? If you bought it from the Mac App Store, it sounds like you accidentally installed the AgileBits Store version instead (on at least one Mac). In that case, you'll need to launch the Mac App Store, make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make the purchase, and reinstall 1Password from the Purchases section. When you open that version for the first time, it should find your data, and you'll be able to sync with iCloud.

On the other hand, if you bought a license for 1Password 5 for Mac from the AgileBits Store, you won't be able to use iCloud sync. You can switch to Dropbox Sync on your Macs and iOS devices. Or if you bought your license within the last 30 days, we can give you a refund so you can purchase the Mac App Store version instead.

Sorry for the confusion about that! Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. Thanks!

• paulpaterson
    paulpaterson
    Community Member
    Options

I see the problem - it looks like I purchased 1Password5 from the AgileBits Store instead of the Mac App Store. So, the answer seems to be for you to refund my purchase (just made a few days ago) and for me to purchase through the Mac App Store. One question before I do that ... what will happen to my password data already stored on 1Password5? Will I be able to save that to somewhere or will I need to take a manual copy? Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paulpaterson,

So, the answer seems to be for you to refund my purchase (just made a few days ago) and for me to purchase through the Mac App Store.

Sure, we can definitely refund that for you if the purchase was just a few days ago. I wasn't able to find your purchase under the email address from your forum account, so I'm guessing you bought it using a different email address? If so, don't post that address here (these forums are public) but please send us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com with your name and the email address you used when you bought the license from our site so we can find that in order to process the refund. Please also include a link to this forum discussion in your email so we can "connect the dots" when we see your message in our inbox. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible once we receive your email.

... what will happen to my password data already stored on 1Password5? Will I be able to save that to somewhere or will I need to take a manual copy?

When you open the Mac App Store version of 1Password for the first time, it should find your data from the AgileBits Store version (just make sure you don't delete the AgileBits Store version until things are up and running in the Mac App Store version). It should be really easy, and we have some more information about that here: Switching to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store

Now just in case you decide to keep the AgileBits Store version, I wanted to mention that Dropbox sync is also a great sync option. It's how I have always synced my 1Password data, and many of my AgileBits colleagues do as well. 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there's no difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data.

Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers, whereas it's not currently possible to share anything between iCloud accounts. And it's the only single sync solution that works across all 1Password platforms: Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.

If you still want the Mac App Store version, no problem! Just email us like I described above. And if you have more questions about that or anything else, please let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• paulpaterson
    paulpaterson
    Community Member
    Options

Right ... now here's something! I discovered that I did, in fact, purchase 1Password5 through the Mac App Store (found the receipt from Apple iTunes on my credit card statement, and found it in 'Purchased' when I opened the Apps icon on my iMac); I clicked on 'Open' in the4 Apps list and 1Password5 opened and is perfectly synched with my iPad, my iPhone and my Macbook ... however, they are all showing just the few password logins that were previously showing on those devices, and NOT the greater number that were previously showing on my iMac. So my question is - where are my other logins/passwords, and how do I get them back?

• paulpaterson
    paulpaterson
    Community Member
    Options

This is a major crisis! Having changed my old memorable passwords for new complex ones with 1Password5, I now find that I am locked out of some of my important sites (credit cards etc).. What now? Help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paulpaterson,

Ok, well it sounds like you have both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password installed on your Mac. They keep separate databases, so it's entirely possible that you have most of your data in the AgileBits Store version, and only some of your data in the Mac App Store version. The Mac App Store versions seems to be syncing with your other Mac and iOS devices (I'm guessing via iCloud sync, since you mentioned that in your original post). Don't worry, it shouldn't be difficult to get all your data merged into the Mac App Store version, and we can help you do that.

First, just to avoid confusion, here is some info about both versions of 1Password, to help you tell them apart from each other:

• Mac App Store version: This should be in the Applications folder and is named 1Password.app. The latest is version 5.3. You'll want to keep this version since it is needed for iCloud sync. You mentioned this version of the app has some of your data.
    • AgileBits Store version: This should normally be in the Applications folder (although it's possible you have it somewhere else) and is named 1Password 5.app. The latest is version 5.3.2. You mentioned this version of the app has most of your data.

With that in mind, you can follow these steps to get all your data into the Mac App Store version. First:

• Open the AgileBits Store version (1Password 5.app) and unlock with your master password (if prompted).
    • Go to File > Backup to make a fresh backup of your data (just as a precaution).
    • In the Preferences window that opens, choose the Sync tab.
    • Choose Folder from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu (if another sync option was previously selected, click the Disable Sync button but do not choose to delete the data).
    • Click the Choose button, then select the Desktop (and click Open).
    • Click Create New (this will create a 1Password.agilekeychain file on the Desktop).
    • Hold the Control key and go to the menu for 1Password 5 > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.

Next:

• Open the Mac App Store version (1Password.app) and unlock with your master password (if prompted).
    • Go to File > Backup to make a fresh backup of your data (just as a precaution).
    • In the Preferences window that opens, choose the Sync tab.
    • Change the sync option from iCloud to Folder and click the Disable Sync button (do not choose to delete the data).
    • Click the Choose button, then select the 1Password.agilekeychain file on the Desktop (and click Open).
    • Click Merge With Existing (enter your master password if prompted).
    • Assuming all goes well, once that syncs, you can switch back from Folder to iCloud sync (you'll be prompted again to merge data, which is fine).

Hopefully this helps - please let us know how it goes for you and if you have any questions about any of that!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paulpaterson, I almost forgot to address the last thing you mentioned:

This is a major crisis! Having changed my old memorable passwords for new complex ones with 1Password5, I now find that I am locked out of some of my important sites (credit cards etc).. What now? Help!

Is this a separate issue? If so, we're happy to help you with that too. Just to make sure I understand, do you mean you've edited some Login passwords in the 1Password app, but not on the websites where you have accounts?

• paulpaterson
    paulpaterson
    Community Member
    Options

Phew - that's sorted it! Thank you very much for your help. For clarification, the passwords I had 'lost' were, as you suggested, in the AgileBits version of 1Password5 and they are now combined and running in the Mac Store App, and all my devices are synching through iCloud.
    Thanks again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @paulpaterson, I'm glad to hear that helped to get things all sorted out for you! If you have everything in the Mac App Store version now, you can delete the AgileBits Store version by dragging it to the Trash (just don't use any app cleaning utilities).

If you run into more problems or need anything else, you know where to find us. ;)

• paulpaterson
    paulpaterson
    Community Member
    Options

Right - I've done that now...and just realised that one version is 1Password and the other is 1Password5. As a point of interest, if the AgileBits (1Password5) version is the later build number, why is that the one to ditch? What are the advantages of one over the other?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paulpaterson,

Yes, as I mentioned in a previous message, the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store apps are named differently and have slightly different version numbers:

• Mac App Store version: This should be in the Applications folder and is named 1Password.app. The latest is version 5.3. You'll want to keep this version since it is needed for iCloud sync. You mentioned this version of the app has some of your data.
    • AgileBits Store version: This should normally be in the Applications folder (although it's possible you have it somewhere else) and is named 1Password 5.app. The latest is version 5.3.2. You mentioned this version of the app has most of your data.

We normally keep the two versions on the same schedule/version number, but the last two updates (5.3.1 and 5.3.2) included changes that only apply to the AgileBits Store version:

• 5.3.1: Added the ability to purchase 1Password licenses from within 1Password itself.
    • 5.3.2: Improved reliability of the in-app store WebView.

Those changes don't apply to the Mac App Store version because purchasing/licensing is managed by the Mac App Store. Hopefully that answers your question. Sorry for any confusion about that!

This discussion has been closed.