Enhancement request: Does Dropbox need full access?

Options
archifishal
archifishal
Community Member

Happened to be looking at my Dropbox settings while trying to fix a problem with my Windows Dropbox client, and noticed that 1Password has full read/write access to my Dropbox folder -

This probably isn't necessary, and it could use an App folder like SMS Backup & Restore does in my screenshot. I'm not overly fussed about it, but it would seem cleaner just to have access to eg. Apps/1Password than the whole Dropbox.

1Password Version: 4.5.1b1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.1.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hey @Alex Macfarlane Smith. Thanks for getting in touch with us and for your support of 1Password. :) I'll be happy to answer your question.

1Password does indeed need full read and write access to Dropbox for syncing, and there are a few reasons. First off, 1Password users have the option of having several vaults, and storing those vaults anywhere they like. This means that vaults won't always stay in the /Apps/1Password folder. In some cases, users vaults are in their root Dropbox folder. In some cases, they've created separate folders for separate groups of vaults. 1Password needs to be able to locate 1Password folders wherever they are located in Dropbox in order to sync with them.

The same goes for writing, as well, as users can create and specify any path to their vault. In this case. 1Password needs to be able to write to that vault, wherever it is.

I hope this answers your question! Let us know if you have further questions. Thanks!

• notsofeo
    notsofeo
    Community Member
    Options

Is that flexibility to put the vaults anywhere really necessary?
    To me it seems exposing all of Dropbox to 1Password is risky.

• saad
    Options

It’s only recently, 1Password started using Apps/1Password/ as the default location to store its data folder. In the past, we used a different location. This permission becomes more important when we deal with multiple vaults, especially shared vaults between users.

You can read more about this permission here: https://support.1password.com/full-dropbox-access/ Let me know if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.