Multiple weird issues when setting up 1Password on a new computer

lilyball
lilyball
Community Member

I just went through the process of setting up 1Password again on a brand new computer, and had multiple problems. I think the root cause here is I downloaded the app from agilebits.com, started setting it up, then remembered my license is a MAS license, so I deleted the standalone app and installed it again from the MAS. I ended up with multiple issues. Here's a complete description of what happened:

1. I downloaded the app from agilebits.com, moved it to /Applications, and launched it.
  2. It auto-detected my agilekeychain in Dropbox. I unlocked it and created a vault for it.
  3. I started configuring everything (including setting it up to run 1Password Mini automatically.
  4. I then realized my license was a MAS license, so I quit 1Password and threw the app in the trash.
  5. At this point I got a curious alert about there being no app to open a URL, which I didn't record, but it looked like some 1Password URL that was asking something (presumably 1Password Mini) to "quit".
  6. I installed 1Password 5.3 from the MAS
  7. I launched 1Password.

Here's where the first issue occurred. The MAS version of 1Password automatically imported my data from the standalone version, except it lost the sync info. It thought my vault was not supposed to sync anywhere.

I knew from past experience that trying to get 1Password to start syncing a vault with a pre-existing agilekeychain in Dropbox is problematic, because it wants to merge all the data even though the keychain is where it all came from to begin with (my recollection is there's no way to tell it to just overwrite the vault with the keychain).

Because of that, I decided to delete the vault instead. But I couldn't find any obvious way to do that. So instead I quit the app, then deleted my ~/Library/Containers/ container folders for both com.agilebits.onepassword-osx and 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper. I also deleted ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 to ensure it wouldn't re-import. At this point I realized I hadn't yet quit 1Password Mini, so I asked it to quit, then checked to ensure the container folders were still deleted. And then I relaunched 1Password.

This is where the second, very major, issue occurred. 1Password launched and showed the welcome window, but then it did nothing else. It didn't prompt me to add the agilekeychain from Dropbox. It didn't prompt me to add a new vault. It showed no window at all (and nothing logged to the Console). Most of the menu items were disabled. The app had no vault, and no way to add a vault. Quitting and relaunching did not help. Clicking on the dock icon just re-showed the welcome window. Double-clicking the agilekeychain did nothing. The app was completely broken.

I tried deleting the preference domains (with defaults delete) and re-deleting the container folders. Still nothing. I verified that there were no running processes with "1pass" in their name. So finally, I rebooted. This seemed to fix whatever was wrong, as launching 1Password after rebooting finally did the expected thing of detecting my agilekeychain and prompting me to create a vault for it.

A bit later, I checked the Console and discovered the third issue. My Console was filling up with lines that looked like

8/12/15 2:27:24.623 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[23040]) Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 149: Could not find a bundle of the given identifier through LaunchServices: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper
8/12/15 2:27:24.624 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

These two lines were repeating every 10 seconds. My best guess is it's some remnant of the standalone version setting up 1Password Mini to launch at login, although I couldn't find a LaunchAgent for it so I don't know how it was actually configured (and remember, I rebooted since throwing away the standalone version). I also don't know why the name says "onepassword4-helper", since this is 1Password 5.3, and the helper process appears to have the bundle ID com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.

The only way I could get this spam to stop was by running launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper. This stopped the spam, although I am a little worried that it will show up again when I reboot (I have not tested that yet).

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.3.b2
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kballard,

I'm sorry you ran into these problems. Thank you for all the details about what you tried up to this point - it's really helpful for us!

Just a quick note about a couple things you mentioned, in case you find it helpful:

The MAS version of 1Password automatically imported my data from the standalone version, except it lost the sync info. It thought my vault was not supposed to sync anywhere.

That's correct behavior - the Mac App Store version found your vault in the AgileBits Store version (instead of the keychain in Dropbox) and copied that to its own database. It doesn't import preferences from the AgileBits Store version (such as sync preferences) so you would need to set those up again.

On the other hand, if you didn't already have the AgileBits Store version installed, the Mac App Store version would have auto-detected your keychain in Dropbox, just like the AgileBits Store version did when you first opened that. In that case, Dropbox sync would have been enabled by choosing to sync your existing vault from Dropbox during the setup.

I knew from past experience that trying to get 1Password to start syncing a vault with a pre-existing agilekeychain in Dropbox is problematic, because it wants to merge all the data even though the keychain is where it all came from to begin with (my recollection is there's no way to tell it to just overwrite the vault with the keychain).

At that point, you would have wanted to merge the data. Merging basically looks for new data in your vault in 1Password and copies it to your vault in Dropbox, so both copies of the vault have all the same data. Nothing is deleted unless you have specifically chose to delete something. Any items that match in both vaults are left alone, so you shouldn't get any duplicates.

When you setup the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, it copied your data from the vault in Dropbox. When you setup the Mac App Store version of 1Password, it copied your data from the vault in the AgileBits Store version. So your data in the Mac App Store version should have been the same as your data in Dropbox, and after choosing to merge (when enabling Dropbox sync), you would have still had all that same data. The term "merge" was probably a bit confusing, so I apologize if that's what led to your deleting folders from the Library and causing other issues!

Now, getting back to the problem - if I understand, 1Password seems to be working correctly now, but you're worried that the Console will start filling up again the next time you reboot your Mac? If so, the first thing to do is reboot your Mac and see if that happens. If not, then it sounds like everything is fine now.

On the other hand, if you reboot your Mac and start having the same issue in the Console again, I think the best way to try to solve it at this point would be to reset the 1Password app on your Mac by following the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

When doing that, you'll actually want to follow the steps for both the Mac App Store version and AgileBits Store version of 1Password. Your data will be fine because you will still have the vault in Dropbox, and you'll only be moving files to the Desktop (i.e. you won't actually delete any of those files until 1Password is back up and running correctly). Keep in mind you've already deleted some of the files/folders mentioned in that article - but please check each location listed there to make sure they're gone.

After going through those steps, launch the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5. You should be taken through the setup procedure, and it should detect your vault in Dropbox (if not, you should be able to choose that yourself). If everything goes well and all your data is back in 1Password, you can trash the items you had moved to your Desktop.

Does that help? Please let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• lilyball
    lilyball
    Community Member

I finally got around to rebooting the machine. There is no console spam now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kballard,

I'm glad to hear that a restart smoothed things out for you!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.