Syncing iPhone apps to iTunes

Options
TomWolsky
TomWolsky
Community Member

Not really a 1P question I don't think. I sync my iPhone to iTunes to backup my apps. Should iTunes be copying over the latest beta version? I'm still seeing an old version in the Mobile Applications folder.

1Password Version: iOS 5.5 (505028)
Extension Version: 4.4.0b5
OS Version: 10.11b5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

@TomWolsky

Uhhh, the betas will never override what you have already downloaded from the store. I always have to update the one in iTunes as they show up from the update server.

If I recall correctly it was setup that way from long ago, because you could have a beta and a stable app on the same device. At that time the only way to get the app into iTunes was to manually add the .ipa file to iTunes on the computer. With the current betas its possible to re download the beta from the TestFlight app. So there is probably not a reason to add the file to iTunes. Additionally some times, I would find old betas in my iTunes library, not really a huge issue, just a pain if you installed an out of date beta by accident. :(

ps. I nudged this over into the iOS beta section from the Mac beta. :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@TomWolsky

Also in your information you posted you where using the extension 4.4.0b5.
    I am on 4.4.3 b2, however, I am using 10.11. If I recall correctly you are only provided the relevant version for your OS.

Just thought you may wish to check and see if the extension has any updates pending.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

I don't actually have the store version on the phone.

The iOS beta forum was missing earlier for some reason.

Thanks for the tip on the extension beta. I always forget to check for that. There doesn't seem to be any trigger in 1P to kick the user to do it.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

@TomWolsky

The stable may not be on the phone (in my case) looks like your the same. I never have mine installed, unless the beta expires or the stable is pushed to me. As soon as a new beta arrives, the stable gets booted off the phone.

As to the topic, no issues there. Happy to put it where it needed to go and assist.

No, no trigger's that I have found. If you enable auto updates for the extensions, (at the bottom of the extensions pane in Safari) when you quit safari it should auto update on its own, the next time Safari is launched.

I have had occasions (rare) where it would not update on its own for one reason or another. Then I just removed it and grabbed a new download.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TomWolsky,

Looks like @thightower beat me to the punch by already answering your questions here. :)

A couple points:

I don't actually have the store version on the phone.

The beta build of 1Password for iOS installed from the TestFlight app will replace the version from the App Store (if it's installed). Before 1Password for iOS beta distribution switched to TestFlight it was possible to have separate stable (from App Store) and beta builds (from HockeyApp) installed.

As far as I know you'd be unable to activate or purchase Pro features in a beta build of 1Password for iOS so you'd first need to do that from the stable release, then install the beta.

The iOS beta forum was missing earlier for some reason.

You need to be logged in on the forum to access this iOS Beta category.

@thightower:

If you enable auto updates for the extensions, (at the bottom of the extensions pane in Safari) when you quit safari it should auto update on its own, the next time Safari is launched.

I'm not sure 1Password extension auto-updates are working yet with Safari on 10.11 (beta). Has that successfully worked for you? I have extension auto-updates disabled in all browsers, preferring control over when they're updated.

Much appreciate your assistance here! :+1:

@TomWolsky:

If there's anything more we can answer or clarify please let us know!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk

I'm not sure 1Password extension auto-updates are working yet with Safari on 10.11 (beta). Has that successfully worked for you? I have extension auto-updates disabled in all browsers, preferring control over when they're updated.

If, I recall correctly the last one did and it did not in the previous betas.

I cant say for 100% sure about 10.11. I saw one update this weekend on one of our machines. I had been working on the wife's Mac before, I started to travel again. So which machine it came from, mine, hers, or kids etc. ??? 1Password is the only extension I/we use. Oh also AddBlock. Its semi easy to make sure it was actually an update of 1P. :) My old brain just doesn't want to say for certain which one it was on when said update happened, mine (10.11) or hers (10.10.4). Sorry, I am no definitive help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @thightower,

Thanks for the follow-up. tl;dr summary of below: right now the 1Password extension (stable or beta) will not auto-update with Safari 9.

What we know is what Apple has stated about Secure Extension Distribution in its Safari 9.0 document:

Only Safari Extensions installed from the Safari Extensions Gallery can be updated automatically.

If downloading the 1Password extension with Safari 9 from the Apple's beta Safari Extensions Gallery page it'll currently install version 4.4.0, not the more recent 4.4.2 update available from our 1Password Browser Extensions page (or 4.4.3.BETA-2, if Enable betas is selected there first).

Add the following two lines to each extension's dictionary entry within your Update Manifest to allow existing users to update automatically to the latest version.

<key>Update From Gallery</key>
    <true/>

This is something we do intend to add so future stable (and up-to-date) versions of the 1Password extension in the Safari Extensions Gallery can be auto-updated with Safari 9. At the moment it will not be auto-updated from there with Safari 9, and never if it's a stable or beta version downloaded from our site because of this restriction:

You may still sign your Safari Extensions with your developer certificate for distribution outside of the Safari Extensions Gallery, but it will not be a candidate for automatic updating.

With automatic updating enabled in Safari 9 you'll see something like this when extension updates are available that won't be auto-updated:

We might eventually (by default) redirect to the Safari Extensions Gallery for installing stable versions so they can be auto-updated with Safari 9, which won't be possible with betas unless also available from the Safari Extensions Gallery (probably unlikely, if Apple would even allow it).

ref: OPX-1046

This discussion has been closed.