Help Restoring Backup

Hello all. I have been using 1Password on my iMac and iPhone for some time. I have always just synced between the devices over wifi. Recently my iMac hard drive crashed (currently being replaced). The very next day my phone died as well (boo apple). I now have a replacement iphone and no desktop. The majority of my application data on my iMac is backed up on carbonite. My question is this.... Is there a specific 1Password backup file that I could upload to dropbox and then set my iphone to sync with, thus restoring my bajillion passwords to my phone. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Welcome to the forums, harkco. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

The default location of your data file is:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/1Password/

If you can restore the 1Password.agilekeychain file in that folder from Carbonite, you can open it in 1Password for Mac and then click the "Move to Dropbox" button in 1Password's preferences. You mention not having a desktop, but I'm not sure how else you would restore a file from Carbonite and move it to your Dropbox folder.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Thanks for your response. A couple questions:

The original backup file was created on a Mac and I only have access to a PC that does not have a copy of
    1Password. Are the backup up files compatible between PC and Mac?

Also, carbonite only allows me to download one file at a time, not entire folders. Is there a specific file I can restore (ie - a specific file with a date of my last backup)

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the additional information, harkco!

You can open your data file in 1Password for Windows as well. Unfortunately, it is an OS X file bundle which does show up as a folder in non-Mac operating systems (like Windows). Everything I am reading about Carbonite seems to indicate that Carbonite should be able to restore a folder, though. (It would seem a gross omission for backup software to not include this very fundamental feature.) :S

That being said. You could restore your most recent backup — a single file — from the "Backups" folder located inside the aforementioned folder:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/

You would obviously lose any data in your data file that was added post-backup, but that may not be anything. Only you can determine that. I would strongly advise restoring 1Password.agilekeychain as a folder if at all possible.

Once you have restored the data file (or backup file) from Carbonite, make sure that Dropbox is installed and you are logged in to your own Dropbox account. Then run 1Password and open your data (File > Open 1Password Data Folder) or restore it from a backup (Backup > Restore 1Password Data from Backup).

Once you have verified your data in 1Password for Windows, click the "Move the Dropbox" button in 1Password's preferences on the General tab. Wait for Dropbox syncing to finish.

Enable Dropbox syncing on your iPhone by opening the 1Password app and then selecting Settings > Sync > Dropbox. Once Dropbox syncing is complete on your iPhone, feel free to uninstall Dropbox and 1Password from the PC if it is not yours.

You data will still be available via Dropbox which will make sync setup virtual zero steps when/if you reinstall 1Password for Mac. With Dropbox installed, 1Password for Mac will automatically detect your data file and use it. Even if you don't sync with 1Password for Mac, Dropbox is a great form of automatic offsite backup. If you ever lose your iPhone, you can simply reinstall 1Password and then enable Dropbox syncing (skipping all the initial setup on the desktop since you already performed it). ;-)

Please let me know how it turns out.

Cheers,
  • Awesome! Thanks. I will give it a try first thing in the morning and let you know. Thanks for your time and expertise.
  • Ok - I could not wait until morning. Was able to restore the individual backup file to windows. Uploaded to dropbox. Synced with iphone! Genius! Everything is perfectly restored!

Thanks again - your help is more appreciated than you could possibly know!

-Kevin
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm so glad that everything worked out. That is great news, Kevin! :-D

Thanks for updating the thread to let me know.

If you ever need further assistance, we are always here to help.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.