"Autosubmit... running" runs eternally in menu bar

walnuthill
walnuthill
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac

There appears a rotating gear in my right menu bar. When I click on it is says, "Autosubmit... running". The gear rotates continuously whether 1Password is running or not. The only way I've found to stop it is to reboot (boo!) my Mac. I have disabled the Autosubmit checkbox in preferences to no avail.

1Password Version: 5.3 (530029)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: ug:mac/browser-preferences, kb:disable-autosubmit, ug:mac/browser-preferences, kb:diagnostics, kb-search:autosubmit running

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @walnuthill,

We don't have a good explanation as to why I'm afraid. It's our script but it's so small and simple we don't know why this is happening. Here is the total contents of that file.

--This simple script allows 1Password
    --to perform autosubmit by pressing the return key on your behalf
    tell application "System Events" to keystroke return

The first two lines are a comment so they aren't run and the next is literally as it reads, mimic the return key being pressed and that's it. As you can see, there isn't enough there to hang or go wrong so we're puzzled - very puzzled.

The 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt file lives in ~/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper and you can delete it but in the past it meant submit after filling might not work while now I think it means the submit after filling option is disabled if it was currently enabled.

Some people suffer from this, many don't and as I say - we don't know why or what we can do to fix it given the script is so remarkably simple. Given you've disabled Automatically submit logins after filling you might be quite happy to delete that file which if needed can be recreated anyway. Let us know how you get along :smile:

• hansonexperience
    hansonexperience
    Community Member

I have the same problems now. It just started some days ago. I can kill it in activity center but it still pops up every now and then and then starts rotating eternally.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hansonexperience,

I wish I could report something new but we still do not know why such a simple script should be hanging. The solution above will still work and can even be reversed if needed but this is where we stand at the moment. Sorry :(

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

I had the same issue some time ago: Yosemite + 1Pwd 5 - 1Password_Autosubmi... Running [Resolved]

It just disappeared on its own. I noticed it one more time since but again it disappeared after a sort period.

Cheers
    M

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@m w

Hi m w,

Thanks for letting us know! I'm glad the problem seems to have gone away on its own. Don't you just love problems that solve themselves? :lol:

If it does happen again, then as littlebobbytables explained above, you can solve that by deleting the auto-submit script that is getting stuck:

1. Close all browsers and 1Password.
    2. In the Finder, go to the following folder: ~/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper
    3. Delete the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt file.
    4. Reboot your Mac.

1Password should still be able to automatically submit login forms on many (if not all) of the sites where you have logins. If you ever want to reinstall the script, just open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Browser. Disable & re-enable the option for "Automatically submit logins after filling" and you'll be prompted to reinstall the script (just choose the suggested folder).

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• hershey
    hershey
    Community Member

I now have 3 occurrences of 1Password_Autosumbit running in the menu bar. Restart does not solve. Never goes away.

This problem and the current problems with Yosemite not filling forms under Safari are the kind of minor-league stuff I do not expect from AgileBits. Other alternatives to 1P come to mind and are seriously explored. I don't really want to do that.

1Password Version: 5.3
    Extension Version: 4.4.2
    OS Version: 10.10.5
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hershey,

I've merged your post with an existing thread on this matter. Drew covers how to remove the script. As I stated earlier in this thread, the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt is a single line of AppleScript. There is no loop, no known reason why it should not terminate within milliseconds. The entire script reads as follows

tell application "System Events" to keystroke return

I can't tell you why such an exceedingly simple script seems to be causing so much trouble for a few people but it does. While there are a couple of posts here in our forums it does suggest it's a small number of people affected and not a Yosemite wide issue.

I'd like to address whatever issue you're having with form filling in a separate thread please. If you post with details as to the issue we'll see what we can do.

This discussion has been closed.