4.5 is searching through everything instead of a few fields first [Fixed in the latest 6.2 betas]

Options
sashk
sashk
Community Member
edited December 2015 in iOS

I think, until this is fixed - it's not ready for release.
Why it takes 5+ seconds to show up my login in search in Category, or password?
Today I figured that out: It search through every item field.
What I think, search should be layered:

1. search through item titles
  2. login
  3. notes
  4. everything else...

Comments

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

Search is very fast for me.

How many items are in your vault? What device are you using?

Also, what does layered search mean?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Aleks B‌,

I have ~3000 items in the app on the iPhone 5S, it is very speedy for me. We added a progress spinner in the search field to indicate it is still searching but it should start showing you the data right away.

Have you killed the app in the background and try again in a fresh state? If that didn't help, what about selecting the Logins category and then search in there, does it still show the slow search experience?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Aleks B‌,

We probably won't change this for the 4.5 update but we'll address this in one of the follow-up updates. I'm guessing we'll need to filter the searches to titles and websites only first and then a button to expand other fields like in the previous 4.x versions.

• MikeT
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @Aleks B‌,

Yep, this will be changed in a follow-up update. This used to be in 4.2.x version of 1Password 4 for iOS but the last 4.2.x update had a bug that removed this, we will fix this.

• mrtoner
    mrtoner
    Community Member
    Options

Ditto. I've been hoping this would get better, but 1P takes "too much" time (5-7 seconds) to display all the results of my searches, particularly when the item I'm looking for shows up at the end of the list. Using an iPhone 4S and iPad 3 with 1,675 times.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks for your ditto!

This will be fixed in one of the follow-up updates to 4.5.

• Jonathan Lang
    Jonathan Lang
    Community Member
    Options

Seconded, it's ok but not great on iPhone 5, it's slow on iPad 2 with ~500 items... Searching through titles first should be a great fix!

• MrRooni
    Options

Sorry gents, nothing to report on this front as of yet.

• Hi @Aleks B‌,

No news on this, it's still an open bug that we will fix in a future update.

• We will, I've nudged the team to see if we can make it happen sooner as it is slow even on iPad Air 2 with its three-core CPU.

• MikeT
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @Aleks B‌,

We haven't optimized the search performance yet, that is coming in the future but we did make some improvements in other areas, which is what you already saw.

By the way, I merged your other thread into this one, it is the same issue. Creating a separate thread to bring up the issue won't improve the odds of getting it fixed.

For now, I'd suggest favoring the specific Paypal item and you can find it quickly next time in Favorites.

• [Merged thread]

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add my 2 cents, @MikeT, "Need quickly" and "Use a lot" are not necessarily the same thing. I use favorites for entries I use several times a day and for which it would be laborious to search every time. I use search to find things quickly that aren't in favorites; things I might only use once a month but need quickly. I find that search doesn't always return results closely related enough to what I need so that it meets the criterial of getting at an entry quickly, just as Aleks B has noted.

Search works alright most of the time, but I wanted to throw in a second voice to Aleks' notion that it would be great if better search results was a higher priority.

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add to the point: If I added everything I needed quickly but don't use often to my favorites menu, it would be long enough to require it's own search field ;-)

• Hi @fatherfork,

Thanks for your 2 cents. It was just a suggestion for Aleks, it doesn't mean it'd work for everybody else. There are also tags that some people might find more useful than favorites but yes, you're correct, smarter search would do the job more effective than anything else. That's simply because tags and favorites implies you've finished the search once in order to tag them to find them again. If you haven't done the search already, then tags/favorites doesn't help at all.

Just to be clear, we're not saying this isn't a priority, we do have some plans to optimize the searching to be smarter and quicker than the current iteration where it just brute-forces through everything.

• B)

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

:#

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @sashk,

Thanks for checking in on us about this, which I've mentioned to our developers. There's no further news at the moment but when we have any updates we'll be sure to let you know. I understand this can be frustrating and your patience is appreciated!

ref: OPI-454

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have asked the developers about this for you, @sashk. Right now there is nothing new to report; sorry about that!

This discussion has been closed.