Firefox 40 will not support 1Password 3 extension due to removal of the outdated widgets component

Options
KaosCoder
KaosCoder
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I upgraded to Firefox v40 today and now I don't see the 1Password button. I don't see the 1Password key icon in the Customize section, so I can't drag it back to the toolbar. I verified the extension is installed and enabled. I also removed and re-installed it, no dice.

I'm using the older 1Password extension as I prefer it to the new one and you guys said it was ok to keep using it. But I'm wondering, since Firefox can't verify it, maybe some new security feature is preventing the icon from appearing? Other extensions show up fine, the ones that are signed.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:firefox

Comments

• Dinkerdoo
    Dinkerdoo
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. I have disabled the Verification check on firefox and the extension still doesn't load.
    If I run the back up I have of Firefox 39 with the same profile I use for 40 it works just fine.
    So it's definitely a Firefox 4 issue. I believe they changed some of the hooks for extensions.

Kinda bummed as I like the old extension myself.

• fixli
    fixli
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem after Update to FF40.x

• fixli
    fixli
    Community Member
    Options

.........have to precise: I'm on WIN 7-64 Pro. But the Prob is the same: No key sign loaded for the addon. FF says it's no safe!

• rfromp
    rfromp
    Community Member
    Options

Windows 7
    Mozilla Firefox 40.0

1Password button missing in toolbar.

No 1Password icon in "Customize" menu.

Checked Add-ons Manager and it's showing 1Password however, Add-on Manager displays message "1Password could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution." There is a link to "More information" which takes you to a support page. Apparently the problem Firefox has with the Add-on is that it is not signed. The support page has a link for developers to go to "Developers: Learn more about add-on signing guidelines at Mozilla Developer Network."

• MikeT
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

We're investigating this and as far as we can tell right now, the issue is that Mozilla has removed the old library for loading icons onto the toolbar in Firefox 40, the same library we used in the previous 1Password extension. This is not related to the extension code signatures, that will be enforced starting with Firefox 41 and we are in the process of getting our 4rd version signed very soon, it should be a week or two.

We use the newer libraries in the 1Password 4 extension version. If you need the icon, you'll need to upgrade to 1Password 4, the previous extension is no longer supported and will not be updated to work with the newer Firefox versions.

In addition, 1Password 3 extension will not be signed either, so 1Password 4 extension may be the only version you can use very soon.

[**Update: ** Adam has shared more information on what happened in Firefox 40]

• johndouglas
    johndouglas
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox loaded an update, taking it to 40.0 at which point the 1Password AddOn began failing to load or display on the tool bar.
    AddOn is ver 3.9.20.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling - restarts, etc. All to no avial - please help!
    Accessing sites on the web without this is a real pain.

1Password Version: 1.0.9.342
    OS Version: Win 7 - up to date with patches
    Sync Type: local network

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @johndouglas,

I've merged your thread into this general one. The short answer is that 1Password 3 extension will not work in Firefox 40 because Mozilla has removed the widget component we used in the 3rd version of 1Password and we will not be updating to fix that as 1Password 4 is the latest version that will work fine in Firefox 40.

Please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with your license information and we might be able to do something for you.

• johndouglas
    johndouglas
    Community Member
    Options

Okay - thank you - I was considering an upgrade anyway - I guess now is the time!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @johndouglas,

You're welcome but please do email us first, so we can help you upgrade.

• johndouglas
    johndouglas
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Actually - it seems I already have a license key for v4, just never got around to installing it! Done and everything is working again.

Many thanks.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @johndouglas,

That's great to hear. That is why we ask people to wait to email us first as a lot of people didn't realize we had a grace period where 1Password 1 keys are usable in 1Password 4 as free upgrades.

• nokaoi
    nokaoi
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. Patience, grasshopper.
    however, in the process I discovered that I do not know my license. How can I find it? (I can't be certain of which email I used. I've moved and the email address may be defunct.

• nokaoi
    nokaoi
    Community Member
    Options

Still works in Safari, but Firefox is my default browser and where all my bookmarks are.

• @nokaoi - please can you email us at support+forum@agilebits.com and we can help you further with this. Thanks!

• bygrob
    bygrob
    Community Member
    Options

I only use FireFox and all of a sudden the extension will not load. I have removed it, reinstalled, nothing. I need help. I am dead in the water.

1Password Version: 1.0.9.342
    OS Version: Windows 7
    Sync Type: local cloud
    Referrer: forum-search:firefox

• nokaoi
    nokaoi
    Community Member
    Options

I have sent a message to support+forum@agilebits.com

• @nokaoi - Thanks, I see you support email and I will be replying very shortly via email.

ref: BZD-31849-236

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @bygrob,

I've merged your thread into this general thread about Firefox 40 issue. 1Password 3 extensions are not supported anymore by Firefox 40, you'd need to upgrade to 1Password 4 to use the 1Password 4th version of the extension that will work in Firefox 40.

It is very likely you can upgrade to 1Password 4 for free. To find out for sure, please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with your license information and we'll help you get this fixed.

• @bygrob - We have received your support email and I have replied back to you via email. Thanks!

ref: BSA-34768-134

• nachalnik
    nachalnik
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, those of us who who continue to use Snow Leopard (by choice and for well thought out reasons, so let's not get into any discussions about upgrading) must, at this point and into the future, stick with version 39 of Firefox.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @nachalnik,

This is the Windows forum but you can use the ESR build of Firefox, which is based on Firefox 38 and will be updated more often than Firefox 39 that will become a security risk with no updates. We've written more about your options here: https://support.1password.com/v3-extension-firefox/

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Unfortunately, those of us who continue to use Snow Leopard (by choice and for well thought out reasons, so let's not get into any discussions about upgrading) must, at this point and into the future, stick with version 39 of Firefox.

@nachalnik or...

1. Upgrade to 1Password version 4, or...
    2. Use Chrome, or...
    3. Use Safari.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And don't forget Firefox ESR 38, which will be receiving patches well into next year. Cheers! :)

• 1PWDude357
    1PWDude357
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

So are you working on a fix for FireFox in Windows 10 or are you just saying use some other browser, or rollback FF?

ff.PNG 41.8K
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1PWDude357 We have a fix for this in our version 4 web browser extension. Our old - version 3 - web browser extension will not be updated for this. Sorry.

• 1PWDude357
    1PWDude357
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Great. I had made the migration to 1Password 4. Now, where/how do I get the FF browser extension that works? Do I just download the 1PW4 .exe again and run?

*Edit...ok standby...i see the browser download link now. I am going to give this a try now. :)

• 1PWDude357
    1PWDude357
    Community Member
    Options

I updated the FF browser extension to 4.4.2 and still get the "...could not be verified..." message and cannot use. Any ideas now?

ff2.PNG 30.9K
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

@1PWDude357 That is a warning because in the stable channel we haven't signed our extension with a certicate yet (we do have a signed beta version of our extension). That being said, this should not render our extension useless in Firefox - it is just a warning on their part.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Indeed, Firefox is giving this warning now (v40) because the next release (v41) will require extensions to be approved and signed by Mozilla by default (with an option to disable this requirement), and then the release after that (v42) will require that extensions be signed. Period.

So the current stable version of the 1Password extension works just fine in Firefox 40, but if the message bothers you, you're welcome to use the beta extension instead (which is signed). Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.