App store version still won't allow iCloud data transfer

missesm
missesm
Community Member

I've bought my 1password from the App Store and I've updated all my software, but I still can't get the data transfer to show the option from iCloud. I did not buy it from the webstore and I even successfully got it on my iOS device but I can't get it to my macbook air. What do I do next? thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:i've bought app from the apple store but I still don't see an option to transfer data from icloud

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @missesm,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing some trouble getting iCloud sync to work. Please verify your setup meets the requirements laid out in this support article, and let us know if you've tried any of these troubleshooting steps yet, and where exactly it's getting stuck. The more detail you give us about what you're seeing (and screenshots are great, too!), the more effectively we can help you. Thanks! :)

Troubleshooting iCloud sync issues

• missesm
    missesm
    Community Member

Hi. I've got 10.10.4 on my macbook air and I'm running 1password version 5.3 the mac app store version. I've downloaded the app and hit the button "I've used 1password before" and the option for syncing to iCloud just doesn't show up as an option. There is a picture attached.
    According to the manual there is supposed to be a button that says iCloud at the top but its just not here. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app twice. I've got iCloud drive up and running and checked off. Any other tips would be great. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @missesm,

Thank you for the screenshot, it's very helpful for us!

Since the iCloud option is missing from that screen, it could mean a couple things: either you've downloaded the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac from our website (which you can do even if you haven't purchased a license from there), or it didn't find any 1Password data in iCloud.

It sounds like you have the Mac App Store version installed, but just to be sure, you can open the 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password. The window that opens will confirm the exact version, as well as whether it's from the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store.

Assuming the Mac App Store version is installed, there are a couple things I wanted to confirm. You mentioned you "even successfully got it on my iOS device". Do you mean you installed 1Password 5 for iOS on your device, or do you mean you were able to enable iCloud sync in 1Password 5 on your iOS device? Do you have data stored in 1Password for iOS? If you already have data in 1Password 5 for iOS and you've enabled the iCloud sync option in that app, it should also be available from your Mac.

Are you sure you're signed into the same iCloud account / Apple ID on both your Mac and iOS device? You can check that from System Preferences > iCloud on your Mac, and Settings > iCloud on iOS. In both places, the Apple ID needs to be the same.

If it's the same Apple ID on both, the next thing to check is that you have iCloud Drive enabled on your Mac. To do that, go back to System Preferences > iCloud and make sure there's a check mark next to the iCloud Drive option. You can also click the Options button next to iCloud Drive and make sure 1Password mini.app is listed and enabled.

Please let us know how it all goes up to this point, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• missesm
    missesm
    Community Member

I'm confirming that the 1password says
    map app store purchase. I was able to install 1password on my home iMac and was able to enable the iCloud sync option to my iOS device and all the data that I entered in my home iMac was waiting there for me when I opened the iOS version on my iphone6, so there is data there. Now what I'm trying to do is get the 1password app working on my macbook air at the office so I can easily login to my secure websites. I've got iCloud drive enabled and I'm signed into the same iCloud account. When I click on the options button I see that the 1password mini.app is listed and enabled. What is the next step now?
    Whats weird is that for a split second I actually see the iCloud option then it disappears very quickly. Not sure if thats helpful data or not. Thanks for advice on next steps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @missesm,

Thanks for the info & screenshot! And thanks for mentioning that the iCloud option briefly appears and then disappears - that certainly might be helpful for us to figure out the problem.

If you haven't already done so, please reboot your Mac, and after it restarts, try again to set up 1Password to see if there's any difference. It's possible you've already tried that, but I wanted to mention it just in case that helps.

If that doesn't help, one thing you can try is to set up 1Password as a new user on your work Mac, making sure to choose the same master password that you use on your other Mac and iPhone. Once you have the new, empty, Primary vault set up, go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, choose the Sync tab, and try selecting iCloud as the sync option. If it doesn't work, is it because there's no iCloud option there? Or do you get an error message? Or something else?

Also, if that last suggestion doesn't work, try opening a new Finder window on your Mac and select iCloud Drive from the Favorites list on the left side of that window (or go to the Go > iCloud Drive menu option). You won't see anything for 1Password in your iCloud Drive, but what I'm curious about is if that seems to work in general. In other words, does it show you other folders in iCloud Drive for other apps, and are you able to view their contents?

• missesm
    missesm
    Community Member

Hello,

I tried restarting the computer and it doesn't help. When I set up a new vault and chose the sync tab it allows me to select iCloud but there is no data that it connects with. No error message, just no login data previously entered. See pictures. Lastly, if I select Go> iCloud Drive I see 3 other apps which is pages, preview and keynote. I called applecare and they said those are the only 3 apps you should see there. I am able to view their contents.
    Any other thoughts?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @missesm,

Thanks for the info & screenshots. If you were able to enable iCloud sync, but it didn't sync any of the data from the vault on your home iMac and iPhone, that would normally indicate there's no 1Password data in your iCloud account. That would also explain why you didn't have an iCloud option when setting up 1Password on that Mac (in other words, if it doesn't find existing 1Password data in iCloud, it won't give an option to sync existing data from iCloud during the setup). However, you previously said you're using the same iCloud account on both Macs and iPhone. Just to make sure, did you check that by going to System Preferences > iCloud on your Macs, and did that show the same, exact Apple ID on both Macs?

Also, on your home iMac, please open the 1Password app and go to 1Password > About 1Password. Can you please confirm that also shows it's version 5.3 from the Mac App Store? If you go to Preferences > Sync on that same iMac, is iCloud sync still enabled?

I apologize for having you double-check those things! I wouldn't normally do that, but because your MacBook is behaving as if there's no 1Password data in your iCloud account, I just want to be extra certain that we haven't missed a small detail that would explain what's happening. We appreciate your patience while we try to help you solve this! :)

• missesm
    missesm
    Community Member

It worked! So it looks like, as you said, both macs have to be on the same iCloud account, and not just my iOS device. Thanks for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @missesm,

I'm glad to hear that you're all sorted out now! Please let us know if there's anything more we can do to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.