UK localisation

Options
SurfnTurf
SurfnTurf
Community Member

Hi,

I just wondered what progress had been made to increase 1Password's relevance to non-North American users?

In particular, I'm referring to:
Bank Accounts - do we have ISA and Current accounts yet?
Bank Cards - do we have debit card options yet?

Isn't a British ISA practically identical to the Canadian TFSA? Odd you haven't implemented this already.

I'd also like to echo catalonia's request for a SIM wallet item type. It should include a dedicated field for ICCID, and obfuscation-protected sections for:
SIM PIN
PUK
PUK2

Again, given that you're a Canadian company, I'm surprised you haven't implemented this already. Surely Rogers/Fido is big enough to warrant it?

Also, could you give me some idea of the changes that come with the British English language pack that I've heard is available for 1P5+? How is it installed and applied?

Apologies for the sarcasm, but I've been waiting a long time for these changes, and without them I'm reluctant to pay the ~£22 upgrade fee (Mac & iOS apps). In the meantime 1Password 3 is looking increasingly ancient…

Cheers.

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: Ad-Hoc WiFi

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I just wondered what progress had been made to increase 1Password's relevance to non-North American users?

I, with others, as volunteers deal with the UK English localisation on Crowdin. In current release versions of 1P for Mac and 1P for iOS the localisation is completed. You can help with localisation by creating an account there if you wish. You'll understand the only strings that can be localised are those present in the original Canadian English 1P version (which I don't recall includes any TFSA account).

I suspect most people simply put a debit card in the Credit Cards category. It doesn't really offend my own sense of organisation to do so :) as I don't really want a proliferation of similar categories (which is not to deny than you may, of course :) ).

Also, could you give me some idea of the changes that come with the British English language pack that I've heard is available for 1P5+? How is it installed and applied?

If you install 1P5 on a device using UK English the localisation will auto-magically appear. :) In other words, it's linked to the localisation of your device. There is no separate "pack". The same applies to 1P4 and 1P5 for Mac.

I've not commented specifically on your request for a SIM category as I'm merely a volunteer here on the forums and I don't work for AgileBits. I hope what I have said clarifies matters a little.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SurfnTurf,

I hope that Stephen's answer has been helpful to you!

We really appreciate your feedback here with respect to categories. As Drew mentioned in his response to Catalonia, new or revised types of categories are a popular feature request. We are paying close attention to the requests that users make and will take these requests into account when we re-design 1Password's categories.

If you have any further questions, we're happy to help. :)

• SurfnTurf
    SurfnTurf
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C: "You'll understand the only strings that can be localised are those present in the original Canadian English 1P version". Does this mean "Driver's License" has been appropriately amended to "Driving Licence", and "Social Security Number" has been amended to, "National Insurance Number", in the en_gb localisation?

@Megan: Can you comment on why a SIM category hasn't been provided yet? It does seem an odd omission—not everyone in Canada uses CDMA, and you've an entire European continent that does use SIMs to cater for.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SurfNTurf,

When 1Password's database was designed, it was built in such a way that doesn't allow for a lot of wiggle room with respect to categories. Clearly, we didn't do this to purposely exclude additional categories, but it is a side-effect of the database design. You'll notice that we haven't changed 1Password's category set since the introduction of 1Password 4. So, it's not that SIM cards have been excluded where others have been added, it's just that we are still using the category set that we began with. Because we offer 1Password across a wide variety of platforms, any significant change to the database structure of the app will have to be implemented across all platforms - it's not a simple matter to just pop in an extra category!

For the time being, your best bet is to make use of the Secure Notes category for any information that doesn't fit into our pre-defined category set. With custom fields in Secure Notes, it's simple to build your own database structure for nearly any type of information that you want to keep secure.

As I mentioned above, we do hear a lot of requests for a whole variety of different categories of data that users wish to store in 1Password, and frankly, that's awesome. We'd love to be a one-stop-shop for all your secure data! You can be certain that we'll be thinking carefully about this issue when it becomes time to re-design 1Password's category structure.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Does this mean "Driver's License" has been appropriately amended to "Driving Licence"

No—because I took the view that was not an appropriate direct localisation from the original. It's been localised to "Driver's licence".

and "Social Security Number" has been amended to, "National Insurance Number"

Yes.

Stephen

• SurfnTurf
    SurfnTurf
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan: "For the time being, your best bet is to make use of the Secure Notes category for any information that doesn't fit into our pre-defined category set." Don't get me wrong, but it sounds as though my "best best" may be to start looking for a password manager where I'm likely to get the features I'm looking for within a reasonable time-frame. But thank you for finally coming clean on the unlikelihood of the implementation any time soon. I realise it gives you less of a hold on me (and others) as a customer now that I'm not on tenterhooks, so kudos for the selflessness.

@Stephen_C: "I took the view that was not an appropriate direct localisation from the original. It's been localised to "Driver's licence"." I'm curious: in what way is "Driver's Licence" more appropriate than the official DVLA term, "Driving Licence"? Were you unaware that "Driving Licence" is the official term? It's also what's used in Ireland, so I'm not seeing which English-speaking country in this region you're trying to comply with.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Were you unaware that "Driving Licence" is the official term?

I am perfectly well aware of what people commonly call a driver's licence in this country (the UK). As I've already explained, I did not feel it appropriate to move too far from the core 1Password phrase—which at least has the advantage of encompassing any other licence for a driver which a UK citizen may hold (e.g., from any other country).

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SurfnTurf,

I wanted to thank you for your feedback & thoughts about translations and categories in 1Password. We absolutely love that we have customers who are passionate enough to take time to let us know about things like this! It really helps us to improve 1Password, which in turn helps other customers, and allows us to make a living doing what we love as a result. Thank you for your support! :)

One thing I would like to reiterate is that Stephen_C is a volunteer here on our forums and in our Crowdin translation project, and is not an employee of AgileBits (although I think I speak for everyone here when I say we think of him as part of the team/family). He volunteers his own time to help other customers on our support forums, and with translations on Crowdin. There are many other volunteers who help with the translations as well. If you think a translation can be improved, it's enough to simply let us know, and we'll be happy to pass that along to our developers. Or better yet, please feel free to join the Crowdin project to help make the translations the best they can be! If you'd be interested in helping, you can sign up for an account here: http://crowdin.net

Now as far as new/additional item categories are concerned, as Megan explained, it's more difficult to do that than it might seem. That doesn't mean we'll never add more, but we'd need to make significant changes to the database structure and coordinate those changes across several different supported platforms, as well as make sure those changes won't cause a problem when syncing with previous versions of the software. Is it possible to add more categories? Of course! And hopefully we will, but it might take longer than you're willing to wait.

I completely understand why a SIM category (or other categories) would be useful for you. However, please keep in mind we do receive many, many requests for additional categories from our customers (not to mention other feature requests), and unfortunately we simply can't add them all. Even if we could, having such an enormous list of categories to choose from would likely cause a lot of confusion and complaints (and we would probably still receive requests for additional categories).

Personally, I think a better solution would be to add the ability for customers to create their own, custom categories. And that's something we'd definitely like to do, but will take a lot of time and resources to implement that. If and when we do, it would likely be part of a larger UI/category redesign. We can't just drop everything else in order to tweak the categories, though - it isn't fair to the other things that need our attention.

If having a SIM category (or other categories you have in mind) is important enough to you that you'd consider switching to a different password manager, we would certainly be sad about that - but we also realize there's no single password manager that is the right fit for everyone. Ultimately you would need to make the decision you feel is best for your own needs, and while we hope you'll continue using 1Password, we understand if you don't.

If you do decide to keep using 1Password, there are a couple suggestions that might be helpful for you. We've already suggested using Secure Notes for data that doesn't fit anywhere else, and you can also add custom fields to Secure Notes (or other items) for the information you want to store there.

If you want to create multiple items with the same, custom fields (similar to being able to create your own custom categories), you can create a blank item (Secure Note or otherwise) and add your custom sections/fields (and even a custom icon if you want) before saving it. That can serve as a "template" you can use to create (for example) multiple SIM items. Simply right-click on that blank item to duplicate it, and fill your information in the copy the way you want. Essentially, this lets you have custom templates so you don't have to keep adding the same custom fields/sections all the time. You can even add a Tag to those items so they're all listed together under the same tag in 1Password, and/or collect them together in a Smart Folder if you'd like.

I don't expect any of this will change your mind of course, but I wanted to mention it in case you find it useful. Again, we really do appreciate your feedback - it's important for us to know what you and the rest of our awesome customers want. I hope we'll be able to make improvements in the future that you'll enjoy! In the meantime, if you need anything else, you know where to find us. :)

This discussion has been closed.