browser extension and desktop app not synced

I have the browser extension running in Firefox and, not only does it show all my passwords, but I can add new passwords no problem.

However, when I launch the desktop app, it asks me to find the existing passwords file and the files on my computer are all damaged. Which is strange because the browser extension is actively working.

Any idea how to fix this?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paborden,

That's a very strange problem, I'm sorry the main 1Password app isn't working! We'll need a few more details in order to help figure out what's going on. Can you please let us know the following:

• What exact version of 1Password is on your Mac? (If possible, open the 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password.)
    • What version of Mac OS X is running on your Mac?
    • What version of Firefox are you using?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Firefox? (You can find this in Firefox under Tools > Add-ons.)

Finally, it will help if you can take a screenshot of the error message you get when trying to open 1Password. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks!

• paborden
    paborden
    Community Member

1password 3.9.20 for firefox
    firefox 36.0.1
    1password 3.8.21 for mac
    osx 10.10.2

here's the error I get

and yet the extension is fine

let me know if you need anything else!

• I have the same problem!!! Please help us out. I don't want to uninstall the firefox application because I don't want to lose all of the passwords that have been saved onto it but haven't synced with the desktop app or my phone.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Justin Password lover please provide the same information as that requested in post #2.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paborden,

I've got some bad news I'm afraid.

With 1Password 3 the extension maintained it's own database inside the browser. Under normal conditions it kept this in sync with the main database in 1Password 3 via a helper process. The problem with this setup is once that connection is broken there isn't a way to re-establish the link if you need to start with a new instance of 1Password 3 (which the welcome screen indicates to be the case). We changed this completely in 1Password 4.

If you had been running Safari or Chrome we had a way where you could export the entire extension database to then import back into the main application but it doesn't work with Firefox.

You're left with one unpleasant option. You will need to slowly work at manually copying each item back into a new vault. It's going to probably take a while, you're probably going to curse a bit but at the moment it's your only option. I am sorry to have to tell you this and I wish I had better news to give.

What might be worth doing right now is making a copy of your Firefox profile as a safety measure. I'd recommend making a copy of the entire folder you can find at ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox. I only suggest this given everything is currently relying on the extension in Firefox and I'm sure you don't want anything to harm it. Whatever you do do not uninstall that extension as I believe it will delete the database and then you are in a very bad place indeed.

• paborden
    paborden
    Community Member

Can you provide instructions for Chrome? The extension there is up to date ...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

You have an up-to-date extension in Chrome? Fantastic!

I'll message you in just a moment.

• Astara
    Astara
    Community Member

I am running into this same issue while trying to update my Lady's computer. We updated to OS X 10.10.5, Safari 8.0.8, and have the latest Chrome. I get this message when clicking on the browser extension and have followed the trouble shooting tips with no success.

I can successfully add new passwords to the browser extension but no luck when looking for those newly added sites in the app. I would like to continue upgrading to 4 or 5 but am nervous that all will be lost since I can't seem to get the current browser extension to sync with the current 3.8.22 1password app.

Thanks for you help

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Astara,

I will contact you momentarily regarding this.

This discussion has been closed.