1Password will not open a page if the browser is already on a page on that domain

Options

One of my pet peeves with 1Password is that if you are on a page of the domain of a website (could even be a subdomain), and you want to then login to that site, you have to first close that tab and open a new tab. You cannot just use the 1Password browser extension to load the page. If you do so, 1Password does not take any action. If you were not aware of the fact that you had to close the tab, you would think 1Password is just broken.

Is there another way to do this without closing the open browser page?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

Could you tell us a bit more about your system please. I ask as part of the behaviour you're describing doesn't match my own.

You're correct, if you're on the same domain (subdomain or otherwise) we won't simply throw away the page you're on - what we attempt to do is see if we can fill on that page. That is intended behaviour and helps for when a site asks for you to re-authenticate or if they have multiple login pages at different URLs and so on.

What I don't have to do though is close the existing tab to log into a fresh one. For me all I need to do is open a new tab and either visit the correct login page and fill or use our open and fill where you select the specific Login item after locating either by navigating the menu or filtering with the search bar.

So I'm just wondering if we have different set ups. Can you tell us about the following please.

1. Your operating system and version of OS.
    2. Which version of 1Password you are running.
    3. Your preferred browser and browser version.
    4. Which version of the 1Password extension is installed.

If you are seeing a different hopefully that will help us understand why :smile:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Opening a new tab does work. Other password managers do not make you do this.

Opening a tab is somewhat similar to opening a new browser instance. If you were not using tabs at all, but opening new browser instances, would 1P make you open a new browser to login to a site that is open in an existing browser? (Again, the the hypothetical case of not using tabs). That seems kind of odd. Like the work flow would be the following: browse around a site; decide to login; have to remember to open a different browser (or tab) to get it to work. Seems like you would just want to be able to login using open and fill.

It seems to me when you use "open and fill", you are intending to login where you are not presently logged in. You should not have to ask yourself before being able to open and fill whether you need to open a new tab first. In the rare case of a situation in which you have multiple logins on a site, you would then have to realize that you need to open a new tab to keep both logins.

But in many sites, you cannot have two logins open at the same time, even in different tabs, because of the way the cookies and sessions are handled. So the case you are trying to provide for is not even workable on those cases.

Instead I frequently find myself in the case of "try to use open and fill; nothing happens; oh, yes, I need to open a new tab first". I am pretty rarely in the case of "try to use open and fill -- nuts that took me out of another login for the same site". It seems you are optimizing for the rarely occurring situation at the expense of a very common situation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

@jasimon9: It absolutely depends on the OS and browser versions you're using. In some this is simply not possible. Since you're not using a hypothetical browser, letting us know the setup you're using may allow us to offer a solution, or at the very least improve 1Password going forward, depending on the technical feasibility. But without that basic information it's impossible to offer anything more specific.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

My primary environment is Chrome on the Mac.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

If I understand correctly you want 1Password to recognise it isn't on the recorded login page for this domain and essentially throw away the current tab if the item you select and the current open page are the same domain instead of the current.

The request can be recorded but while this might common for you we'd want to make sure this is a preferred approach for the majority of our users. Now it might be I'm still not understanding the scenario you're trying to describe as I can't think of a time where logging into one tab didn't result in me also being logged in the other too. Cookies aren't per tab and a tab isn't an isolated instance unless you're operating in Incognito mode in Chrome (for example). The reason I say this is when we write up a feature request we need to sell it to the developers essentially. If we do a bad job of explaining why this change is good it won't stand a chance. That's one big reason why it really helps us to understand.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

I am wondering if a screencast would be helpful to you, to show you the sequence of events. If so, how would I send you that?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jasimon9,

Apologies for the delay in responding. If you feel from my previous post that I'm not picking up on an important aspect of this topic then it is possible a screencast may help; after all, there can be some truth to the adage that a picture is worth a thousand words :smile: The easiest way to send it would probably be using Dropbox as the storage medium and to then email us the link to the screencast to support@agilebits.com. If you were to set the subject of the email to FAO: LittleBobbyTables that would ensure I'm made aware of it and I will happily continue the discussion of the issue over email.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I've seen this too, with Citi bank I think, and with perhaps one other site. I'll monitor and report back any findings.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.