Trouble with old 1Password 3 Firefox extension not working in Firefox 40 and later

Options
hidef
hidef
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

I guess you have seen, that Firefox has begun with v.39 to need it's extensions to be signed (as an additional security measure). Now with v.40 they have set it one notch more strict. I get a warning for the extension: "1Password could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution." With an info link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-on-signing-in-firefox?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

Surprisingly, I didn't find any information to that subject on your website - I guess it will be for all Firefox supported desktop platforms, not only OS X. All but two of my other Extensions got signed updates in the last few weeks. But 1Password is my most important one to lag behind...

**When can I expect a signed 1Password extension for Firefox? I don't want the 1Password extension to be be excluded when Firefox v.41 (or so) comes out!
Btw. It would be nice, to have it signed not only for the normal Firefox, but for the Firefox Developper Edition, too. If possible. I use both versions.

Thank you for your information and have a nice day.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:firefox extension signing

Comments

• bikewhisperer
    bikewhisperer
    Community Member
    Options

The new update to firefox 40.0 does not permit your extension to be used due to it not being signed. Your extension is also not available on the official firefox ad-ons site. Any idea when to expect an update?

1Password Version: 1.0.9.342
    Extension Version: 3.9.20
    OS Version: windows 10
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: kb-search:firefox, kb:configure-foxyproxy, kb:missing-extension-button, kb-search:firefox, kb:missing-extension-button

• askewchan
    askewchan
    Community Member
    Options

Here is some more information on add-on signing:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-on-signing-in-firefox

It would be nice to have the 1PW addon be signed.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @bikewhisperer,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Firefox is indeed moving toward requiring all extensions to be installed from their Add-ons site (like Chrome has done with the Chrome Web Store for a long time now). It is a great move, and we'll be ready for it when it is required.

However, you should still be able to install the current version of the extension (4.4.2) from our website just like in the past. The change in Firefox isn't until version 41 of Firefox is released.

Note that you will need to upgrade 1Password for Windows to the current version as well. The current version of 1Password for Windows is 4.6.0.585. You indicated that you are running 1.0.9.342. All 1Password for Windows licenses purchased in 2013 or later are valid for 1Password 4 for Windows when it was released over a year ago. Drop us a line of you have any questions or trouble with your key! support+licenses@agilebits.com

How do I upgrade 1Password for Windows from version 1?

I think you will find that the app itself is improved and the current extension works well in Firefox 40. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help. :)

Cheers!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @askewchan and @hidef,

We merged your posts with this existing thread. Please see my reply above and let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards!

• hidef
    hidef
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks @khad for the prompt response.
    I'm glad to hear that you will be ready "on time" with a signed 1PW extension. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's my pleasure! Please do let us know if there is (ever) anything else we can help with. :)

• Irvin
    Irvin
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Distribution
    According to above article you can still publish add-on on 1password sites, just submit the addon to AMO and let it run automatic test, then download the signed xpi for hosting on site.

BTW, Firefox beta versions (beta, dev, nightly...) are said to have up to 10% of overall Firefox usage, and all of those user cannot use 1password now, so please do fast.

• mikerhodes
    mikerhodes
    Community Member
    Options

At this point, you can still use about:config to disable signature verification. The below page says that this will remain in Dev and Nightly forever (which makes sense, as these will be used to develop addons). Release and betas will disable this workaround in v42, which is a while away yet.

See details at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing

• redesigned
    redesigned
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

1Password disabled itself in Firefox Dev 41.0a2 (2015-08-04) because it wasn't signed. I was able to go to about:config and change the value for xpinstall.signatures.required to false which got it working again with a warning about it being unsigned.

Any idea when the signed versions will be available?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redesigned,

I don't have a precise ETA I'm afraid but we know we have a hard deadline and this is one of our top priorities. We're only letting the devs sleep right now as we find they rant more when tired :tongue:

Joking aside, this is a top priority and we are working on it.

• redesigned
    redesigned
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables thanks for the update. as a developer myself, I appreciate looking after your devs...respect! glad to hear this is a top priority.

does anyone yet know if the plugin will auto-update to a signed version when it becomes available or if we'll have to reinstall through the firefox extension site?

also, what is the best way to get notified when the signed versions are released?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redesigned,

We fully intend to host the signed version of the extension from our site so we're not anticipating any issues for our customers at the moment (fingers crossed). As we'll be hosting the signed version Firefox should simply auto-update as it always does and you'll simply be rocking a signed version. Ideally (although maybe not what you're specifically after) we're hoping nobody needs to get notified that the signed version is released and instead people simply don't notice because Firefox is happy. I can certainly try and remember to post here when we have a signed stable version ready though.

• redesigned
    redesigned
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables that is good news. if you do remember to post back here that would be great so that I can flip the xpinstall.signatures.required setting back, but if not no big deal. thanks again for all the helpful info and responses, it is appreciated.

• ectwalker
    ectwalker
    Community Member
    Options

Sooner is better than later. This is a major snag in my workflow.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sooner is better than later. This is a major snag in my workflow.

@ectwalker: Indeed! That's why It's good that the stable version of Firefox still works just fine, while we wait for Mozilla to approve and sign the extension. In the mean time, you can find more information in our knowledgebase:

Firefox Extension Signing

Cheers! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redesigned,

Do you run the stable or beta version of our extension? If you tend to run the beta please uninstall it, quit Firefox and then re-install. That's just for the beta though.

• redesigned
    redesigned
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables I run the stable version so I should be okay, thanks for the heads up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• kevinburke2
    kevinburke2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi folks,
    I'm running Firefox 40.0 on Mac and the 1Password extension no longer appears in the icon list to the right of the search bar. It appears in the "Add-Ons" menu, but there's no key icon visible when browsing around the Internet. (I am still using version 3.9.20 of the 1Password Firefox extension).

Here's my about:config, what do I need to change to make it show up again? https://api.monosnap.com/rpc/file/download?id=7M0ccqE3QwiocoI9lbA6YdlebB6ylD

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kevinburke2,

The extension signing is a red herring here. Unfortunately Firefox 40 removed something called the widgets module which the old 1Password 3 Extension relied on. We have an article that talks about this as well as the options available to people still running 1Password 3 for Mac. The article is 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later. Even if we were to issue a signed version of the old extension (which isn't as easy as simply signing the packaged extension) it would't make any difference due to the widgets module.

• hidef
    hidef
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

There will be much more changes to Firefox in the near future than just signing... The whole extensions API will change!

But after the change it will be closer to Chrome and the development of extensions for multiple browsers should be easier...
    Probably you could just ditch the old FF extension and retouch the Chrome extension you already have, to make it run with the new FF API.

Here's the overview report of TheNextWeb: thenextweb.com/apps/2015/08/21/firefox-will-soon-be-able-to-run-chrome-extensions-following-major-changes/

Here's the full Firefox blog entry: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08/21/the-future-of-developing-firefox-add-ons/

This means no pause for the poor agilebits coders ;-)
    Go for it & thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

But after the change it will be closer to Chrome and the development of extensions for multiple browsers should be easier...

@hidef: Here's hoping! :pirate:

But to be clear, 1Password 3 simply doesn't have what it takes to support the new (1Password 4/5) extensions anyway, (they weren't around at the time) so this would only help cross-browser development.

This means no pause for the poor agilebits coders ;-)
    Go for it & thank you!

Thanks for your support! I'll be honest, the development team acts like we work them like dogs, but secretly I think they like it. ;)

This discussion has been closed.