Deleted vault

Options
deanh
deanh
Community Member

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, am not particularly tech-savvy, and have just upgraded to 1 Password 5 (old laptop using 1password 3 died- new laptop running Yosemete). Error messages and the forum told me of the need to delete older versions of 1 Password. I deleted my copy of 1 Password 3 using AppCleaner (Yes, I've now learned that's not the way to do it) and started to empty the trash. I stopped the emptying when I read further on the forum.
On reopening 1 Password 5 I fear I have lost the vault . Backup options were given by 1 Password
Finder Search says I have backup on Carbon Copy Cloner, yet I cannot find the file when I look in the place indicated.
What to do? I wonder if I should save a copy of 1Password 5 on other media and attempt to use Carbon Copy Cloner to reset the laptop to what it was before I started removing 1Password 3.
Or do I have to lose the logins etc and start using 1 Password from scratch?
Or is there another solution?
I'd be pleased to hear your thoughts

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @deanh,

When you used AppCleaner, if it removed both a 1Password and 1Password 4 folders from your ~/Library/Application Support/ folder then yes, it will have done a significant amount of damage.

The following should help you locate the relevant files in your backup.

In the path above, OS X translates the ~ to the path for your user profile. Using my account as an example, the account is called LittleBobbyTables so ~ translates to /Users/LittleBobbyTables/. When we refer to ~/Library/Application Support/ that would translate to /Users/LittleBobbyTables/Library/Application Support/ for me. In your Backup you should be looking for the path:

/Users/XXXXXX/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 where XXXXXX is whatever your user account is titled. If you can find that folder then copying the entire 1Password 4 folder back to your Mac should be sufficient. That way you can avoid restoring an entire backup.

Now the above assumes your backup was taken recently enough that it would have backed up 1Password 5. If it didn't then you would be looking for /Users/XXXXXX/Library/Application Support/1Password instead which is the old 1Password 3 folder. Once we know you have that we can guide you through the steps to get 1Password 5 kick started again. Hopefully you find one of those and if you can let us know what you find we can help with any issues.

• deanh
    deanh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you littlebobbytables for your straightforward and kind reply.
    Circumstances have me away from my backup disc for the next 24 hours. I do have the 1 Password and 1Password 4 folders in the Trash, but I wonder if they've been corrupted at all by my partial emptying of the Trash . So I shall search (for 1Password in my case) when I have the backup to hand.
    (I assume the 1Password folder I find in the backup should be copied into /Library/Application Support on my Mac - there is no Library folder under /Users/XXXX/ )
    I'll write again when I have the folder.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @deanh,

Depending on what was permanently deleted and what wasn't we might be able to salvage something from the Trash.

If you find any file that ends in .1p4_zip this is a single file (so no need to worry about partial damage) and represents a backup from 1Password 4/5 - this we could use to kick start 1Password 5.

If you find any file that ends in .agilekeychain_zip this is a single file (so again, no concern over partial damage) and represents a backup from 1Password 3. We could use this to kick start either 1Password 3 or 1Password 4/5.

It might be the Data folder is usable but it normally contains several files and some are optional so it will be hard to say if the folder is complete or not. For that reason if Trash was to be an option we'd be best using a backup file if it exists. Now both backups contain the date and time of the backup so you'll be able to have an idea of how current it is and if it's usable.

When it comes time to restoring it will need to be in your user's Library folder which is quite different from /Library/. In later versions of OS X Apple have decided to hide the user's Library folder so they don't accidentally damage anything important. You can access your own Library folder in one of two ways.

You can make your Library folder permanently visible by first selecting your user folder in Finder and then using the keyboard shortcut ⌘J to open the View Options. In there you will see an option titled Show Library Folder but this option is only visible if you do this on the user folder - it won't work if your Desktop or Documents folder is in focus.

You can visit your Library folder without it being visible too.

1. Open a Finder window.
    2. Use the keyboard shortcut `⇧⌘G' to open a Go to the Folder window.
    3. Paste in the following path ~/Library/ and click the Go button.

I'm sure it was a sensible decision for Apple to make given the majority use-case but in situations like this it's a bit frustrating for you as the user if you don't know they've done this.

Let us know what you find and we can work with you from there :smile:

• deanh
    deanh
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hello again littlebobbytables, and thanks for the information, especially how to find the ~/Library folder.
    Life has thrown me a curve ball in the last 24 hours, making me put efforts elsewhere. But I'm back to this now.

I've been trying to upload screenshots with some frustration as I learned how to - so here is my attempt to give you some screenshots of the folders and files I've found:

On the Mac in the ~/Library/Application Support folder I found

In the back up I found:

In the Trash I found:

If these images don't work, I'll type out the filenames -let's hope the images are OK.

Images adjusted

• deanh
    deanh
    Community Member
    Options

Clicking on the links I've just posted gets to an error screen, so it appears I've got something wrong with the links: I clicked on the IMG links in photobucket to copy them, and they are the links the program gave. It all seemed so simple on the "how to" video!
    So, here comes lots of typing:
    On the Mac in the ~/Library/Application Support folder I found:
    Application Support (folder)
    1 Password 4 (folder)
    Backups (folder)
    seven files of the type 1Password yyyy-mm-dd hh_mm_ss (0 profiles, 0 items, 0 folders,0 attachments).1p4.zip
    [all from 22 August, each 4KB in size]
    Data
    OnePassword.sqlite
    OnePassword.sqlite-shm
    OnePassword.sqlite-wal

In the back up I found:
    Application Support (folder)
    1 Password (folder)
    1 Password.agilekeychain 18 August 22 KB
    Agent (folder)
    1PasswordAgent.app
    Backups
    nine files of the type 1Password yyyy-mm-dd hh_mm_ss (196 items).agilekeychain_zip 4MB
    [the latest being from June 2015]

In the Trash I found:
    1 Password (folder)
    Backups (folder)
    1 Password 2015-08-21 150043 (209 items).agilekeychain.zip 4.8MB
    Extensions (folder)
    31499 (folder)
    32009 (folder)
    32010 (folder

Perhaps there will be a helpful file there.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @deanh,

I have to just ask, when did photobucket get so unfriendly? ouch! Should you ever need to post a screenshot in the future there is a much easier way for you to do so and that's to add it to your post and have our forums take care of the hassle of hosting the file online. You can attach images to a post here in the forums using this image as a reference.

Now back to the issue at hand.

If you can drag the 1 Password 2015-08-21 150043 (209 items).agilekeychain.zip file from your Trash to your Desktop then I think we've found the file to use and here is how I would recommend you proceed.

1. First, you will want to follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide for the AgileBits Store version. What you have at the moment is an empty vault with nothing in it and we may as well get rid of all of that.
    2. Then you will want to look at our Using existing 1Password data on a new computer page. As your existing data is a backup it's the Elsewhere on your Mac section you're specifically interested in.

I believe those two guides should get you up and running again using the back from the 21st which thankfully is pretty new. I'm kind of hoping you've lost nothing and that you've had a bit of luck go your way. Keep us posted!

• deanh
    deanh
    Community Member
    Options

Well littlebobbytables, the saga goes on.
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
    All went well till part 2 in your last post.
    1 Password 2015-08-21 150043 ...agilekeychan.zip would not unzip with the inbuilt compressor in the Mac, nor two third party applications I downloaded (iZip and Winzip Mac). You can see the file is greyed out in the "In the trash I found:" image above, and could not be selected.
    Sadly the most recent other ....agilekeychain.zip file in the backup (1 Password 2015-06-07 ....agilebitskeychain.zip) also could not be unzipped by any of the applications: the native Mac software did not do anything, iZip gave an error message: "the file is either missing, damaged, not the first part of a multi-part set, or an unsupported archive type", and Winzip showed the files greyed out and unable to be selected when on its "open Zip file from this Mac" page.

It seems to me the .1p4.zip files will be of little use if they have zero content. Even those files will not unzip.

I wonder if there is anything I'm not doing properly, if there is any other approach, or if I'm reaching the end of the saga.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @deanh,

Unless you've renamed it, the name of the backup file you're trying to unzip ends in .agilekeychain_zip (notice the underscore), so that will cause some trouble when trying to unzip it.

What you'll need to do is rename that backup file (or to be safe, make a copy of it and rename the copy) to the following: 1Password.agilekeychain.zip

If you see a message asking if you want to add the extension ".zip" to the end of the name, choose Add. Now you should be able to double-click the new 1Password.agilekeychain.zip file to unzip it, and the new file will be named simply 1Password.agilekeychain.

Assuming that works as expected, you can now choose to sync your data from the 1Password.agilekeychain file when setting up 1Password (as described in step 2 from littlebobbytables' instructions). Does that help? Hopefully that takes care of the problem, but let us know how it all works out for you.

• deanh
    deanh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so very much, DrewAG and littlebobbytables,
    Hooray! 1 Password is up and running with most of my entries intact (I used the 1Password.agilekeychain from June - the file from August refused to unzip) and I'm very happy.
    I truly appreciate your guidance and patience.
    deanh

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @deanh! I'm really glad to hear it's sorted out and 1Password is working again. I imagine it was a great feeling when you saw your data again. :)

If you need help with anything else, you know where you find us! ;)

This discussion has been closed.