1Password 4.6.0.585 Questions

Options

Just upgraded from 1Password 3 version 1.0.9.340 and have some questions.

1. Why are all the Warnings options (except for 1Password Vault has been detected in your Dropbox) in the Preferences grayed out?

2. I have some sites that were saved on https that are now http sites. (all on same domain) When I click on the 1Password icon in the browser they have a Warning triangle next to them and they will not feel. Cannot find an option to override this. Worked fine in previous version.

3. When I have multiple logins for a single site AND I am displaying 1Password in the tray the list to select the login pops up in the tray rather than where the login input fields are. (not good)

4. Locking behavior is screwy. If I do NOT display 1Password in the task tray (notification area) then the Lock when main window is closed becomes checked and grayed out. (it is forced on me) Then I have to keep unlocking all the time. If I display it then I have the issue in #3

5. Where is the old option for syncing the lock so that it is globally locked or unlocked across browsers and app? I have the Preferences >> Browser >> When unlocking the application, also unlock 1Password in the browser option selected. However, I do not have the "Unlock on Secure Desktop" option checked and have no clue what it means. Details?

6. Preference >> Logins >> Show X More items ... - I am guessing that displaying this would be instead of showing the full list of items. Could you explain this feature a bit more.

Thanks

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro SP1
Sync Type: None

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Why are all the Warnings options (except for 1Password Vault has been detected in your Dropbox) in the Preferences grayed out?

@Carl: The warnings are not options unless you have seen them and disabled them.

I have some sites that were saved on https that are now http sites. (all on same domain) When I click on the 1Password icon in the browser they have a Warning triangle next to them and they will not feel. Cannot find an option to override this. Worked fine in previous version.

1Password saves the URL of the login form when you create the item initially, so unless the form was secure (HTTPS://) 1Password will not have saved a secure URL. There is no guarantee that any give URL is also accessible via SSL, so 1Password won't assume that and change the protocol for you. It just saves where you tell it to.

When I have multiple logins for a single site AND I am displaying 1Password in the tray the list to select the login pops up in the tray rather than where the login input fields are. (not good)

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you include a screenshot along with the exact steps you're taking? It sounds like maybe you don't have 1Password running and unlocked.

Locking behavior is screwy. If I do NOT display 1Password in the task tray (notification area) then the Lock when main window is closed becomes checked and grayed out. (it is forced on me) Then I have to keep unlocking all the time. If I display it then I have the issue in #3

If the main 1Password app is not running, it cannot unlock. Period. Similarly, the Helper (in the notification area) runs the browser extensions. If you have them both running (1Password can minimize to the notification area) the main 1Password app and the Helper (and therefore the browser extensions) can all unlock together.

Where is the old option for syncing the lock so that it is globally locked or unlocked across browsers and app? I have the Preferences >> Browser >> When unlocking the application, also unlock 1Password in the browser option selected. However, I do not have the "Unlock on Secure Desktop" option checked and have no clue what it means. Details?

See above. Secure Desktop is a Windows security feature which prevents other processes from accessing the unlock screen. Some security software will interfere with this, so it is optional rather than something we enable by default.

Preference >> Logins >> Show X More items ... - I am guessing that displaying this would be instead of showing the full list of items. Could you explain this feature a bit more.

This means you have more items that match the current URL than would normally display in the extension. You can click this to show the rest. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I just upgraded to 1Password 4 yesterday. How could I have disabled all these warning. I don't even know how to disable a warning. I don't recall these in the 1Password 3 preferences.

2. You aren't getting this. They have been saved for years. Now they won't fill. Logins saved on https page won't restore on http page. In the list they have a warning triangle. I could go manually fix them but it is a pain.

3. If you have 10 google.com logins and you press Ctrl-\ it pops up a window letting you choose which one to fill. I am referring to WHERE this window pops up.

4. This all worked fine in version 3. Now I am constantly having to unlock it.

5. OK. Thanks for the explanation.

6. OK. Thanks for the explanation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just upgraded to 1Password 4 yesterday. How could I have disabled all these warning. I don't even know how to disable a warning. I don't recall these in the 1Password 3 preferences.

@Carl: You didn't. As I said in my previous post,

The warnings are not options unless you have seen them and disabled them.

There is no need to re-enable a warning if you have A never seen it in the first place and B not disabled that particular warning. Those checkboxes are only there so that if you disable a warning and then later want to re-enable it, you can. Until you are given the option to disable it, it is irrelevant (i.e. "Never ask again", etc.)

You aren't getting this. They have been saved for years. Now they won't fill. Logins saved on https page won't restore on http page. In the list they have a warning triangle. I could go manually fix them but it is a pain.

I get it. 1Password will not fill a secure login on an insecure page. That is by design. If you are having trouble with a particular site, the best thing to do is to report it using our Synapse website issue tracker, and if you can tell me the URL you're using I'll be happy to test it myself. But without any basic information, the only thing I can do is talk about it in general terms. And often simply manually saving the login will save additional information that will allow 1Password to work.

If you have 10 google.com logins and you press Ctrl-\ it pops up a window letting you choose which one to fill. I am referring to WHERE this window pops up.

This is what I see:

So if you're seeing something different, a screenshot or more details might help me understand what you're referring to exactly.

This all worked fine in version 3. Now I am constantly having to unlock it.

Then it sounds like you need to follow my suggestion above to have 1Password running (which will allow it to lock and unlock as you expect), and also perhaps modify some of your security preferences within the app. Again without knowing exactly the steps you're taking and what you expect to happen, I can only talk about this in general terms.

I'm glad my other explanations were helpful at least. Let me know what you find and I'm sure we can sort out the rest as well! :)

• Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1. I found this page: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/warnings-tab which is what you should have gave a link to. ;) Not sure that showing a list of items you cannot change is a good UI practice.

2. NO. You are NOT getting it. LOL These logins all worked fine before upgrading from 1Pv3 to 1Pv4. Let me explain this further to you.

First, these are intranet sites at the same domain. If navigate to one and then press Control + \ then it pops up a window asking if I want to be taken to the https URL stored in 1Password. (I do not) If I instead click the 1Password icon in the browser, all of the logins that match this domain now have a yellow warning triangle to the left of their name. I see no way to override this warning. I fixed one of these by adding the http the URL in the 1Password app but I didn't want to do that for all of these. However, it looks like that is what I am going to do.

Again, they all worked fine in the previous version. Did the behavior change in a way that is now not configurable?

1. What you are seeing (and the resulting screenshot) is what you see when you click the browser icon. This is NOT the same as pressing the hotkey. Press the hot key and you will just see those Google logins you whited out in your screenshot. The question becomes where it will appear:

a. Next to the login field (old behavior)
    b. Next to the 1P icon in the notifications tray (new behavior unless you disable 1P icon in notification tray)

Test it and you will see.

1. I don't want to have the 1Password app running all the time. I don't mind a 1Password Helper running like on the Mac. I have Agile1pAgent.exe already running. Enabling it in the notification tray starts the 1Password.exe process. On the Mac only the Agent needs to be running to maintain the lock status across app and browsers. The agent doesn't seem to be working correctly on the new Windows version. Basically the 1Password.exe app has to be running or the Lock when 1Password window closes is forced on you. If you have to run the 1Password.exe app then WTF do I need the agent for for?

I still maintain this is broke. (at least on my system)

Finally, you may want to check your tone a bit. I'm not a 1Password noob. I would guess that I've been using it a lot longer than you. As I explained, I don't want to leave the main app running all the time. I am well aware of how to manually save logins, etc.

Item #1 is more informational. #2 is a pain but I can fix it. But, #3 and #4 are irritating the living daylights out of me and I need to get this working like before. :)

• MikeT
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @Carl,

1. I found this page: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/warnings-tab which is what you should have gave a link to. ;) Not sure that showing a list of items you cannot change is a good UI practice.

I think we shouldn't show them at all, we'll look at redesigning this in the future or get rid of them completely. I think moving them to a submenu in the Help Menu should be enough and it should only show actionable items.

These logins all worked fine before upgrading from 1Pv3 to 1Pv4. Let me explain this further to you....Again, they all worked fine in the previous version. Did the behavior change in a way that is now not configurable?

Yes, this is a recent change we made based on an algorithm; which says that if the saved URL is secure but the user is about to fill on an insecure page, add the warning triangle and block the filling by default. We've seen cases where users were filling their Logins on insecure pages causing their data to be exposed, so we've started to get aggressive on this.

PS: We've jumped from 1Password 1.x to 1Password 4 on Windows, there were no 1Password 2 or 3 versions for Windows, and the Windows app does not equal to 1Password for Mac, they may have identical UIs but they have different experiences.

When I have multiple logins for a single site AND I am displaying 1Password in the tray the list to select the login pops up in the tray rather than where the login input fields are. (not good)

This is a bug, it should behave the same way. Does it happen on all sites you have multiple Logins for or just a few? What happens if you try to use this shortcut: Control + Alt + \? Does it show you the multiple Logins next to your mouse cursor, something the regular shortcut didn't do?

If there was an issue with retrieving the address of the site, the menu will show up on the tray, not next to your cursor because it believes it didn't get the command to open from an active browser window but from outside of the browser. This is why I believe there is a bug we need to reproduce here. If you can confirm the proper behavior with the Control + Alt + \ shortcut and testing a few different sites of which you have multiple Logins with, we can narrow our testing to focus on that.

In addition, if you can provide a few sites where this happens more consistently for you, I can try to reproduce it and see if we can fix it.

On the Mac only the Agent needs to be running to maintain the lock status across app and browsers. The agent doesn't seem to be working correctly on the new Windows version. Basically the 1Password.exe app has to be running or the Lock when 1Password window closes is forced on you. If you have to run the 1Password.exe app then WTF do I need the agent for for? Basically the 1Password.exe app has to be running or the Lock when 1Password window closes is forced on you.

1Password Helper on Windows and 1Password Mini on OS X are two entirely different functions with two separate purposes, they will not work the same way but it is on our list for the future to sync this up. The issue is because we have a few settings in 1Password that changes the behavior of other settings (which changes how it works with 1Password Helper as a separate program), thus this can cause unexpected behavior changes. This is something we will change in the future.

Right now, if we can fix the issue with #3, that should give you the same behavior with showing your multiple Logins next to our mouse cursor. Once it is fixed, it should then let you keep 1Password Helper running with less frequent locking because of a logic issue with no Helper equals to closing 1Password will lock the extension as well.

• Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    Options

Mike,

Thanks for the info. A samurai was what I needed apparently. :)

I agree that having a list of things that you cannot change doesn't really belong in Preferences. :)

I upgraded from 1.0.9.340 which I incorrectly refer to as 1Password 3 for Windows. :)

I did the testing with the Control-Alt-\ vs. Control-. I hadn't paid much attention to it before but the window position (without the 1P icon in the notification tray) is relative to the mouse cursor. Top left corner unless it doesn't fit om the bottom of the screen and then it becomes bottom left corner. The only difference I see between adding the Alt modifier and not is that the entire 1Password contextual menu is displayed when using the Alt version (same window as clicking the icon in the browser). With the Alt it just shows the logins. However, they are both dependent on the mouse cursor position.

These are all internal sites so I cannot share any of them.

Another note: I use an app called WizMouse to give focus to window when you move the mouse to it (like the Mac) but I have tested with it disabled/enabled and it does not make a difference in the 1Password behavior.

I will wait until you get the bug quashed and will run without 1P in the notification tray for now.

Thanks for the follow up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

@Carl: Thanks for your patience! On behalf of MikeT, you are most welcome! I'm glad that helped. And again, I do apologize for misunderstanding earlier. We're here for you should any other questions or issues arise! :)

This discussion has been closed.