autofill doesn't work reliably in firefox

I've been using 1Password for many years and am puzzled at the inconsistencies from version to version. The autofill many versions ago used to work fine, now it only works the first couple times I go to a website, then it stops working. If I restart the browser (firefox) it works again, once or twice, then it stops working. And the plugin doesn't seem to recognize which site it's at, though there is a login saved for the site (see example screenshot).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ildm
    ildm
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

Another example: First time I use autofill on this forum, it works. I log in. Then I log out. I try to log in again using autofill and nothing happens. I click on the login tab and nothing happens. It just sits stuck on the page it took me after logging out . See screenshot.

• ildm
    ildm
    Community Member

Continuing with the example of your own agile bit webpage: After a bit of back and forth it stops working and even if I take it directly to the sign-in page it doesn't even recognize which page I'm at.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ildm,

Can you tell us a little more about your machine please, it could help if we know the following.

1. Version of OS X.
    2. Which version of 1Password you are running.
    3. Which version of Firefox you're running.
    4. Which version of the 1Password extension is installed.

It might be that doesn't tell us as much as we hoped for but it will give us a good start. In your first image I wondered if 1Password mini was running as I couldn't see the menu bar icon but that doesn't apply when comparing the second and third images. There's also something about the fact that restarting Firefox that makes this seem familiar but my crappy brain isn't offering up anything more than a feeling at the moment. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this though as this isn't happening to everybody suggesting with the right solution we can get better behaviour occurring for you too.

• ildm
    ildm
    Community Member

1Password Version 5.3.2 (532001)
    1PW Extension 4.4.2
    OSX 10.10.4
    Firefox 39.0.3

I deal with this issue everyday. MacBookPro 2Ghz, 8MB

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ildm,

I'm not sure why you're experiencing this so can you do something for us please.

I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

What I'd like you to do is download the diagnostic report generating tool, which you can find at that link and then I would like you to reproduce the issue for us please before you generate the report. After you've reproduced the issue can you create the report and then send it to us please. Maybe there will be something in the logs that will indicate why you're experiencing this.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• ildm
    ildm
    Community Member

If I keep 1 password mini running there are no problems. If I I quit 1 password mini then the issues start happening. Did you design it on purpose to be that way? 1 password used to work without 1password mini.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @ildm,

It sounds like you've found the source of the trouble although I'm surprised because one of the images seemed to indicate you had 1Password mini running while the error is present. In 1Password 3 there was the 1PasswordHelper process which ran in the background and was the bridge between 1Password 3 and the extension. In 1Password 4/5 the helper app is called 1Password mini and because of significant differences in the extensions it is required for the extension to work at all. If 1Password mini isn't running the extension won't work. So we do recommend 1Password mini is kept running and it's why there is the confirmation message asking if you're sure you want 1Password mini not to run when you first disable it.

If you still experience issues after keeping 1Password mini running please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.