can not generate a valid password

Options

often websites have more complicated password requirements then supported by onepassword. Is there a way to add more general/powerful rule. I.E. include upper and lower case letters + a least 1 number + at least 1 symbol

Kind regards

Andy

p.s. I use chrome, how/when will my extension be updated?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.2.90
OS Version: OSX
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:generate valid passwords

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @aed,

As far as the browsers go, all three automatically look for updates to any extensions you've added so they should all be keeping themselves and their extensions updated, is there a reason why you ask?

As for the rules governing password generation, all the options currently available are in the Password Recipe section which you can read more about here, in our article Generate a strong password. Controls are limited to specifying a particular number of symbols or digits to be included in the password.

I suspect you might either already have known this or it's maybe not you're after as more controls is a popular request. The concern is too many controls may cause some to create passwords that aren't as strong as they should be. Personally I wish all sites would simply allow for truly random passwords using the entire set of characters - I'm not a big fan of some of these requirements.

If the Password Recipes bit helps that's great, otherwise I'll add your voice to the request for more control over passwords.

• aed
    aed
    Community Member
    Options

I am happy to hear extensions automatically check for update. I want to make sure I get security bug fixes whenever they are available.

The problem with the password recipes is they are not strong enough for many sites. Many sites now require a password like

fooB!ar23

upper and lower case letters

• at least symbol
    • at least 1 digit

The password generator does not allow you to select more then 1 option. I wonder why this should be easy to implement?

kind regards

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @aed,

I'm curious, what do you mean when you say

does not allow you to select more then 1 option

You can set the recipe for x digits plus y symbols and 1Password will select from both lower and upper case characters for the rest (although there isn't a way to say there must be both cases present). I suspect it's my lack of understanding that is to blame here and that once I'm following we should be fine :smile:

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

@aed,

Could this just be a matter of clicking the option to show the password recipe? Like this:

Which then shows this

• aed
    aed
    Community Member
    Options

Strange, show recipe works differently for me.

• aed
    aed
    Community Member
    Options

Oh I think I figured it out. when I un-select 'pronounceable' I can now control the number of symbols or numbers.

It would be nice to be able to control 'runs'. ie if I had to make it easy to write down on paper or manually type. By a run I mean I want a strong 12 character password. I want a '-' inserted after every 3 character. Humans have trouble remembering sequence greater than length 4. They '-' helps people that are sight impaired

Here is an example

123-$dE-5ab-re^b-

Kind regards

Andy

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

@awd - You have the Pronounceable option checked. I don't. That's the difference - when I check that option, I also see what you do. But as I think about this, sites that require upper and lower case letters and at least one number and one symbol aren't allowing users to have pronounceable passwords anyway, are they?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aed,

Well I'm glad we managed to solve part of the puzzle at least.

I don't know if it helps at all but the field containing the generated password is editable. I realise it isn't ideal at all but you could manually add hyphens every x characters before you click the fill button. 1Password will use the edited password both for filling and for storing in the Password item it creates so there isn't any risk of the edited password not being saved. Obviously we understand this being automated would be your preference, I just can't make any promises there I'm afraid :(

This discussion has been closed.