Re-encryption

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Lounge

If simply changing master passwords doesn't re-encrypt the AgileKeychain, what else will?

I could create a new AgileKeychain but is there another way? Also, there have been advances in the encryption techniques, putting it loosely, plus opvault which is incompatible with earlier versions of OPW.

I suppose an analogy would be WEP (which nobody ought be be using anymore) and WPA2 which is much stronger?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

The way to force new encryption of a vault with a new password is to export all data to a 1pif file. Be careful with this file; is is not encrypted. Be sure to delete it securely when you are finished with it.

Then follow the directions on How do I start over with an empty vault? Be sure to follow those directions fully.

Once you have created the new, empty vault, it will have new encryption keys. Import the 1pif file into that new vault, and you'll be done. Again, be sure to remember to securely delete the 1pif.

I can't comment on your questions about advances in security as they apply to 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Thanks hawkmoth! :chuffed:

To be clear, the cypher won't change (AES is still solid), but creating a new vault will give you new encryption keys (which in turn are used to encrypt the contents of your vault). However, 1Password will recalibrate PBKDF2 any time you change your Master Password. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.