Not prompted to save new Logins from browser

Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1 Password beta stopped recognizing my password Help!.

Comments

• MeiLie
    MeiLie
    Community Member

I think now that you mentioned that and I did remember as one of the things that I tried was getting rid of some of the history and cookies. Yes, I have started resetting up some of the passwords. when I use them on the web sites the computer acts like I do not have 1Password since it does not any longer ask if I want to open 1Password and try to save them is that also because I got rid of the history. Aren't the cookies just on the browser? Would it be reasonable to uninstall 1Password and then reinstall it, especially if I revert to the non-beta? If I do that would it be reasonable to just try the old password? Do you think that that might jog something in the process or would it just have me reset up 1Password? Do I need to uninstall 1Password before switching. and can I just download the latest from the website?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

Hi @MeiLie,

I hope you don't mind, but since this is a different issue than the one from your original thread (i.e. your master password stopped working), I've split your new message about saving Logins into a new discussion. It just helps us to avoid confusion and keep things a bit more organized. :)

You're correct, your browsing history and web cookies shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not 1Password asks you to save new Login items. So something else must be wrong. I don't think you need to uninstall/reinstall the 1Password app though - let's check some other things first.

After the troubleshooting you went through in the previous discussion, I wonder if you still have the 1Password extension installed - do you see the 1Password extension icon in the toolbar of your browser? If not, it sounds like you need to reinstall the extension. Just open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Install Browser Extensions. Or, you can open your browser and go to this link: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

On that page, click the big green Install button and follow the rest of the on-screen steps to complete the installation.

On the other hand, if the extension was already installed (or if you reinstalled it but still aren't prompted to save new Login items), please let us know the following:

I think this will most likely turn out to be a simple problem to solve, and hopefully your answers will help us figure that out quickly. Thanks in advance! :)

• MeiLie
    MeiLie
    Community Member

It does not prompt. I just had uninstalled the Browser Extension, went to website and pressed the green install button got 4.4.2 installed, the icon is on the menubar, I am using Safari Version 8.0.8 (10600.8.9) Password Version 5.4 Beta 35

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @MeiLie!

It sounds like you have the right things installed, so I'm not exactly sure why it isn't prompting you to save new Login items. But there could still be a simple solution for that, and what I'd like you to do is try the troubleshooting suggestions in this knowledgebase article: 1Password did not automatically offer to save my Login on a website

Do any of those suggestions help? Please let us know how it goes. If the autosave prompt still won't appear, it will help if you can let us know the results of each suggestion in that article (there are only a few). Thanks, we appreciate it!

• MeiLie
    MeiLie
    Community Member

It does not even give me the option to try open 1Password to save the new password. I only tried with the ones that I changed. I get prompted by the browser Safari keychain but not 1Password. I also tried Firefox 40.0.2 it also does not prompt and Chrome Version 44.0.2403.157 (64-bit) which also did not prompt

• MeiLie
    MeiLie
    Community Member

Could it be because it does not think that that exists? Since it does not recognize my master password? it is odd that all is there and unto date but nothing...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MeiLie,

It does not even give me the option to try open 1Password to save the new password. I only tried with the ones that I changed.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, can you please elaborate? Do you mean you still aren't prompted to save a new Login item in 1Password when you sign into a website? Or are you referring to one of the suggestions from this knowledgebase article? Please describe the steps you're trying to follow in order to save the new password or Login item, and what happens when you try to do that.

I also tried Firefox 40.0.2 it also does not prompt and Chrome Version 44.0.2403.157 (64-bit) which also did not prompt

Have you installed the 1Password extension in Firefox and Chrome?

Could it be because it does not think that that exists? Since it does not recognize my master password? it is odd that all is there and unto date but nothing...

I'm afraid I'm having trouble understanding these questions. What doesn't think that something exists? And what doesn't recognize your master password? In your previous discussion, I thought you said you had followed our "starting over" steps on your Mac in order to reset 1Password and start over with an empty vault. If I misunderstood, I apologize! Can you please confirm whether or not you were able to start over with an empty vault in 1Password, and if you're currently able to open the 1Password app and unlock it with your new master password?

Thanks so much for your patience while we try to help solve the problem! :)

• MeiLie
    MeiLie
    Community Member

Sorry to have been so unclear. I forgot that a this got to be another discussion. I have not yet started over. Everything is the same, I had just remembered that after getting new passwords for some sites, when I logged in, I was not asked by 1Password if I wanted to unlock my 1Password(even though I can't) to save them. These were sites that had been saved in my original vault. The only new thing that I had done was uninstall the extension in Safari and reinstall it. I did check to make sure that it was there on Firefox and Chrome before testing new passwords on those Browsers. So as I said it seems that the Browsers do not feel that I have 1password since it only asks if I want to save my passwords in the Browser keychains. I have not yet started over since I had asked if I should uninstall the beta if I was going to use the regular version and I did not notice that there was an answer. I can certainly follow the starting over. I did notice that I had a 1Password4 and a 1Password folder and also a com.agilebits.onepassword4-updater. I took out all ones listed and these 2 that were not listed. I will now try to reinstall

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MeiLie,

I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding! I thought you had already started over with an empty vault and were trying to re-add your Logins to it. Before troubleshooting browser extension issues, you'll need to get the main 1Password app up and running again, so please make sure you follow the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

I had asked if I should uninstall the beta if I was going to use the regular version and I did not notice that there was an answer.

If you would like to switch back to the regular/stable version, then yes, you will also want to delete the beta app from your Mac. Follow the rest of the "starting over" steps first, then you can simply drag the beta app to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning utilities). Then you can download the regular version from our download site and move that copy of the app to the Applications folder.

After all that, when you open the app, it will be like the first time, so you'll be able to create a new empty vault with a new master password. The following article has some good tips which may help: How do I choose a good Master Password?

If the main app is working correctly and you already have the browser extension installed, it should work. Try logging into a site, and hopefully you'll be asked to save a new Login. If not, please try a few different sites just to make sure it's not just a problem with one specific site. Let us know how it goes! :)

• MeiLie
    MeiLie
    Community Member

Thanks (kind of) for your help but I did read all that you have on the site and nothing that was said there or that you said or reiterated was useful or helpful. I finally gave up and reinstalled and have started over trying to recreate the vault. This time I will try to print when I finish so that all the notes that I had stored there will not again be lost. It is not so bad for the passwords, I can just request a reset, but other stuff i not so easy unless there is a way that I can also see what I put in. Generally, I had been very pleased with this program until it decided to not recognize my master password

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MeiLie,

It sounds like you were able to follow our steps to start over with an empty vault. I'm sorry this has been so much trouble for you! We really don't like for this sort of thing to happen. I believe you already tried the tips in this knowledgebase article, and if those didn't help, I'm really at a loss to explain why it stopped accepting your master password. I wish I had a better answer for you about all that!

I sincerely hope it all works perfectly for you from now on. As always, if you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know!

This discussion has been closed.