Inconsistent TOTP (one-time passwords) between devices.

scheeko
scheeko
Community Member

Hello!
On my Mac and iPhone, 1password is generating the correct TOTP, however, on my iPad, it's a different value (which is incorrect, as I can't login to the services). It's happening with all TOTPs I have.

I've checked and all devices have the same regional settings and time zones. On iOS, it's 1P 5.5, Mac 5.32.

Any clue on what's happening?

1Password Version: 5.32
Extension Version: 4.4.3b2
OS Version: Mavericks
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:one-time

Comments

• Hi @scheeko,

Sorry to hear about the trouble with one time passwords. Can you please check and make sure the date/time & timezone settings are all set the same on all of your devices?

If the time is off, even if only by a minute or two, it can cause issues with TOTP.

Thanks!

Ben

• scheeko
    scheeko
    Community Member

You are correct: the iPad is approximately one minute behind the iPhone & Mac, and manually forcing it to match the other devices yields the same result.

The weird thing is that they were supposed to all be synced automatically to Apple's time servers. Worse, even the manual solution doesn't solve it entirely, since it's about 1m07s off. Forcing it manually corrects only the minute offset, and so there's still 7s difference. Because the TOTP period is 30s, the device out of sync for those 7s each period...

The major difference I can think of, is that I have iOS 9 Public Beta on my iPad.

• Thanks for the update @scheeko. Due to the nature of TOTP having accurate time on all of the involved devices is critical. Unfortunately I'm not sure this is something we're going to be able to address directly. I do have an iOS 9 beta device so I'll test there and see if TOTP has issues for me as well.

Sorry I don't have a better answer off hand, but I'll do some digging for you. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.