Will 1password 3 for mac keep working if I upgrade windows version?

Options

Sounds like an odd question, huh? So: I have an old macbook which is rarely used, running 1password 3.xx. I'm quite happy to keep it that way, ol' macbook's too slow for new fancy software...
I use 1password for Windows every day on my work laptop and would like to update that to latest version. Question: Will my macbook keep syncing the passwords if I only update 1password for windows (or has the encryption changed so they don't understand each other)?

Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find any reference.

1Password Version: 1.0.9.342
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7 x64
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:upgrade-license

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pontus,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our "1Password 3 for Mac" forum since that's the version you're using on your old MacBook. And don't worry, it's not an odd question at all! :)

I'm assuming you're using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data, and that shouldn't be a problem at all - 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Windows will have no problem syncing via Dropbox, it should continue to work the same way it does now. Your 1Password data in Dropbox is stored in a .agilekeychain file/folder, and is copied to your local Dropbox folder on Mac and Windows, so as long as both apps still know where to find it, they'll sync changes to/from Dropbox as usual.

If you have more questions about that or anything else, just let us know! :)

• Pontus
    Pontus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that answers it. Yes I'm using dropbox to sync so the assumption was correct. Posted in windows because that's the version I¨m upgrading.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Pontus,

Backwards compatibility with the Agile Keychain is important to us despite the instances where the publicly documented format has restricted certain design decisions. Rather than create different versions of the format though we simply started work on a newer format which we titled OPVault. At this stage I would say you're safe that we won't eve tinker with the Agile Keychain format although there are certain features that simply don't translate. For example, 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 5 for Mac both have support for TOTP codes. The secret is stored in a custom field and we generate the code for you. As 1Password 3 isn't aware of TOTP codes at all it would simply show you the secret. The data is still correctly stored in the Agile Keychain though and will sync, it's just not in a useful form.

I just say this to highlight one aspect to be aware of, as I say, they both remain fully aware of how to read and write to the Agile Keychain and this won't change.

I hope that helps but if you ever have any other questions please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.