1Password 3 extension is missing in Firefox 40

2»

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hey folks,

We've put together a comprehensive support article for this issue. Please see:

1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later

And let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We are here to help. :)

• lhunsicker
    lhunsicker
    Community Member

I am now totally confused about Agilebits's available solutions for the problem relating to Firefox 40's dropping of the widget module. I am running 1Password 4. I tried installing the 1Password 4 extension. That is, I found where the download for the extension was located and went through all the steps (including telling Firefox 4.0 that it was OK to proceed). But after I got the window telling me about all the wonderful things that the extension would allow me to do, nothing happened. I quit Firefox and restarted. The key icon still doesn't appear.

The Agilebits discussion suggests that if one has upgraded to 1Password 4, then the extension for 1Password 4 should still work in Firefox 40.0. Is this correct or nor? Or is the 1Password 4 extension still broken in Firefox 40.0 due to Firefox's having dropped the widgets module? If the latter, the help documents should clearly state this upfront and make clear our options. It is very frustrating to find that a program on which one has learned to depend has been broken, to think that there is a reasonable fix, and then to find that the fix still doesn't work.

For what it's worth, I would have thought that there were enough folks using 1Password on Firefox for Agilebits to prioritize a working fix, given the previous warnings of Firefox that it was going to drop the widgets module.

In the meantime, I'll use IE or Chrome when I need to access my sensitive accounts. But I'll also look for another way to store my passwords securely using some program other than 1Password. Not well done, Agilebits.

Larry Hunsicker

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

@cyborgsam and @firefoxjim:

@firefoxjim: according to Mactracker all Mac minis from 2009 on will update to the latest OS X (Yosemite).

Yep! From system requirements in How to install OS X Yosemite on your Mac - Apple Support:

• Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

Any systems that currently support Yosemite will also be able to run El Capitan (10.11), unless Apple adjusts the requirements before the final release. I've got an Early 2009 mini running Yosemite and a Mid 2007 MacBook Pro running El Capitan beta. :)

• arash1
    arash1
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

Using Mac 10.7.5 & Firefox 40 says extension for 1 password isn't signed. Extension not on toolbar.

This just occurred today. Working fine yesterday. Please advise. Thanks!

1Password Version: 3.8.22
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Os X 10.7.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

Hi @arash1,

I hope you don't mind, I have moved your post to the 1Password 3 for Mac legacy forum and merged it into an ongoing thread about the issue with 1Password 3 for Mac and Firefox 40. The article that khad posted above should equip you with options to address this issue.

The "extension not signed" message in Firefox 40 is related to a separate issue. You can read more about that here:

Firefox Extension Signing

I hope this helps! Feel free to let us know how you proceed and if you have any further questions or problems. We're here for you! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi Larry ( @lhunsicker ),

I do apologize for any confusion caused by the 1Password extension not working for you with Firefox.

To best help you get this sorted out, can you confirm which platform(s) you're running 1Password 4 on if it's still giving you trouble with Firefox 40? You've posted under the 1Password 3 for Mac category, yet have mentioned:

I am running 1Password 4.

Then later:

In the meantime, I'll use IE or Chrome when I need to access my sensitive accounts.

Nowadays IE only runs on Windows, of course. :)

The Agilebits discussion suggests that if one has upgraded to 1Password 4, then the extension for 1Password 4 should still work in Firefox 40.0. Is this correct or nor?

That is correct, although currently with the extension signing issue covered here:

Firefox Extension Signing

Or is the 1Password 4 extension still broken in Firefox 40.0 due to Firefox's having dropped the widgets module? If the latter, the help documents should clearly state this upfront and make clear our options.

The issue with the widget module being removed from Firefox 40 only impacts version 3 of the 1Password extension, as this article explains:

1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later

When running version 4 of 1Password and version 4 of its extension with Firefox 40, on Mac or Windows, only the aforementioned extension signing is an issue. With that combination, if you're still not seeing the 1Password button in Firefox the steps here might help to get it visible and working:

The 1Password button is missing from my browser

Another thing to check is if the correct version of the extension is installed and enabled for Firefox:

How to find which version of the 1Password extension is installed

Version 4.4.2 is the current stable (non-beta) version, compatible with both 1Password app versions 4 and 5 for Mac and version 4 for Windows.

Please let us know if the 1Password extension continues to fail for you and we'll continue troubleshooting until it's working properly. Thanks!

• Whitebuck
    Whitebuck
    Community Member

AgileBits is equally responsible, for they knew this change in Firefox 40.0 was coming.
    Agilebits should update this broken 1Password Extension.
    This is inexcusable, "UPDATE THE EXTENSION" get it to Mozilla along wit 5's Extension for signing.

AlgieBits behavior of explaining away their neglect of paying customers, or blaming it away, is nonsense.
    THEY NEED TO FIX IT! I paid for a working product! NOT EXCUSES and THE BLAME GAME!
    They had plenty of time to address and fix this issue, before the release of Firefox 40.0.

Don't tell me what Mozilla changed or about a widget, just fix it.
    1Password 5's extension still works and so should 1Password 3's extension.

Don't use the change in Firefox as an excuse to gouge me and coerce me into updating to 1Password 5, when I am perfectly content with the function and feature set in 1Password 3.

For the record, I also purchased, own 1Password for Android.

So, please just fix the extension, for myself and the many other 1Password 3 customers.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

@Whitebuck,

You did indeed pay for a working product and the product has continued to work for over two years since any real development last occurred. While version 3.8.22 was released in 2014-05-21 the changes were merely to improve awareness of the new version. Even version 3.8.21 released over a year before that only held one real improvement. 1Password 3 still works on Yosemite but there are cracks. Dropbox altered something and we do not detect that it is running and the import feature relied on a framework that is no longer packaged in OS X.

It is a similar story with the extension. Version 3.9.20 of the extension was released on 2013-12-04 where we added compatibility for Firefox 26. The extension relied on several libraries and some of those relate to Firefox. The widgets module, used for UI interactions was deprecated in Firefox 29 but continued to exist until Firefox 40 when it was removed.

A computer is a digital ecosystem. 1Password relies on OS X and it's many libraries. The extension equally relies on the browsers and their libraries. Backwards compatibility places a strain on future development and hinders progress. The removal of deprecated functions or libraries is standard practice and without it could lead to a number of potential issues or security flaws. As long as all software is updated this is not an issue. The problem occurs if you update all of the dependencies of one piece of software without updating that software itself.

1Password 3 is no longer in active development and support in newer versions of OS X or browsers is not guaranteed.

Thankfully there are still options for 1Password 3 users as in covered in 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later

• For those not wishing to surrender Firefox there is Firefox ESR 38. Mozilla will only patch Firefox ESR 38 with essential security updates and it will remain supported until May 2016. This is a bandaid only but Firefox ESR 38 can be found here.
    • Safari & Chrome still work. For some users Safari will remain compatible as Apple are no longer supporting older versions of OS X. OS X Lion is no longer receiving updates as of last year and if they follow their normal trend Mountain Lion will no longer receive updates when El Capitan is released. Users who cannot update Safari are not at risk. Chrome may or may not make a change in the future that causes the 1Password 3 Chrome Extension to break. The response shall be the same: 1Password 3 is no longer in active development.
    • For those running a version of OS X that is Mountain Lion or newer than can update to a newer version of 1Password if they so wish. You are not forced to but if you have remained current with updates to OS X and Firefox and do not wish to switch from Firefox then this is an option.

Nobody is forced to purchase a new version of 1Password. We would hope people would see value, maybe want to because they love the software but you should not feel forced. Software not under active development though does not come with any guarantees of future compatibility with software. With the exception of the specific workarounds detailed above, everything here is true for all software.

AgileBits is not about the money; I've seen the passion in the eyes of our developers and founders, I've witnessed it first hand. The reality though is running a company and ensuring the company remains afloat means business decisions have to be made. Maintaining several versions of a piece of software though costs a significant amount of resources and often it is not a linear increase. We may very well disagree here. As a customer of AgileBits myself I do not feel the stance here is mean. I love 1Password and I rely on it completely. When I moved from Snow Leopard to Mavericks one of my first purchases was 1Password 4, the only delay being how long it took to process the purchase. I did the same for other software I deemed necessary like Little Snitch and MailServe.

To summerise. The 1Password 3 extension is no longer in development and there will not be a new version. For those still running OS X Lion or earlier there are options detailed above regarding the browser. For those running Mountain Lion or newer those browser options are still available as well as the possibility of updating 1Password. Anybody having purchased 1Password since the start of 2013 already has a licence for 1Password 5 and anybody before that can use their existing licence to obtain the upgrade price. That is only an option though, it is not required.

• Chris Peden
    Chris Peden
    Community Member

How about making the 1password 5 extension work with v3+ of the main 1password app. I don't like being told change browsers if you want to use our software. My mac cannot be upgraded past 10.7 so I am stuck for the time being. LastPass is looking very attractive right now. Perhaps you don't mind losing customers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Chris Peden: Sorry for the confusion! In fact, the reason you are having this trouble is because of changing your browser. After all, when 1Password 3 was in active development, Firefox 4 was a thing. Thus, 1Password 3 has no way of knowing anything about Firefox 40 — or any other browsers from the future.

Now, I don't want to knock Mozilla, because I think it's frankly amazing that they've maintained compatibility with so many extensions, websites, and other obsolete technologies for as long as they have. But at some point it's important to let go of the past in order to move forward in a reasonable fashion. For instance, Firefox dropped PowerPC support long ago as well, because eventually it becomes harmful to the platform (and in the case of a major web browser, the Internet as a whole) to keep trying to pull a small number of users at such a great expense (resource-wise).

However, I'm with you to the extent that I loathe change. It gives me a rash. But it isn't fair or reasonable for me either to try to have it both ways: no change — same setup on my computer, without having to go through the pain of a hardware or software upgrade or the requisite migration of data and updates to countless apps I depend on — but also take advantage of advances on the Internet (web apps, cloud services, etc.) and technology as a whole.

In the end, we absolutely do mind losing customers, but if it comes down to buying you a new Mac and dragging you kicking and screaming into Yosemite, 1Password 5, and the current decade, well...at that point we're paying you to use our software, and that's not a sustainable way to run a business. We have an obligation to all of our customers to keep improving and supporting 1Password in the present on current platforms; and, yes this comes at the expense of continuing to put development resources into supporting old software on a platform that has since been obsoleted by even the platform owners — in this case Apple and Mozilla. These are important decisions, and I wouldn't fault either for drawing that line.

In the end, you have three options:

1. You can continue to use 1Password 3 with the same hardware and software you have been, including supported browser releases it was designed for.
    2. You can use 1Password with an alternative browser/version (Safari, Chrome, even Firefox ESR 38!) that 1Password 3 was not designed for, but which at least continue to work nonetheless.
    3. You can move to an updated environment in which pretty much anything you want to use will be up-to-date and support the newest technologies.

But what you are trying to do is pick and choose to move forward with only specific technologies, yet expecting that others from the past will somehow accommodate you living in the future. Unfortunately that is not going to work for you (or me, for that matter) long-term. And again, Chrome is still a viable (and free) option, being actively supported and developed on your OS...at least for the time being.

But it's important to recognize that you haven't actually lost anything. 1Password 3 still works with all OSes and browsers it was designed for (and then some: Lion and Chrome did not exist when 1Password 3 was created!) But the reason that new technologies are brought into being is to supersede the limitations of those that came before. The future is waiting. :chuffed:

• linvie
    linvie
    Community Member

I'm on an older MBP running OS X 10.7.5. FF upgraded to 40.0 and now it's saying 1Password cannot be verified for use with FF 40.0. Help ??

1Password Version: 3.8.22
    Extension Version: 3.9.21.b1 (I think)
    OS Version: 10.7.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @linvie,

I've moved and merged your query with an existing thread we have on this matter. The issue isn't that the extension can't be verified, which is referring to code signing but that one of the extensions dependencies, the widget module. This link, 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later will cover what has transpired and the available workarounds to this. There isn't a solution for Firefox 40 I'm afraid, it has now changed sufficiently since development on 1Password 3 finished that it can no longer function on the newest version of Mozilla's browser. Sorry about that.

• Chris1234
    Chris1234
    Community Member

I've been using 1Password for ever, and now brand new Firefox 40.0.2 says 1Password could not be verified for use in Firefox and has stopped me using it. It's no longer in my Toolbar.

1Password has not been updated for ages, It's still at 3.9.20 last updated 2013/12/05 although it's set to update automatically and used to tell me when an update was available. I'm still using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 since I have an application using Rosetta and am very reluctant to lose 20 years worth of history...

Urgent. How do I get 1P working again in Firefox? Checking for updates in 1P says I'm running the latest version...

thanks for your help in this very important matter...
    Cris

1Password Version: 3.9.20
    Extension Version: 3.9.20
    OS Version: OSX 10.6.8
    Sync Type: none

• sagekim
    sagekim
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

I have Mac OS 10.7.5, firefox just upgraded to v. 40.0, and I have the same problem as Cris. I have version 3.9.6 of 1Password. Since I don't have Yosemite, I can't run the latest version 5. How can I get 1P extension working in Firefox again?

• jfkphx
    jfkphx
    Community Member

I have the same problem and using 1Password 3.8.22 on the latest version of Snow Leopard. It won't work on Chrome either. Safari is the only one where it will work, but I have a feeling that will change any day and no longer work. I hope not.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Chris1234, @sagekim & @jfkphx,

I've moved and merged this thread with an ongoing one on this topic. Please note the fact that the old 1Password 3 Firefox Extension isn't signed is a red herring but sadly the real reason is worse. This thread contains a lot of information but the best place to start is with our article, 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later.

You will also find a detailed response to a very passionate user above in this post.

There are still options as are detailed in our article but as of Firefox 40, the stable version of Firefox will not be one of those options I'm afraid.

If you have any questions do please ask.

• Ganzo
    Ganzo
    Community Member

I am having the same issue on my mac running 10.6.8. I have firefox 40.0.2 and I get the same message. Even though it says 1PW is enabled there is nothing in the toolbar to use it. Is there a way to get it to work on this Firefox? I am running 1PW 3 very happily and it worked fine until I updated firefox the other day.

• Chris Peden
    Chris Peden
    Community Member

@brently: Your answer is complete spin. Are you sure your not a politician? I don't accept your answer one bit. I didn't change browsers at all. Im not a dumbass, I completely understand you couldn't foresee what FF 40 would do. Would I use v5 if I could, HELL YES, its way better than v3. But then again YOU didn't maybe v5 compatible with OS X 10.7, so I am stuck on v3.

If I wanted to use chrome (and be tracked by google, even more than I already am) then I would do so. However chrome has/is becoming bloated and a memory hog while firefox has seemingly gotten their act together. So your essentially telling customers to compromise their privacy and security to use your security software. Yeah that makes a whole lot of sense. I don't necessarily mind safari but its an old version and much less feature rich.

I notice you danced right past the idea of making v5 of the extension work with v3 of the software on OS X 10.7. Probably because its actually very doable but instead of just doing it and making users happy and loyal you shift the blame to them and say its their problem because they aren't running the new version. Keeping in mind that as far as I know this moment Apple is still supporting OS X 10.7, so by that standard I am on a "current" OS.

Your competitors don't seem to have this unwillingness to make their software compatible. Dashlane works on anything 10.6 and up and Lastpass works on 10.7 and up.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Ganzo,

I've moved your post from the Windows forum as you're a 1Password 3 for Mac user. For more on what has happened any what options are available please see our article titled 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@Chris Peden,

A significant amount changed in 1Password 4 including the entire role of the extension. It went from being practically a standalone version of 1Password to being nothing but a conduit of information, the sole purpose being to pass information to 1Password mini and to fill HTML fields using the information returned. That's why the old 1Password 3 extension is 1.6MB in size while the new 1Password 4 extension is 123KB. It isn't a matter of making a couple of small tweaks - the two extensions don't share any code or expected functionality. Retrofitting isn't feasible here.

The old extension currently only exists for those still using 1Password 3 for Mac but it is no longer being updated and hasn't been for a while now. There are a number of options still available, Firefox ESR 38 for example although yes, that has a time limit on it too. It will afford some some breathing room though which is still useful. Firefox ESR still includes the widget module but will receive any critical security updates until around May of next year. It is likely that the Safari extension will remain valid. I don't believe you are receiving updates to Safari any more given the version of OS X that you're running.

Regarding OS X. OS X 10.7 hasn't been receiving security updates since last October last year to the best of my knowledge and I fully expect Apple to keep the trend up and stop supporting OS X 10.8 when 10.11 is released this year. Unless I'm mistaken there have been a handful of high profile exploits that OS X 10.7 hasn't received patches for this late last year as way of example.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

@brently: Your answer is complete spin.

@Chris Peden: I'm going to assume that you're addressing me. ;)

Fortunately, that's simply not the case. I deal in facts. However, as I am fallible, I may have gotten something wrong or been otherwise unclear. If so, please correct me.

I don't accept your answer one bit. I didn't change browsers at all.

That's fine. You don't have to accept my answer. That's your prerogative. But it's the truth.

But I do apologize for not being more clear on this point: you changed from a compatible version of Firefox to one which is incompatible. And as I mentioned, you can continue to use Firefox ESR 38 with 1Password 3. You just can't have it both ways.

I completely understand you couldn't foresee what FF 40 would do. Would I use v5 if I could, HELL YES, its way better than v3. But then again YOU didn't maybe v5 compatible with OS X 10.7, so I am stuck on v3.

As you can imagine, we also couldn't foresee other parts of this equation as well: that you would be "stuck" on Lion and therefore unable to use 1Password 4 or 5, Mozilla making changes that impact the old extension, your unwillingness to take advantage of alternatives such as Chrome or Firefox ESR, etc.

If I wanted to use chrome (and be tracked by google, even more than I already am) then I would do so. However chrome has/is becoming bloated and a memory hog while firefox has seemingly gotten their act together. So your essentially telling customers to compromise their privacy and security to use your security software.

No way! Use Firefox ESR 38 until you're able to upgrade your OS! If security is really a concern, that is a much bigger problem than using a current version of Chrome and simply not logging into a Google Account. Migrating to an OS X release that is still receiving updates is much more critical, as the browser cannot protect you from bugs or holes in the operating system.

I notice you danced right past the idea of making v5 of the extension work with v3 of the software on OS X 10.7. Probably because its actually very doable but instead of just doing it and making users happy and loyal you shift the blame to them and say its their problem because they aren't running the new version.

No dancing. I'm not that talented. I'm sure it could be possible, but certainly not feasible. We're not going to do it. 1Password 3 the app would need to be rearchitected to support the new extension, so basically we'd need to create some hybrid 1Password 5/3 monstrosity rather than improving the current version of 1Password on current OS X releases which are actively supported by Apple.

Keeping in mind that as far as I know this moment Apple is still supporting OS X 10.7, so by that standard I am on a "current" OS.

10.7.5, which included a Safari update and bug fixes was released October 4, 2012. I think it's safe to say that this does not meet the definition of "current".

Your competitors don't seem to have this unwillingness to make their software compatible. Dashlane works on anything 10.6 and up and Lastpass works on 10.7 and up.

We keep our software current on current, supported OSes. There, we add support for new OS releases, browsers, etc. Ultimately, it's your money, so if you feel that you have not gotten your money's worth from 1Password 3 since 2009 and it would be better spent somewhere else, you're welcome to do so.

But just be aware that, again, you do have options to continue using 1Password 3; you're just refusing them. And to be fair, 1Password 3 would not even work on your version of OS X (or Firefox ESR 38, or Chrome, period) if we were as terrible about supporting our software as you seem to be implying.

What you're asking for right now is for us to add support for new browser releases — forever — in an old app on an obsolete platform, and this is simply unreasonable. We have an obligation to the rest of our customers as well to focus on the present and the future, rather than being stuck in the past, so the vast majority can benefit from improvements to 1Password. You don't have to like it, but I hope that you'll at least understand this.

• nunya
    nunya
    Community Member

Upgrade, use an older version of Firefox, or use a different browser... Come on Agile, you can do better than that. We know that you're not a huge company like Apple, but please try to look at it from your customers perspective. I have thousands of dollars in software and equipment that all want to be upgraded every year or two. I cant keep up! Some of them have to be put on a longer upgrade cycle. While I love 1Password and would hate to live without it, I really don't need all the latest bells and whistles. I just want it to work and be secure! I really expect it to do just that for more than a year or two before I have to throw more money at it. **Please just fix it or give us another $10 off of the upgrade. **

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Upgrade, use an older version of Firefox, or use a different browser... Come on Agile, you can do better than that.

@nunya: Yes! We only offer what is possible. You're asking us to offer options that don't exist, but it would be pretty rotten/silly/crazy of us to do so.

I have thousands of dollars in software and equipment that all want to be upgraded every year or two.

Me too. But 1Password 3 was released in 2009. We definitely don't have you on a yearly upgrade cycle. And again, you're free to continue using 1Password 3 for as long as you like with the same features and browser/OS support you've enjoyed for the past 6 years (and then some: Lion, Chrome, etc.), but that does require you to use it with the OS and browser versions it supports.

I just want it to work and be secure! I really expect it to do just that for more than a year or two before I have to throw more money at it.

Six years later, 1Password 3 continues to be secure and work as well as it ever did, even on browser and OS releases that didn't exist the time.

**Please just fix it or give us another $10 off of the upgrade. **

We offer very reasonable upgrade pricing to you and the rest of our awesome customers; it simply wouldn't be fair of us to give you preferential treatment. And again, you don't need to upgrade if you don't wish to, either for financial, technical, or philosophical reasons. You have a number of options, and you're entitled to choose or reject any as you see fit. But expecting us to invent additional options for you doesn't seem fair or reasonable.

• nunya
    nunya
    Community Member

Wow! I really didn't expect such a BS reply! I don't think I'll waste my time responding to everything you said. Instead I will spend it finding an alternative to 1Password. You just lost one more customer...

• nunya
    nunya
    Community Member

I really just wanted to hear that Agile still loves me... My heart is broken, but I guess I know when to move on.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @nunya,

I'm sorry you believe we don't love our customers and it may be nothing I have to say will sway you from that belief.

Every software company has decisions that have to make regarding survivability. There is the obvious price per unit and then there is the issue of major version updates and do they charge and if so how much. Some go down the route of subscriptions.

1Password 3 was first released in 2009 and remained in active development until 2012-2014 depending on how you view certain minor updates. I tend to discount the single 2014 update as it was merely to improve awareness of 1Password 4 while the single 2013 update at least had something for 1Password 3 users in it in the form of

Increased the minimum number of PBKDF2 iterations when creating a new keychain and changing your Master Password.

Depending on when you purchased you received updates in the form of bug fixes, improvements and new features for up to four years. Anybody who purchased 1Password 3 from the start of 2013 onwards also received a free licence for 1Password 4 when it was released. You could argue that anybody purchasing in 2012 received a bit of a bum deal but this is the case for all software and all computing hardware (note: the worst time to purchase new Apple hardware is right before a refresh but that's a paragraph by itself).

Now all software relies on at least the operating system and any standard libraries included with it. Should the OS or the libraries that the software relies on change enough that particular version of the software breaks. We don't have this single dependency though, we also rely on Safari, Firefox and Chrome. The same applies there, should any change sufficiently the extension breaks. All these dependencies our out of our control.

So when 1Password 3 was retired any future change in either OS X or any of the supported browsers did mean the possibility of something breaking.

In at least Yosemite, possibly others I know of at least two issues within 1Password 3 itself. Dropbox changed something and we don't recognise that it's running (minor issue) and the libraries used for importing no longer exist in the correct form (more significant). With the removal of the widget module in Firefox we've now seen the first break in the browsers. The widgets module was deprecated in Firefox 29, removed in Firefox 40 and we ceased development on the extension when we added compatibility support for Firefox 26.

As covered by Brenty your 1Password 3 licence still works and we still continue to support 1Password 3 but active development has ceased. At the moment I recommend Firefox ESR 38 as you will still receive important security updates but no other changes - that's its entire point - no surprises. It's a band-aid but it will give breathing room until May of next year. Both Safari and Chrome still continue to work with the 1Password 3 Extension but there is no guarantee that future changes won't have the same impact here too. Then there is the option (for some) to upgrade to 1Password 4/5 depending on their version of OS X and if they purchase via our AgileBits Store the upgrade discount is currently 50%. You're not forced to upgrade but we'd hope you'd enjoy the improvements.

Development time and support are finite resources that any software company have to manage, it's also true that maintaining multiple branches is often not a linear cost - fixes added for one version of OS X break another and so on. We want to be fair to all of our customers whilst also ensuring we continue to exist to create future versions for everybody that relies on us. It's a balancing act and comes with all the complexities balancing normally comes with. As I said at the start, you may never believe we've got this balance correct and if that's the case I am sorry to hear this is so.

• lgharkins
    lgharkins
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

NEVERMIND. I'm stuck with Lion. Grrrrrrrrr.
    @littlebobbytables I think I'll try to update to the newest 1P version. How do I claim the discount, as my 1P3 license is still valid.
    Thanks!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

Hi @lgharkins,

It looks like you edited your original post so I'm not sure what the "nevermind" is in reference to, but if you're unable to update your OS beyond Lion, then I'm sorry to say 1Password 3 is the latest version that will run on that OS.

A quick reference for our Mac app versions:

1Password 5 runs only on OS X 10.10 Yosemite
    1Password 4 runs best on OS X 10.9 Mavericks and 10.8 Mountain Lion
    1Password 3 runs best on OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.6 Snow Leopard

However, if/when you're able to update your OS to support a newer version of 1Password, you can get the upgrade discount in our upgrade store.

Meanwhile, many people find switching to Firefox ESR to be the best solution to this issue at this time.

This discussion has been closed.