1Password data storage

diitto
diitto
Community Member

Hi, help me understand where exactly my 1Password password information is stored. I'm asking because just today I happened upon an article about a data compromise that happened some time back with another password storage entity, Lastpass.

I have 1Password for mac installed on only one of my mac computers. I also have the mobile version on my iPhone but it is set up completely separately from what I have on my mac. And the mobile version is ONLY set up to allow me access to a few items of home automation I have.

Is any and all 1Password information ONLY stored locally on these two devices??? Or is it also located on a remote server in some far off place??? I think I should know this answer but it occurred to me this morning that, in fact, I'm not sure.

Let me know... thanks...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @diitto,

First, I want to say I'm really glad you're asking questions about the security of your data! That's what we like to see. :)

It makes us sad to hear about security breaches with other password managers, because that sort of thing can scare people away from using password managers in general. But fortunately, that same problem cannot happen to 1Password because your 1Password data is not stored on a central server. In other words, 1Password never sends your password data to us. Because we don't have your data, no one can steal it from us.

By default, all your 1Password data is stored locally on your devices. If you choose to use the iCloud or Dropbox sync option in 1Password, then an encrypted copy of your data is stored in your iCloud or Dropbox account, but your master password isn't stored anywhere at all (except in your head). We're very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your master password. It sounds like you might not be using a cloud sync option, but in case you are (or if you're curious), we have more information about that here: Is it safe to sync my data over the cloud?

You might also be interested in this knowledgebase article: How does 1Password keep my data safe?

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know! :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Thanks Drew... I appreciate the feedback... I didn't think you guys stored the 1Password data on some remote server but after reading that article, I hit me that, about that, I was not sure... So it never hurts to ask. thanks much... bob

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

And I will read the article you linked... thanks... bob

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

Hi @diitto,

On behalf of Drew, you're more than welcome! And I'll add my kudos as well, for being vigilant of your data security. :+1:

I also wanted to mention Wi-Fi Sync, in case you wanted a way to sync more of your data between your computer and iPhone without copying your data to the cloud. I'm not sure if you even want to have more of your 1Password data on your phone, but thought I'd put it out there just in case. :) Cheers!

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Much appreciated, Vee. I will look at it... Gosh, for a moment I thought you had said "WiFi Sense" which, I believe, is this new deal Microsoft has added to Windows 10 which will allow anyone to come to your home and automatically connect to your home network because an encrypted (supposedly) version of your home network's password will be stored in the Microsoft cloud... Oh my... You're kidding, right??? But no... I was all prepared to try Windows 10 (I run VMware Fusion on my mac) but that sure stopped me in my tracks... But you said "sync", not "sense"... Whew... Again, I will look at it... thanks... bob

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Ah, interesting, @diitto! This is actually the first I've heard of Microsoft's Wi‑Fi Sense. Found some good info about it in the FAQ here, in case you were interested. Looks like it only lets people access your secured Wi-Fi network if you specifically share it. But thanks for bringing that up, I'm glad to know about it!

Anyway, let us know if you need any more information about syncing your 1Password data over Wi-Fi (or anything else). Meanwhile, have a great weekend! :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hi Vee, Not that this has anything to do with 1Password, but regarding Microsoft's WiFi Sense, I heard it was on by default unless you changed the name of your home network to include the phrase _optout. I have quite a few non computer items on my home network, like DVR's for tv's and printers and such, all of which are time consuming to go use the tiny keyboards or on-screen software keyboards to change the name of your home network on each and every device. At least that's what I had heard, either change your home network name or have WiFi Sense turned on. I was only curious about Windows 10. I have Windows 7 Pro for any real PC needs so no hurry and I decided to let it sort itself out before I dived in to see whether I want to install Windows 10 anywhere...

On cloud computing in general, obviously it is where the world is headed if not that they are already there... The days of running apps that we own on our own computers might soon be a thing of the past. But I'm reticent about it because I've personally had data compromised at no less than FIVE major organizations in the last five years. I love technology but still I sort of walk around the edges and still try to keep boundaries on how much "cloud" work I allow.

Thanks again. I will read about syncing although my guess is I will keep what I do on my smart phone at a pretty low level compared to what I do on my mac...

And you have a great weekend as well... thanks... bob

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Sadly it does seem Windows 10 is quite... 'chatty'. Then again there were certain settings to disable if you didn't want Spotlight searching the web, it seems to be the way OSes are going these days.

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

I agree. Convenience versus security... Always a delicate tradeoff and for me, the convenience of me not having to give someone a guest password to log on to my home network (pretty easy actually) versus trusting Microsoft to store the password for that same network, encrypted (we hope) in the cloud... For me, that's an easy call. Security wins... But I will see if they are going to make it easier to optout of that accident waiting to happen. If so, I might give it a try one day but so far, my only need for Windows 10 is curiosity and we know what curiosity did to the cat... thanks for all the help and feedback... bob

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

This discussion has been closed.