Is 1password supposed to automatically update master password changes via dropbox?

Options
kita1
kita1
Community Member

I use 1password on a mac, macbook, iPhone, and iPad. When I updated my master password on one of them, it doesn't update on my other devices. So If I change it on my mac, my iOS devices will only detect the old password before it gets updated to the new one. Is this common and do I have to do I have to log into all my other devices with the previous password every time when I decide to change my master password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Roughly, you have to login once with the old password in order to enable the new password to become available through a sync.

Then you could continue using the old password, or you can use the new one and as soon as you use the new one then the old one will stop working.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @kita1,

So the technical reason behind what you're observing is that we only attempt to synchronise after you've unlocked your vault. So before we can read and write the newly encrypted encryption keys to the local vault it has to be unlocked. It's a bit unintuitive and stems from how things currently work. A more tightly bound system, one where you are forced to unlock/authenticate yourself with a server would not have this issue but 1Password is a decentralised offering where the data is first and foremost only stored locally with the option of synchronising.

As synchronising at all isn't a requirement I would imagine it could be very tricky to alter the current behaviour but I'm not one of our extremely talented developers so I could be wrong.

Does any of that help explain what I do understand must seem like odd behaviour on the surface.

This discussion has been closed.