OSX licensing question

Options
DedSec85
DedSec85
Community Member

Hello,

I want to start using 1Password. I own 3 Windows computers and my gf uses OSX.
I was looking for the 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle.

However, I've read that iCloud sync isn't available when you buy it from AgileBits. My girlfriend want to use iCloud sync.

What's the best way to purchase a license for Windows and OSX?

And can I use 1Password on multiple computers? Even if those computers are in different locations?

With kind regards,
DedSec85

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You may use a license for 1Password on all the machines of the same platform that you use yourself, regardless of where they are located. So one Windows license will cover you for all three of those Windows machines. The licenses are sold on a per person, per platform basis, so your girlfriend will need to buy a separate Mac license.

Now, the licensing terms allow for using a single user license on the devices of as many as six family members living in the same household. If those terms correctly describes your relationship, then the Mac-Windows bundle would be appropriate. Otherwise, you should buy a Windows license and she should buy a Mac license, with no bundle involved.

Now, you also say your girlfriend wants to use iCloud for syncing. You are correct that the only way for her to do that would be to buy from Apple on the Mac App Store. Be sure you know that you and she will not be able to share your synced data over iCloud, since Windows has no access to the required protocols. If sharing is one of your goals, you both will need to use Dropbox, which is available on all platforms from any legitimate source.

If bundle pricing still sounds like it meets your situation, and if iCloud is still needed for the Mac, then the only way you can get the bundle price would be to first buy a license from the Mac App Store at full price. Apple provides no way to discount any of its software for special cases. Once you have the receipt from Apple, email a copy to support+licenses@agilebits.com. Include a link to this thread and let them know you are seeking bundle pricing to add a Windows license. They will provide a discount for your Windows purchase on their web store. You'll receive an automated replay to your message that contains a support ticket number. It should speed things up a bit if you post that number back here in this thread.

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information!
    I will store our database on our NAS. My girlfriend will use iCloud for her own database.
    But, she also needs to be able to use the database on the NAS.

I will buy 1Password on OSX first and will send a e-mail to get the discount for the Windows application. Thanks for the help!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits does not recommend syncing data on a detachable drive. 1Password will have trouble when you detach from that NAS. There are solutions for this, though. You would use folder sync and a utility like rsync to keep things coordinated. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of that, since I'm happy using Dropbox, but you can read about this on this web page.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @DedSec85,

hawkmoth is quite correct, 1Password will get twitchy if the sync data is stored on a network drive which then becomes inaccessible (for instance you take the laptop with you somewhere outside the range of your home network). The reason is we don't get the same kind of notifications like we do if you use a pen drive where OS X will say "hey, that removable drive has been dismounted". With network shares you have to wait for things to time out. The Folder Sync was designed with pen drives in mind but people have found third party tools like rsync or ChronoSync allow them to achieve their goal. Just thought you should be aware. The reason Dropbox works as well as it does is because we don't contact the server directly but instead we deal with a copy of the Agile Keychain that is locally stored and we leave it up to the Dropbox service to ensure it is all synced correctly.

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice! I don't have any dropbox account so I won't use that I guess. I attached the NAS to my Windows PC over a cable network, not wireless.

The Macbook is wireless but is always in range of the WiFi network.

I'm still figuring out the best way where to store the databases, but I will keep this in mind.
    Thanks!

Thanks!
    DedSec85

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @DedSec85,

Despite the obvious temptation to use your NAS, heck you purchased it for a reason after all, you would find Dropbox would be a lot less fiddly to set up and less likely to break too. Part of that reason is we've worked with Dropbox for a while now and we know how their system behaves and handles conflicts. For example, Synology's Cloud Station software works in a similar way to Dropbox's service but we know how Dropbox behaves if there are conflicts and we handle these in an automated manner. Dropbox do offer free accounts that offer 2GB storage, much more than you will ever use for 1Password and it's cross platform as well. Of course I do understand some people don't like Dropbox on principle and that is each person's choice. Still, with multiple machines involved it would be the path of least resistance and stress so possibly worth considering.

This discussion has been closed.