I need OSX 10.6.8. Will 1PW Version 3.8 be signed so it can work with Firefox 40+?

Title says it all. I need to keep OSX 10.6.8 going so I can use older legacy software. Firefox seems to now require signed apps. Is Agilebits considering putting out a signed version of 1PW3 so it will work with Firefox?

1Password Version: Version 3.8.22 (build 32010)
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: OSX 10.6.8
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Sorastro,

The matter of a signed 1Password Firefox Extension became moot when Firefox removed the widget module in Firefox 40. As such the extension no longer works regardless of its signed state. As you can imagine this kindle a passionate discussion which can be mostly found in 1Password 3 extension is missing in Firefox 40. Active development in 1Password 3 and its extension was stopped some time ago (we last worked on compatibility for Firefox 26 when the widgets module was still in active service) so the bad news is it won't be signed or updated. This page, written regarding the removal of the widgets module covers what options are available and the page can be found at 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later. It's not a permanent solution but for now Firefox ESR 38 is likely your best bet. I'm sorry it isn't better news to report.

• Sorastro
    Sorastro
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification - I read the referenced page and missed that the widget module was the problem, not just signing the app. Much bigger job than I envisioned. Looks like its Firefox ESR 38 for now and work mostly with Safari & Chrome.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sorastro,

Trust me when I say the signing issue happening at the same time caused a lot of confusion for our users.

Now while I'm certainly not aware of anything in the roadmap that would cause it, what happened with Firefox may happen or depending on how you look at it will happen eventually with Chrome. Part of the issue is if you upgrade the dependencies of one application with upgrading it too you will likely, again eventually though, reach a point where the two are now incompatible. I'm not aware of any reason why this should happen any time soon to Chrome but I just want to prepare you to the possibility.

Now this isn't likely at all with Safari because Apple aren't supplying updates to Snow Leopard any more and haven't been for a while. Of course that means there may well be flaws in the version of Safari that you're running that are patched in later yet inaccessible versions.

The best bet for now though is Firefox ESR as that will give you time to ponder your next move whilst still getting to use a browser that is receiving security updates.

This discussion has been closed.