Shared vault between Windows and Mac OS X : some display inconsistencies

Options
Lemimouth
Lemimouth
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Mac

I share a vault between the Mac, iOS and Windows apps. I've noticed some UI inconsistencies:

• If I create a new item from the Windows app (for eg. a Login item) and I rename a default field (like "URL") to something else, the field still appears with the default label in the Mac OS X and IOS apps

• When creating a Login item from the Windows app, the login / password fields appear twice in the Mac OS X / iOS apps:

• From the Windows app, if I add a new field to an existing section, and I reorder this field, it is not reordered in the Mac OS X / iOS apps

Versions:

• Mac OS X: 5.4 BETA 34
  • Windows: 4.6.0.585
  • iOS: 5.5

1Password Version: 5.4 BETA 34
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11 PB 5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Lemimouth,

We currently have two formats that we support in terms of vaults/sync containers. One is called the Agile Keychain and was first introduced in 1Password 3 back in 2009. This was quite a rigid format and it didn't allow for default fields to be renamed or record the ordering of fields. It sounds like you are using an Agile Keychain and being bitten by both of these side-effects. Unfortunately, due to compatibility reasons it is unlikely the Agile Keychain format will ever support this. It's predecessor, OPVault is more generalised and as a format should be able to cope with both of these.

The last is unusual. I haven't come across that before. Does it make any difference if the Login item is created from within the Browser or if you manually create a new Login item from within the main 1Password window? I assume the same isn't happening in reverse?

The one aspect I'm curious about is locale settings on both your Mac and Windows machine. Support for localisation was a recent addition to 1Password for Windows so I'm wondering if maybe it's related. If we can reproduce the issue we can create a report detailing the bug and see about getting it resolved :smile:

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables,

I converted the vault to the OPVault format, and these 3 problems are, for new items, fixed :)

For this vault I don't use the 1Password extension, items are created mainly from the "New item" button of the Windows app. The locale of both Windows and Mac is set to French (Switzerland).

Thanks !

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lemimouth,

Well I'm glad to hear transitioning to the OPVault format helped solve what sounds like all of the issues and thank you for that additional information. So just to confirm, the duplicate fields aren't present for new items in an OPVault container. If that's the case it might be we have a bug between the fairly new language option and Agile Keychains in 1Password for Windows which I will check. Apologies for asking for additional confirmation, I just want to make sure that it's not an issue going forward for you as if I assume wrongly here we would be leaving you hanging with no final resolution - not what we want to do at all.

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    Options

I confirm that with the OPVault container, when I create a new login item from the Windows app, fields aren't duplicated in the Mac app ;)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lemimouth,

Dropbox has been experiencing some service issues today, which might be related to the most recent trouble you're having with syncing. Here's a thread on their forum mentioning it:

8/30/2015 - OUTAGE – Dropbox Community

Their Status - Dropbox page now says: Dropbox is running normally.

The Dropbox app was stuck trying to sync on two of my Macs (using different Dropbox accounts), temporarily finished what it was doing, and is now stuck again on one of them. Looks like they're still in the process of fully recovering from this outage.

Can you verify that Dropbox is syncing other files normally for you before we continuing troubleshooting any issues it might be having with syncing your 1Password data?

How do I know when Dropbox is syncing? (Dropbox Help Center)

Thanks!

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk,

Although I typed "Dropbox" for the sync type, the vault is in fact on a file share that is accessed both by the Mac and Windows apps, so no Dropbox involved here.

I then use robocopy (the rsync equivalent in Windows) to periodically sync the vault to my dropbox folder so I can access it on iOS, but this is a one way sync (network share => Dropbox). I don't need to add new items to this vault from iOS.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @Lemimouth,

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry for any misunderstanding on my part.

I confirm that with the OPVault container, when I create a new login item from the Windows app, fields aren't duplicated in the Mac app ;)

So that's now working correctly for you? Sounds like what littlebobbytables suspected with Agile Keychains could be true:

So just to confirm, the duplicate fields aren't present for new items in an OPVault container. If that's the case it might be we have a bug between the fairly new language option and Agile Keychains in 1Password for Windows which I will check.

I think's gone for today so we may have to wait to find out more about what he was checking. Oh, wait, he just returned and I'll ask him if he can follow up here again once he has more information. :)

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    Options

Well, in my 2nd post of this thread I said that after switching to OPVault, all the reported problems are solved. What do you want to follow up ? ;)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You certain did say that, @Lemimouths:

I converted the vault to the OPVault format, and these 3 problems are, for new items, fixed :)

And I'd even read that when I first saw this thread, then forgot it when replying later. Sorry for my mixups here! :ohnoes:

Glad to hear the problems you reported are indeed fixed after the switch to OPVault format. No reason to reply again unless you'd like to. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.