iCloud sync not an available option

wgstarks
wgstarks
Community Member

I have iCloud drive enabled but iCloud is not an option in sync preferences. Only dropbox and folder. Wifi sync is off. 1password version 5.3.2.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/, ug:mac/sync-icloud, kb:icloud-not-available, kb:icloud-enable-in-system-preferences, kb:icloud-not-available

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

5.3.2 is the version direct from AgileBits. Due to restrictions by Apple, iCloud sync is only available in the version bought from the Mac App Store.

If you bought 5.3.2 no more than thirty days ago, you can get a refund and then buy the version from the App Store. But many people, including most AgileBits staff, use Dropbox sync (which is available on all versions of 1PW0 and does have some technical advantages. Also, if you buy direct then you can get a discount on future paid upgrades, whereas Apple do not permit that on upgrades from the App Store.

The purchase page does say clearly that the App Store version is needed for iCloud sync. But people do seem to miss this, and I wish AgileBits would give this warning in several places, not just one, so that it would be harder to miss.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wgstarks,

danco has covered the essentials here. We also have a page designed to try and cover some of the common questions about this which you can find at iCloud FAQs (iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite). Now I see your purchase was made at the start of the year so unfortunately it does fall outside our refund window by a number of months now. The other aspect to consider is you purchased an upgrade licence, one of the most cost effective ways to upgrade but Apple's Mac App Store doesn't have any way to offer such a discount - their system allows for a single price that is applied to all.

Hopefully Dropbox might be an acceptable alternative in this instance?

• wgstarks
    wgstarks
    Community Member

Thanks. Too bad Agile Bits doesn't mention this in the User Guide for version 5. I think it would save everyone some time and agitation. Dropbox works ok, I was just trying to free up some space for other things.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @wgstarks,

Understandable and we're always happy to hear how we can improve not just 1Password but also where people struggle with the documentation. Can I ask, when you went researching where did you start as the likely places to look, was it the Syncing your 1Password data or were you looking elsewhere? It's a genuine question to understand how people use the guide for future improvement :smile:

• wgstarks
    wgstarks
    Community Member

I was looking in the User Guide under the heading 2.9.5 Sync Preferences. Now that I know what to look for I see that there is a note there about only being able to set iCloud sync with the AppStore version. Perhaps adding a link to a description of how to tell which version you have installed might help might help. I know half the time I couldn't even tell you what I had for lunch today much less where I downloaded an app months ago. :D

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Perhaps adding a link to a description of how to tell which version you have installed might help might help. I know half the time I couldn't even tell you what I had for lunch today much less where I downloaded an app months ago. :dizzy:

@wgstarks: Haha, point taken! We'll see if there are places we need to clarify this more. But you can also — just to be sure — check the exact version by going to 1Password > About. Thanks or the feedback! :)

P.S: I wish for you a more memorable lunch today and every day thereafter! :lol:

ref: 65362

This discussion has been closed.