Helping a great friend learning 1Password, and him do things right.

prime
prime
Community Member

So a great friend of mine had some bad things happen to him and it could have been the end of his company. I been hounding him about not using the same password twice, unique passwords, long passwords, and 1Password in the past also, but he would just brushed it off. This is a guy who basically built the hardware for the Internet as we know it today, but software, he gets lost at times haha.

So last week he purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store and started to play with it after me telling him about it since I got it. He has it on his phone at one time, when you had to buy it (no in app purchase), but never used it. Sometime last week he texted me all excited now he made his Facebook password from 1Password. I was happy that he is taking his on-line accounts seriously. I would tell him that some could hack into his Facebook, get on his company's Facebook, and ruin his reputation. I know a few business owners, and learned they make enemies easily. Nothing that the business owner would do, just, people see they are an "owner" and think they are an easy target.

I think what helped me get him to go this route was a little Facebook help page I made. All I do is post about companies being hacked/data breaches, how people use the same password and why that’s bad, and other things. I am no pro at this by any means, but I love reading about it and helping people as much as possible.

So last night I was at his house. Fixed his internet (wireless issue, and made that password for his network from 1Password), put a SSD in his iMac (that was a project, never thought about how hard drives are bigger than SSD, and SSDs don't mount right on existing HD mounts. Zip ties fixes everything haha). Installed the 1Password extensions on his iMac and MacBook Pro, and he's happy.

The best news was he got a letter from Quickbooks and they found the unauthorized activity. He is getting back on track and now with unique password for everything.

This was a tough sell for me with him. This guy is my best friend and my brother to me, but I wanted to kick him when I 1st told him that he needed to protect his stuff.

Next project is his iCloud stuff and all the work phones he has. I might need a lot drinks during and after that one!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @prime,

Thanks so much for sharing this story! I hope your friend buys you several of your favourite beverage for the tech support. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am no pro at this by any means, but I love reading about it and helping people as much as possible.

@prime: So great! :)

Zip ties fixes everything haha

So so great! :lol:

Next project is his iCloud stuff and all the work phones he has. I might need a lot drinks during and after that one!

If you can, limit him to a single Apple ID. Otherwise you may need to commandeer a brewery for the duration. ;)

In all seriousness though, I think anyone could use a friend like you. Thanks for spreading the word about 1Password and security, but more importantly, it's always wonderful to see someone take a page out of Gandhi's book:

“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. … We need not wait to see what others do.”

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

Thanks!!! I like that quote too. I just had to show a picture of the SSD and the zip ties, it just cracks me up.

I will have a single account for him, but not sure of the other 2 iPhones in his office. I don't want an "oops" with photos getting mixed up on workers phones....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:dizzy:

@prime: You just made my day! :+1: :lol: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.