Feature Request: Propose a well defined license metadata format for import

cclark
cclark
Community Member

Hello,

1Password has a ton of pull and can shift the momentum in this space because of how much momentum you've built up thanks to your singular focus on building a fantastic product. Just look at how many people jumped at adding 1Password support on iOS when you released the 1Password App Extension. I think you could use this position to improve the situation around managing software licenses.

It would be great if you defined a format (JSON, XML or otherwise) that has all the pertinent non-binary info around a software license. When I purchase a piece of software and I receive the email or a link is revealed that has my license key it would be awesome to have access to a .licenseinfo file which I can import into 1Password that has all the details the software vendor might care to populate for me. For some it might just be the key. But for others it might be purchase date, price, version etc. Maybe there is even a way to include a binary field for vendors which have a proprietary, binary license file format.

I love 1Password and try to keep it up to date but it is tedious to manually fill out Software License info and I find myself defaulting to leaving it in mail and searching for it if I ever need it again. I install clean every year when a new version of OS X comes out and I remember once again what a pain it is. I'd love to see AgileBits alleviate that pain just as you have for my password pain.

thanks,
chuck

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:import license

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

love 1Password and try to keep it up to date but it is tedious to manually fill out Software License info and I find myself defaulting to leaving it in mail and searching for it if I ever need it again.

@cclark: I agree! And this is actually already a thing!

1PIF is an open format which is pure JSON, and some companies already provide license data as a 1PIF. MacUpdate is the only one that immediately comes to mind, but I know I've encountered others as well.

Now, the unfortunate reality is that there isn't much incentive for anyone to offer licenses as 1PIF or anything else, as at that point they've already got your money...and I doubt anyone ever gets asked "Do you offer license import files for 1Password?" as part of the pre-sale process.

That said, if you have other ideas as to how something like this could get off the ground (after all, it's been years already) we'd love to hear them. :)

• cclark
    cclark
    Community Member

Awesome! I didn't know about this and searching for license file metadata import didn't turn it up. Go ahead and close this feature request and I'll spread the word about 1pif

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

and thank you for your passion to 1Password @cclark :smile:

This discussion has been closed.