Not always prompted to update Login when changing password on sites

telUK
telUK
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi

This may have been reported already...

I'm finding a lot of the time if I change password to a generated password, I never get an update login prompt, so I have to manually go to saved password history and copy/paste it in.

Also when I hover over the login website from the address bar area if I try to copy a password the box just disappears when I attempt to copy.

This is on mac with safari browser and 1password safari extension

Fully updated on yosmite os.
Latest 1password for mac purchased from app store.

Thanks terry

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @telUK,

I'm sorry you're having some issues with 1Password!

I'm finding a lot of the time if I change password to a generated password, I never get an update login prompt, so I have to manually go to saved password history and copy/paste it in.

Do you mean it works as expected on some sites, but not on others? As long as it's working on some sites, the problem is basically that the "change password" forms on the other sites are doing something differently that prevents 1Password from being able to detect that change.

As with regular Login forms on websites, the form to change a password is different on every site, so 1Password isn't always able to detect a password change. However, if you click the Fill button (or if you click the ▼ button next to Fill and choose Copy) when using the Password Generator in the 1Password extension, that will create a new Password item in 1Password. That's where you can find the generated password and use it to manually update your Login item (and it sounds like that's what you're doing).

You can check out this knowledgebase article for more information about recovering unsaved passwords.

Also when I hover over the login website from the address bar area if I try to copy a password the box just disappears when I attempt to copy.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. Can you elaborate on the exact steps you're taking? Is this happening in Safari, or in the main 1Password app, or in 1Password mini/extension? What box is disappearing? If you can give us some more specific details about what you're trying to do, the steps you take to do it, and what happens instead, that will help us understand what you're seeing on your end so we can help. Thanks! :)

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

Hi Drew

Ok I understand, as for the last issue it was to do with when I was wanting to change my own passwords to generated passwords.

The website password change areas ask for old password first before entering new passwords so I would click on the safari extension icon and just under search it has the website Im on.

If I put my cursor over it, it brings up the login information but when I click the copy password field it would not copy, instead the login information would just vanish when I attempted to click copy.

So I have to open 1password to get the original password instead.

Hope that makes sense, its a minor issue anyway.

*******seems ok today so maybe it was just me*********

**Save me opening a new thread does the android version of 1password have any extensions for chrome or any other web browser? I have a android tablet but I can't find any method of filling login info automatically, I have to keep copy/paste everything from the app.

thanks

Terry

• kelpie
    kelpie
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

Hi
    I too am having issues with the password not updating. I have just updated around a dozen sites with new passwords and not once was I asked by 1P to save the new one. Each time I have updated 1P manually after changing the site. It used to work fine but seems to have stopped recently. I have the "Automatically ask to save new log-ins" checked and for a new log in I am asked to save, just not for updates.
    Cheers

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @telUK,

I'm glad copying your passwords seems to be working correctly now! I'm not sure why that wouldn't have been working before, so hopefully it was just a fluke and will continue working as expected.

**Save me opening a new thread does the android version of 1password have any extensions for chrome or any other web browser? I have a android tablet but I can't find any method of filling login info automatically, I have to keep copy/paste everything from the app.

Filling your 1Password data in browsers on Android works a little differently than on other platforms, but you can still fill Logins automatically, similar to using a browser extension on Mac or Windows. We have information on how to do that in this section of the User Guide. If you need any help with that, please be sure to check out our 1Password for Android forum.

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kelpie,

I'm sorry you're also not being asked to save changes to your Login passwords! There's always a chance that 1Password isn't able to detect the password change on those particular sites, but I agree it seems strange that it didn't work for a dozen sites in a row. To help us figure out the problem, we'll just need to know some more details about your setup:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What web browser are you using, and what exact version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?
    • When you change a password on a website and use the password generator in the 1Password extension, is it able to correctly fill the new generated password in that form?
    • After using the password generator in the 1Password extension, are you able to find that new password in the Passwords category of the main 1Password app?

Thanks!

• kelpie
    kelpie
    Community Member

What version of Mac OS X are you running?

What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?

Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    Web Store

What web browser are you using, and what exact version?
    Safari 8.0.8
    What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?
    4.4.3 but i also used 1P mini

When you change a password on a website and use the password generator in the 1Password extension, is it able to correctly fill the new generated password in that form?
    Yes

After using the password generator in the 1Password extension, are you able to find that new password in the Passwords category of the main 1Password app?
    Yes

Cheers

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @kelpie!

As far as I can tell, everything seems to be set up properly, and since new Password items are saved to your vault and you're prompted to save new Logins, it sounds like things are generally working correctly. That would suggest 1Password just wasn't able to detect the password change on those sites, which can happen ("change password" forms differ from site to site even more so than login forms).

However, you might want to try installing the latest beta version of the 1Password extension in your browser in case that contains improvements that will help it detect password changes on more sites. If you'd like to try that:

It might also help if you can let us know some of the sites where 1Password hasn't prompted you to update a Login with the new password. If we happen to have accounts on any of those same sites, we should be able to test it out to see if we have the same problem. Thanks!

• kelpie
    kelpie
    Community Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've installed the beta extension and there's no change. I changed the password to this forum and still did not get the prompt to save a new log in.

Cheers

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kelpie,

Thanks for trying the beta extension to make sure of that. As for these forums, that's normal behavior. I imagine that sounds a bit strange, but we're using Vanilla's forum software here, so we didn't actually create it ourselves. Unfortunately the change password form here works in a way which 1Password is currently unable to detect.

Are you able to let us know any other examples of sites where you aren't prompted to save password changes?

• kelpie
    kelpie
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

How about http://forum.devontechnologies.com/ ? I just changed that and was not prompted to save the new password. Or this
    http://www.pocketmags.com/ as the first one was a forum.

Cheers

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kelpie,

Thanks for the URLs! Someone here has an account on http://forum.devontechnologies.com/ and was able to do some testing with their change password form. It looks like there might be a small bug that could cause 1Password to not prompt to update a Login item in certain situations, and I'm hoping you can try something to see if you have the same results.

We think this might have something to do with clicking the Fill button in the Password Generator, and that copying/pasting the new generated password into the appropriate fields might work. So if you don't mind, can you try this quick test:

• Sign into your account on http://forum.devontechnologies.com/ and go to the settings to change your password.
    • Fill the fields there like normal, except for the fields where you need to enter the new password.
    • Once you've filled the other fields, open the 1Password extension / 1Password mini.
    • Use the Password Generator to create a new password, but do not click the 'Fill' button - instead, highlight the password and use the ⌘C keyboard shortcut to copy it to the clipboard.
    • Paste the new password (using Edit > Paste or the ⌘V shortcut) into the new/confirm password fields, and submit it.

When you do it that way, are you prompted to update your Login item? Please let us know how it goes for you, thanks! :)

• kelpie
    kelpie
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

Yes, copying the password worked and I was prompted to save the new password

Cheers

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kelpie,

Right on! We're glad that worked for you. Thanks for letting us know. We're here for you if you ever need anything else. In the meantime, enjoy 1Password! :)

• kelpie
    kelpie
    Community Member

Hi @Vee

This is a bit long winded to change passwords, is the 'Fill' button problem going to be fixed in future versions?

Cheers

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kelpie,

Thanks so much for trying that and confirming it works the same way for you! That's definitely a bug, and we'll be opening a bug report so our developers can fix it. I don't have a timeframe for when a fix will be available, but it seems like this is something that would affect a lot of customers on a lot of websites, in which case I'm sure it will be given a high priority.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience! Thank you very much for helping us to find this issue, we really appreciate it. If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know. :)

• kelpie
    kelpie
    Community Member

@Drew_AG
    OK, thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

• larsg
    larsg
    Community Member

i can just confirm the above bug - i have recenty updated dozens of passwords. i was going to report this behavior as well before i found this thread - i have the issue on both mac (chrome) and windows (chrome) extensions.

As you discussed previously i can confirm that when using 'fill' it fails to prompt to update login (on twitter, for example), but when you copy / paste from the generator, it does prompt me to update the login after submitting.

do you have an eta for a fix for this?

thanks!
    Lars

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @larsg,

Thanks for asking about this, as I actually do have some good news! I checked with a developer, and this was fixed in the latest 1Password extension beta.

Just to clarify, this fix is specifically for when you’re filling a generated password on a change password form. There's a similar bug that happens if you're filling a generated password for a brand new website account on a registration page (that one isn't fixed quite yet).

If you'd like to install the beta extension:

If you don't want to install the beta extension, you can still copy/paste the generated password into the change password form as a workaround for now.

If you have more questions about that, just let us know! :)

• larsg
    larsg
    Community Member

thank you Drew, this works perfectly
    (although i'm sure you noticed the main application window (not the browser extension) now only gets bigger and cannot be resized to smaller - non blocking ui bug which i'll definitely live with for now:) )
    cheers
    Lars

• Hi @larsg,

Sorry, could you expand a bit on that please. Are you saying you can't resize the 1Password window like other applications? I haven't noticed any issues in the stable or most recent beta and I haven't heard of any reports. If there's an issue we would definitely want to make sure we're aware.

• larsg
    larsg
    Community Member

Hi - it seems i can no longer reproduce that - i'm using the very latest beta on both mac / windows. The problem was in the main window (on OS windows) where i could not drag the edges to make the window a smaller size. today it works, i suppose case closed!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Hi Lars ( @larsg ),

In case it might make a difference, exactly which version of OS X are you running and which version of 1Password?

Edit: Oh, so main window resizing is now working for you - great! Let us know if the problem returns and we'll investigate further.

Cheers!

• kc7
    kc7
    Community Member

Hi, Is there any news which version this fix will be available in? I'm using Version 5.4.1 (541003) and the problem is still present. I've been running a trial of both 1Password and Dashlane for nearly a month now (to see which one to go forward with) and I really prefer the security model in 1P but right now Dashlane usability has it hands down :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kc7: It's in testing, as it requires an update to both the app itself and the extension. I can't say for certain when an update will be available to everyone, but thing are looking good so hopefully we'll be able to release a stable version Soon™. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for being patient. :blush:

• kc7
    kc7
    Community Member

Thanks for the update @brenty appreciate it. Is there any page highlighting known issues and what to expect in forthcoming releases?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kc7,

We don't have such a page no. When it comes to updates we actually play our cards pretty close to our chest. Some people aren't a fan but it does mean we can't break any promises or disappoint based on expectations which I can understand.

• wassupdoc
    wassupdoc
    Community Member

Having the same issue as others about changing the password. The dialog only pops up about half the time recognizing that I've changed the password. Had to change my amazon password today. I used fill instead of command-c since I never know which sites it'll automatically work on. the problem is when it doesn't work there seems to be a hard process to actually update 1password with the generated password. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?? There is the generated password in the mini-dialog which I can't seem to copy. Why not have a manual option there that will allow me to trigger the update password dialog or at least copy it? Everything else is great about 1password but it really is hard to update passwords on sites with the current way things are set up. You could also have the generate new password option within each login dialog box so that the generated passwords are linked to the current login.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wassupdoc,

the problem is when it doesn't work there seems to be a hard process to actually update 1password with the generated password.

We've got a great article in our support documentation that discusses how to change a password for a site saved in 1Password, and at the bottom is a link to a second article that outlines the 'Change password safety nets' that 1Password has in place for those times when you're not properly prompted to update your item in 1Password.

I hope this helps! Of course, our team is constantly working on improving 1Password and ensuring that it can recognize when you're updating a password on a website.

• wassupdoc
    wassupdoc
    Community Member

Thanks Megan those support articles are helpful. It still seems like a lot of steps to get the generated password to replace the old password. How about a button above the 'show previously used passwords' button that 'replace with generated password'?

This discussion has been closed.