I'm trying to update my 1Password to version 3.8.22

CharMa
CharMa
Community Member

and whenever I go through the process it says "An error ocurred when extracting the archive. Please try again."

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Yosemite 10.10.5
Sync Type: Manual
Referrer: forum-search:The 1Password button disappeared from my Firefox browser

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Try downloading the version of 1P3 available here and see if that works for you.

If you have problems with 1P3 and Firefox then look at this knowledge base article:

1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later

Stephen

• Greetings @CharMa,

I think the link Stephen_C has provided might be what you're really wanting to learn about give the text you seem to have been searching for.

One cause of extraction errors is if you're using a third party tool. We've had instances where users come to us and it turns out a different tool has problems while OS X's built-in extractor doesn't.

Given we're both suspecting that updating to the last version of 1Password 3 for Mac won't help with the actual issue please note we will work with you as best we can given the 1Password 3 Firefox Extension will not work in any version of Firefox going forward. We cover what happened and what options are available in that link.

• CharMa
    CharMa
    Community Member

Thank you both for your help. As you've surmised, I'm trying to get the KEY icon back on my Firefox browser, and in doing so I tried (and failed) to update the software.

I'm trying to perform the first step of "How to safely uninstall the 1Password 3 browser extension", which is to Ensure old logins have been saved. However, the fourth direction in that first step calls for me to click the KEY button, which isn't appearing on my browser. How should I continue?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CharMa,

I looked up your forum email address in our sales records and found that you've just purchased a license for 1Password 5 for Mac a few days ago. And you are running OS X Yosemite, so even though the subject line of your post says "I'm trying to update my 1Password to version 3.8.22," it sounds like perhaps you are actually trying to upgrade from v3 to 1Password 5 for Mac, following this guide. Is that accurate?

How long have you been using 1Password 3 on this computer? Do you have login items saved in the v3 browser extension in Firefox?

• CharMa
    CharMa
    Community Member

I've been running version 3 with no license for over two years, and earlier this week my KEY icon / shortcut on Firefox disappeared. I then decided to purchase the license and try to update to version 5 so I could get my KEY icon back, but when I try to update from my current version I get the error I mentioned in the first post.

So that's where I'm at. All I want is the key icon back. I don't care what version I'm running on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CharMa: Sorry for the confusion! Thanks for clarifying your situation. We'll get this sorted out for you in no time!

1Password 3 will not offer an update to 1Password 5, since that's a paid upgrade. We want to avoid giving people the impression that it's a free download.

But since you've already purchased a 1Password 5 license, all you need to do is follow the instructions in the email you received to install 1Password 5 and register the app. When you open 1Password 5, it should automatically find your existing 1Password 3 vault, and you should be all set! Just be sure to install the new 1Password extension in your browser as well.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

ref: 875366

This discussion has been closed.