can't get into account

Options
francie
francie
Community Member

I have 1Password 4. Usually there is a lock symbol in the upper right corner of my screen. This morning I opened my account and wanting to figure out how to enter a new log-in I closed 1P mini. The lock symbol has disappeared. Also, in my ribbon at the bottom of my screen there is the shadow of a question mark. When I hover over it "1 Password 4" appears but when I click it nothing happens. So, two problems: 1. I can't get back into my account, and 2. I don't know how to simply save a new log-in. HELP!

PS: I'm not so skilled in this area. :) AND I would like to upgrade to 1P 5 for Mac.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have closed 1P mini and can't get back into my account. The ? at the bottom of my screen is gray.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @francie,

I'm sorry you're having an odd problem with 1Password 4! I think a few more details will help us figure out what's going on:

Usually there is a lock symbol in the upper right corner of my screen.

I'm not sure what "lock symbol" you're referring to. Do you mean the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar? (In 1Password 4, that looked like a key.) Or the 1Password extension icon in your web browser (which looks the same as the 1Password mini icon)? Or something else?

This morning I opened my account and wanting to figure out how to enter a new log-in I closed 1P mini.

Can you describe how you closed 1Password mini? Do you mean you clicked the 1Password mini icon, then the gear/settings icon, and then chose Quit 1Password mini? If not, please elaborate on what you did. Even if you don't remember exactly, any detail you can give us might be helpful.

Also, in my ribbon at the bottom of my screen there is the shadow of a question mark. When I hover over it "1 Password 4" appears but when I click it nothing happens.

It sounds like you're describing the 1Password icon in the Dock on your Mac (i.e. the row of app icons at the bottom). That's not the actual 1Password app, it's just a shortcut to it. If you see a question mark on an app icon in the Dock, it means that shortcut is no longer able to find the app it's supposed to launch (for example, if the actual app has been deleted).

The 1Password app should normally be located in the Applications folder on your Mac (i.e. Macintosh HD/Applications/). If you go to that Applications folder, are you able to find the 1Password app in there? If so, simply drag it from there into the Dock to add a new (working) shortcut. You can also drag the old shortcut (the one with a question mark) out of the Dock to remove it.

If you can't find the 1Password app in the Applications folder, it may have somehow been moved or deleted (but your data should still be on your Mac, as it's stored elsewhere). Try searching for 1Password on your Mac using Spotlight (the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner of the screen). If you need to, you can download 1Password 4 for Mac again. If you were using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, you can download version 4 from the "Legacy" section at the bottom of our download site. Or if you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store, launch the Mac App Store and you should be able to re-download 1Password from the Purchases section.

If you're able to find or re-download the 1Password app, does that solve the other problems you mentioned?

I don't know how to simply save a new log-in.

Once you find the 1Password app (and if it's working correctly), you can save a new Login by following the steps here: Saving a Login

PS: I'm not so skilled in this area.

No problem! We're happy to help, and if you need me to be more specific about anything I've mentioned, just let us know and we can give you more details.

I would like to upgrade to 1P 5 for Mac.

If you've purchased 1Password 4 for Mac, version 5 is a free upgrade. 1Password 5 requires Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), so if you're still using OS X 10.8 or 10.9, you'll need to continue using 1Password 4.

I hope this helps, please let us know how it all goes!

This discussion has been closed.