sync problems after restore.... path to vault not in pref pane

Options
jasperx
jasperx
Community Member

I have been a 1Password user since version 3, using Dropbox to sync to all my computers. Currently we are running version 5 downloaded from Agilebits. We don't use 1Password on iOS.
On a recent trip 1Password acted up. I had a login open for editing and noticed a little later that the login I was working on was totally missing. It was not in trash... no where. I needed to keep working so used restore to get back to a version right before the "disappearance". Things were working fine but a bit later the exact thing happened again and once again restore solved the problem. I quickly notified the other computer user back home that things were wonky and that care needed to be taken with any updates made to our passwords.... we both took screenshots of any additions we made.
On returning home I noticed that my other computer's version of the vault was from before the restore I had done on the laptop. So syncing was not working in the usual way? I cannot be sure that no syncing was working but cannot rule it out.
Today I went in to try to figure out what has been going on and to get all of us on the same version before total chaos breaks out. Opening the preference panel >sync I discover a single Primary vault set to sync with None. Not sure how this happened but it explains the lack of syncing. I am completely perplexed that I cannot see where the 1Password file is stored in the preference pane but I can use spotlight to see that it is stored where it always has been in my Dropbox folder. Checking the other computer, the preference pane correctly shows the file stored in Dropbox.
At this point I am thinking I need to enter the path to the Dropbox file into the preference pane. I am worried that when I do something will get lost. Right now I have no idea where changes made on the laptop are getting stored or if they are getting stored. Plenty of changes have been made from the other computer.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:prefs not showing path

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasperx,

I'm sorry you're having such an odd issue with editing & syncing in 1Password. Thank you for such a great description of the problems, what you tried, and what you noticed in the settings - it's extremely helpful for us and saves a lot of time! :)

I don't think I've heard of a problem where items with unsaved changes disappear from 1Password. Even if you start editing an item and then quit 1Password without saving changes, you should see the item the next time you open 1Password, and it should have a Resume Editing button. When you noticed it was missing, were you looking in the main 1Password app or in 1Password mini / browser extension? Did you check in All Items in the main app, and did you try using the Search field to look for it?

By any chance, do you have multiple versions of 1Password on your laptop? You can try doing a Spotlight search to make sure. The reason I ask is because (for example) if you have the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 in addition to the Mac App Store version, or 1Password 3, they will each store data separately on your Mac, so the items from one won't necessarily be in the other. I don't know if that could explain why an item seemed to disappear, but it seemed worth asking, just in case.

As for Dropbox sync, 1Password 3 used to read/write directly to/from the 1Password.agilekeychain file (which is currently in your Dropbox folder). Starting in 1Password 4, the .agilekeychain file is only used for syncing, so it's not your main data file. 1Password now copies changes between a local database and the keychain file in Dropbox. That's why you're still able to see your data in 1Password, even though Dropbox sync has been disabled. It should still work normally, but changes won't sync to/from your other Mac until you re-enable Dropbox sync.

Now, I don't know for sure if Dropbox sync is related to the "disappearing item" issue or not (it could just be a simple coincidence), but fixing Dropbox sync should be easy to fix, so we can take care of that first and see if it helps. Please follow these steps on your laptop:

• First, open 1Password and make a new backup of your data by going to File > Backup. (This way, if anything goes wrong, you'll be able to restore your most recent data from that backup.)
    • Next, go to Preferences > Sync.
    • Select Dropbox from the “Sync Primary vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

When you choose to merge the vaults, that just means it will copy new changes back & forth between your local vault and the vault in Dropbox. It won't delete anything unless you've specifically deleted it. So you should end up with all your latest data on both Macs. Please let us know how it goes up to this point, thanks!

• jasperx
    jasperx
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! The directions worked well and all the recent entries appear to be in.
    To answer some of your questions:
    Multiple versions... yes I had version 3 and 5 both downloaded from Agilebits. I removed 3 after the problem cropped up.
    The other observations I have is that at the hotel I was staying at, some of my other web interactive applications did not seem to be connecting (Box). Almost these applications used ports that the hotel was blocking. The other thing that cropped up was that my Hard Drive monitoring software gave me a warning about my drive. I subsequently used disk utility to repair the drive and permissions and everything is working fine, but I could be dealing with a failing HD.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasperx: Yikes! Definitely something to keep an eye on. I'm glad to hear that Drew was able to help, but be sure to backup your data elsewhere in case the drive does die on you down the road. Better safe than sorry! :)

This discussion has been closed.