Open and Fill Not Working

Options
maytm
maytm
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

Perhaps a change occurred in my recent update? Perhaps something happened when I emptied my safari history? Perhaps I was never using 1 Password correctly. But there was a time when I could go to a website that required a login and password and 1 Password would auto fill for me. Now I navigate to the website via safari browser then I have to open 1 Password to copy the password so that I can paste the password. I have tried to follow various threads in this forum but I can't tell if it is my actual issue, a past issue or something similar. I am using Safari 8.07; 1 Password 5 5.3.2 and Yosemite 10.10.4. Thanks for the help and I apologize if I have created a redundant thread.

1Password Version:5.3.2
_Extension Version:
_OS Version:10.10.4
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maytm,

You've helpfully supplied both the version for 1Password and OS X so it springs out that you haven't supplied the version for the 1Password Safari Extension. I'm wondering if it's installed at the moment, possibly connected to this purge you might have performed on Safari.

Here is How to find which version of the 1Password extension is installed. If you find the extension isn't installed or is disabled then we might have found the cause we were looking for. If the extension isn't installed you can download it from 1Password Browser Extensions. If it's disabled simply re-enabling it should do the trick.

Does either of these help at all or are you still finding there is an issue?

• maytm
    maytm
    Community Member
    Options

Hello littlebobbytables,

Thank you for your response and the help is finding the version of the 1 Password. The 1 Password extension is 4.4.1 and it is enabled.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maytm,

So just to recap.

You're running 1Password 5.3.2 with the latest Safari extension (4.4.1) confirmed as enabled and open and fill isn't working. Now when we say open and fill to me that means you're clicking on a website field from the main 1Password window. As you're aware, that should open the URL in your default web browser and then proceed to fill in using the Login item you were interacting with in 1Password.

Although the Extension is enabled I think the first thing to do is see if it's communicating with 1Password mini. If it isn't for any reason that would be one reason for what you're experiencing.

1. After using open and fill and having the login page load in Safari, does the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ also not fill the page?
    2. If ⌘\ doesn't do anything, what happens if you click on the 1Password Safari Extension icon in Safari's toolbar? Does it open 1Password mini and offer the correct Login at the top of the menu and if so does clicking on it result in the same behaviour as ⌘\?

If ⌘\ doesn't do anything and if clicking on the 1Password Safari Extension icon doesn't bring up 1Password mini then we might have narrowed down the cause as something going wrong between the extension and 1Password mini. If this is the case it might be worth trying in 1Password the following menu option, Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. If that doesn't improve the situation it might be worth trying a full reboot of your Mac.

Hopefully something above helps. Please let us know either way and if needed we will keep working with you.

• maytm
    maytm
    Community Member
    Options

Again thank you littlebobbytables for your assistance. The open and fill feature does appear to work when I go to a website via the 1 Password application. There was a time that when I would go to the same website but from Safari not the app the 1 Password stored username and password would also fill in the appropriate fields. I am beginning to think what may be happening is that I may be confusing safari password store with 1 Password. I am thinking that it was actually Safari filling the appropriate fields and I thought that was 1 Password - which suggests I was never actually using 1 Password the way it was intended to be used, so that when I cleared the Safari history I also cleared all the password information. Does that make sense?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@maytm: That definitely makes sense. I think that's the most logical explanation. If your login information for a given site is stored in 1Password, you'll be able to find it easily in a search (either by name or using the website URL — google.com, for instance).

Simply clearing the history shouldn't clear saved passwords, but certainly the "Reset Safari" command would. This probably isn't something that you'll want to sort through in a day, but as you go about using your various accounts over time, you may need to do some password resets for those you did not have stored in 1Password, and then just be sure you save them there to make it easier going forward. :)

• maytm
    maytm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty. I went and looked at the safari preferences and that was exactly what I did. Fortunately the passwords in Safari were my 1 Passwords so it was an easy solution. Thanks for all the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Fantastic! You're most welcome. I'm glad to hear that the mystery has been solved. You should be all set, but we're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member
    Options

I use 4.4.3 . I typed in a web address. I pop up sign in box appears , enter UN & PW;
    auto save box asking to save NOW or NOT NOW to primary vault.

I click save. I use firefox latest V. I quit, this info is cleared._

I click key in top menu for 1password and find my saved login. It logs straight in. Simple and easy as you assume it saves straight to program.

Later on, i try agian . Not able to login.

I checked settings in browser so AUTO save is not active in browser.

I did a test save with Safari 7 and it worked at first. Now not working.
    I checked extension is active.

What to make it work before I save to cloud.

Any ideas. What happens if you use only one browser for this program
    What happends when you update your browser 6 months later.

Best.
    Ben

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member
    Options

Looking for some guided advice.

Web pages were started in safari, auto saved to 1passwprd.

It appears as you click your named login, it tries to open from safari. This is true when I first set up and then tested.

Later, I initiated some from fire fox with extensions active. It tries to open from firefox if you start you day using firfox.

Both browsers are unable to open my saved logins.

Please Help
    ben

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Ben 10,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

So to answer the second question about browsers, if you attempt to use a Login item directly from the main 1Password window you are actioning something called open and fill. We pass the URL to OS X which uses it's default handler for HTTP(S). There isn't a way to tell 1Password to use a non-default browser without the use of a third party application.

If you are trying to use a Login item via 1Password mini after launching it from a browser then everything should occur in that browser regardless of whether it is the default one or not.

Now to try and understand and assist with the primary issue. Certainly clearing your browser should have no impact on the Login item stored in 1Password. I actually purge my browsers of all but a select number of trusted sites or everything for test browsers.

As you're a 1Password 4 for Mac user it would be best to inform you that we are tracking a bug where open and fill doesn't work with the current version of the 1Password Browser Extension. It will open the URL stored in the Login item but 1Password fails to fill and submit after this. This doesn't mean the Login item isn't working, the fault lies with the extension not following through. The easiest way to tell if this is the case is after you've loaded the login page does the page fill if you use the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ to fill the current page? If it fills then the issue is indeed open and fill and you should find any filling via the browser works.

Does that help explain your situation at all?

ref: OPX-1022

• ColinMulcahy
    ColinMulcahy
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi,

As per the previous comment on August 28 by littlebobbytales, I am experiencing the issues with Open and Fill as described. This feature used to work perfectly.

Have you managed to fix the bug with the extension not following through?

I love 1Password and it stores over 1500 logins for me. The mere fact that the Login and Fill is not working is adding time to my workload. :-)

Hope there is a solution. Not moving to Yosemite as there are to many issues with Mail and iCloud, so I'm working with Mavericks for the time being.

Thanks,

Colin

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @ColinMulcahy,

We haven't had a chance to address it yet I'm afraid. It is on the todo list and it's one of the important issues (at least I think so). It's just we've got some work to do at the moment to ensure the extension keeps working full stop due to ongoing changes in the browsers. As soon as we've taken care of these it will hopefully give us a chance to look at other issues like this one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I love 1Password and it stores over 1500 logins for me. The mere fact that the Login and Fill is not working is adding time to my workload.

@ColinMulcahy: Indeed. Thanks for the kind words! I do apologize for the inconvenience.

But keep in mind that in the mean time you can always Go & Fill directly from the 1Password extension itself. I find this is actually even quicker than doing so from an item in the main 1Password app, since all I need to do is hit ⌘⌥\(Command+Option+Backslash), type to narrow the search results, and hit Return. This should help in the mean time. Thanks for your patience! :)

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member
    Options

Command \ works for my manual login. I set default web brower to open in safari. I cleared all data in reset safari..
    Everything stills works , even though some were initially created in firefox.. I just use one extension for safari only so program does not get confused.

Is the best way to change password for a web page by:
    1. delete your saved login in 1 password main window . by moving to trash.
    2. change password and select auto save bottom . just like a new set up. will this better aid program follow through future logins?
    3. is there a better way.

Is sync to apple cloud the same as backing up all your saved logins? what happens when i need to down load program again and restore all saved logins?

So far smooth sailing in first two weeks.
    Thank you all support staff

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So far smooth sailing in first two weeks.
    Thank you all support staff

@Ben 10: You're very welcome! Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password! :chuffed:

Everything stills works , even though some were initially created in firefox.. I just use one extension for safari only so program does not get confused.

It isn't generally necessary to resave logins, regardless of when and where you saved them in the first place. It tends to only be necessary if a website changes their login form or URL, in which case some of the information saved in 1Password may be obsolete.

Is the best way to change password for a web page by:
    1. delete your saved login in 1 password main window . by moving to trash.
    2. change password and select auto save bottom . just like a new set up. will this better aid program follow through future logins?
    3. is there a better way.

"Better" will depend entirely on your own preferences. For instance, I prefer to do as much as possible using the extension in the browser, except when I'm organizing or adding a great deal of data — in which case using the app itself feels more flexible. But in your example, often simply manually saving the login will save additional information that will allow 1Password to work. When you do this, you can tell 1Password to update the existing Login item:

Of course sometimes you won't necessarily want to update the existing Login item, but create a brand new one.

Is sync to apple cloud the same as backing up all your saved logins? what happens when i need to down load program again and restore all saved logins?

It's best not to think of sync as backup. It really isn't, since data loss or damage will also be sync'd. So be sure to maintain a separate backup for your important data. Hopefully you will never need it, but you will be glad to have it if you do! I know I have...

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.