1Password will not open Vaults (Synced per NAS) after fresh installation of OS X 10.10.5

Options
andy_screen
andy_screen
Community Member
edited September 2015 in Mac

After a fresh installation of 10.10.5 1Password will not open vaults that are synced per "Synology CloudStation".
If I double-click the vault it opens 1Password and im asked for the master password of my primary vault (That is synced per iCloud and has no Problems...) but then nothing happens.

If retrieve the vaults from a backup and double-click them im asked for the password for the vault and it adds it without problems.
But just doing that is problematic because the vault is shared with several people and I assume everyone would have to do the process of adding the vault again, is that correct?

Console of OS X gives me this messages:

29.08.15 00:12:09.191 1Password[2867]: 530029 [APP:0x600000077600:<OPAppDelegate: 0x6080001bc8c0>] M applicationDidFinishLaunching: | Starting 1Password (AppStore) 5.3 #530029 built Mar 27 2015 20:48:57
29.08.15 00:12:10.260 1Password[2867]: Unable to load string table file: CFBundle 0x7f9cc3d004a0 </Applications/1Password.app> (executable, loaded) / MainWindow: Die Daten konnten nicht geöffnet werden, da sie nicht das korrekte Format haben.

(The last sentence translated: the data could not be opened because it doesn't have the right format)

Any suggestion on what to do?

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Synology CloudStation

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @andy_screen,

Can I just confirm a couple of things please.

You finished your fresh installation of 10.10.5 and you've installed your applications. You've launched 1Password for Mac and the first task to complete is either the creation or connection to an existing primary vault. Now it sounds like you're saying you keep your primary vault synchronised to iCloud and that part is fine. You've established the connection and unlocked the sync container.

After this you have secondary vaults that you want to re-add and these are stored on a Synology NAS. My questions are.

1. Are you accessing the Agile Keychain or OPVault files directly from a mounted network share or are you accessing them via a local folder synchronised using Synology's Cloud Station software that you've already installed?
    2. When you try to re-add a secondary vault it sounds as if you're saying you entered the Master Password for your primary vault, have I correctly understood?

The reason I ask these two questions is I have seen a couple of instances where it took a while for the Cloud Station to fully synchronise and the user in question had a lot of troubles until it had. The solution seemed to be to let Cloud Station to catch up and ensure everything was properly synced. The reason for the second question is that when you double click on an Agile Keychain or OPVault file to add as a secondary vault it isn't requesting your Master Password but the password for this vault. Each vault has its own password and while it might be the same as another vault (we don't recommend password re-use but the software wouldn't have stopped you) there is no guarantee that it is. It might be you're entering the wrong password? Restoring a backup would mean you enter your normal Master Password to unlock all the attached vaults as when you add a secondary vault the encryption keys are stored in the primary, that's how we maintain the notion of the one password on the Mac and iOS. When you first attach an existing secondary vault though you need its password.

I don't know for sure if either of these are the cause, they are just two possibilities that spring to mind. Please do let us know if either apply.

• AlexHoffmann
    edited September 2015
    Options

@andy_screen

While investigating this issue more closely, we've found a possible source for these issues.
    We were able to reporduce sync issues when the client and the server tought they were in different time zones or had different times set.

Can you please compare the time and date on your server and your client devices?

• andy_screen
    andy_screen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. For the responses.

I was able to resolve the problem by updating the Synology.
    I was able to get a vault to work that I retrieved from a Backup. But as soon as it started to sync per CloudStation I was unable to add it as a secondary vault. CloudStation from Synology cut a few KB of each Vault while Syncronising. No idea why. But it is working again.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @andy_screen,

I know it might sound silly but can I just confirm where things stand please. Cutting a KB off of a vault sounds pretty bad as is being unable to add a secondary vault but you finished the post off with

... it is working again.

which sounds quite positive. Hopefully things are behaving but if not I don't want to make the mistake of misinterpreting your post and not offering assistance.

This discussion has been closed.