1Password not being capable of accessing Password sites that open a Password Dialog box for credenti

Options
jdlebla01
jdlebla01
Community Member

Hi Folks,

New user here (1Password Mac & iPhone) got all my passwords entered and you'll be glad to know I have disabled the Lastpass extension I used to use.

A couple of challenges I face though.

1. 1Password doesn't autofill webforms, I have to type my password in the 1Password Browser Extension which normally recognizes the page I am on and then when I click the site name it fill the webform. Is there a way for it to not require the Browser extension password each time I vistit a site and manually click the site name and have it autofill the password info on the form? This was one feature that was nice with the LastPass implementation.
  2. Currently the 1Password browser extension can not be used to fill webforms that prompt a password dialog box is this true?

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jdlebla01,

I'm happy you've decided to switch to 1Password! Some features probably work a bit differently than what you're used to, but I'm sure it'll all feel like second nature in no time.

1. 1Password doesn't autofill webforms...

Do you mean it doesn't fill a login form right away when you visit a website? If so, that's correct behavior - 1Password never fills a login form on a website unless you explicitly tell it to do so (for example, by double-clicking a Login item in the main 1Password app, selecting a Login from the 1Password browser extension or 1Password mini, using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut, etc). Because sensitive data is involved, we never assume the user just wants us to do something automatically, so we leave the control in the user's hands. We have more information here: Why doesn’t 1Password automatically fill forms when the page loads?

I have to type my password in the 1Password Browser Extension which normally recognizes the page I am on and then when I click the site name it fill the webform.

If 1Password is locked, you'll need to unlock it in order to have it fill your info in a web form.

When it's unlocked, visiting a site and clicking the 1Password extension will always show you Login items that match the site (even if there's only one), so you'll need to select that Login to have your info filled. However, if you visit a site and use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut (and if you only have 1 matching Login item for that site), 1Password will immediately fill the login form. So, if you normally click the 1Password extension icon, try using the keyboard shortcut instead, and that should definitely save you some time & mouse clicks!

Is there a way for it to not require the Browser extension password each time I vistit a site and manually click the site name and have it autofill the password info on the form?

Do you mean that the 1Password extension needs to be unlocked with your master password every time you use it, even if you just used it a minute ago? If so, there might be a problem with some settings, and we can help you with that (just let us know).

Or, do you just mean you don't want to have to click a Login item in the 1Password extension every time you need it to fill a login form? In that case, my suggestion above to use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut should help.

2. Currently the 1Password browser extension can not be used to fill webforms that prompt a password dialog box is this true?

It sounds like you might be describing HTTP Authentication popup windows. If so, you're correct that the 1Password extension is not currently able to fill your credentials in that kind of window (you'll need to copy/paste your info from 1Password in that situation). Basically, 1Password needs to interact with a login form on a website, but an HTTP Authentication prompt is connected to the browser, and appears before the website loads. We have more information here: How do I fill HTTP Authentication popup windows?

Does that answer your questions? If I misunderstood something or you have more questions, just let us know! :)

• jdlebla01
    jdlebla01
    Community Member
    Options

You answered every question but I wanted to clarify the answer to you regarding:
    Do you mean that the 1Password extension needs to be unlocked with your master password every time you use it, even if you just used it a minute ago? If so, there might be a problem with some settings, and we can help you with that (just let us know).

The answer to this question is Yes.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jdlebla01,

Thanks for confirming that - I'm sorry the extension asks for your master password every time you use it! Let's check a few settings to see if we can figure out why that's happening:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Is the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" checked or un-checked?
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Which of the Auto-lock settings are checked/un-checked?

Thanks in advance!

• jdlebla01
    jdlebla01
    Community Member
    Options

Keep mini running is turned on.

Auto-lock settings everything is set.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @jdlebla01,

It might be the Lock when main window is closed setting that is causing so many requests for your Master Password. If you disable this option are you 'hassled' less for your Master Password and how do you feel about that?

• jdlebla01
    jdlebla01
    Community Member
    Options

I'll try it.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Let us know if it helps :smile:

This discussion has been closed.