Sync between different versions (and devices)

Options
armybot
armybot
Community Member
edited September 2015 in iOS

I bought the 5.2.2 pro features but I'm not able to sync via wifi with last 3.x last mac PRO version.
I read that syncing is allowed by design for all versions and devices but it doesn't work for me.
Note: I still have a 3.x ios version installed that works perfectly but during test were closed

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• armybot
    armybot
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'd like to upgrade but it seems that my license code isn't eligible for a free upgrade (argh! almost $30!)
    So I need to know if I may keep my old-but-fully-working 3.8.22 version on my mac and to keep the chance to have a fully synch with both my ios installations (same devices): 1Password Pro 3.7.2 and iPassword free 5.5 (maybe I'll buy in the next few hours).

Thank you.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @armybot,

1Password 5 for iOS can only sync with 1Password 5 for Mac (and likewise 1Password 3 for iOS can only sync with 1Password 3 for Mac) when syncing via WiFi.

Sorry for any confusion. If there is a statement that mislead you if you could please point it out for me I'd be happy to ask our documentation team to take a look at it.

Thanks!

Ben

• armybot
    armybot
    Community Member
    Options

I've read searching the forum or the faq, I'll check.
    This limitation is valid just for wifi sync or even for dropbox sync?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @armybot,

As far as syncing goes here is what works and what doesn't.

The only sync option left for 1Password Pro (iOS) is Wi-Fi Sync and it will only sync to 1Password 3 for Mac. The reason is Dropbox changed their API and we changed how Wi-Fi Sync worked in 1Password 4. Basically options with 1Password Pro are limited as it's now a bit old. With 1Password 3 for Mac there is the Wi-Fi Sync that we covered above but because on the Mac we rely on the OS X Dropbox service we also have Dropbox there. That's good as it's the only way to synchronise 1Password 3 for Mac with 1Password 5 for iOS which is possible.

So it is possible to sync those three versions although you're missing out on a number of features by still running the old versions as well as continued compatibility with your OS and browsers. An example of this are recent changes to Firefox led to our old 1Password 3 Firefox Extension breaking, more of which you can read at 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later. That's the worst that has happened so far but it is the eventual outcome when all the software 1Password interacts with is updated and it isn't.

Can I ask, are you running 1Password Pro on an iOS device because it cannot run the latest version of iOS or because you're mulling over the move to 1Password 5 for iOS? If you're able to run 1Password 5 for iOS on all of your iOS devices it would make a stronger case for upgrading to 1Password 5 for Mac for all of our recent improvements and bug fixes. It is up to you of course and hopefully I've put your mind at ease for the moment with what can sync and how. If you have any follow up questions at all please do ask.

• 1Password 3 for Mac, 1Password 5 for Mac, and 1Password 5 for iOS can all sync with Dropbox. 1Password 3 for iOS does not have that capability anymore, as it used the v1 (or v0) of the Dropbox API which they have since discontinued.

Thanks!

Ben

• armybot
    armybot
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your time.
    I already installed 1Password 5 on iOS devices and just bought pro features.
    Now I have a 5 version on iOS and 3 version on mac (and I don't know how to have them synched).
    I'd like to upgrade but, honestly, having a 3 Pro license I hoped in a free upgrade, not just discounted. Almost $30, imho, isn't cheap if you already are a paying client, even on multiple platforms.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @armybot,

I noticed you had two open threads for your sync questions, so I merged both into the same discussion. I hope you don't mind!

I already installed 1Password 5 on iOS devices and just bought pro features.

Thank you very much for your purchase, we sincerely appreciate it! :)

Now I have a 5 version on iOS and 3 version on mac (and I don't know how to have them synched).

It looks like Ben answered this, but just to reiterate - if you're using 1Password 5 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac, you can use Dropbox sync:

I'd like to upgrade but, honestly, having a 3 Pro license I hoped in a free upgrade, not just discounted.

I'm sorry for any confusion! 1Password is a separate purchase for each platform. When you buy the Pro Features in 1Password 5 for iOS, that allows you to unlock Pro Features in 1Password 5 on all your iOS 8 devices associated with your Apple ID. But that purchase only applies to the iOS app - a license for the Mac versions is a completely separate purchase. We have more information about how our licenses work here: What licenses do I need to use 1Password on all my devices?

On both Mac and iOS, 1Password 5 was a free upgrade from 1Password 4. But 1Password 4 was a paid upgrade from 1Password 3. If you have a license for 1Password 3 for Mac, that gives you a significant discount on a license for 1Password 4/5 for Mac. You can visit our Upgrade Store and enter your license code to see your discount and license options (you may have already done that). Alternately, you can certainly continue to use 1Password 3 for Mac as long as the operating system still supports it.

I hope that helps to clear things up, but if you have more questions or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.