How do I sync between two Macs?

Options
kellyNYC
kellyNYC
Community Member

I'm not using a cloud service and my 1Pass vault is stored only on my iPhone, iPad and Mac (wifi sync). However I have a second Mac and would like to keep the vault there, too. From what I've read, you can only have one master Mac that then syncs with multiple mobile devices. I can't also sync the vault with another Mac. So what is the best way to get the data to my secondary Mac. I've been doing a backup on primary Mac, sending the file to secondary Mac via AirDrop (or whatever), the performing a backup restore. So, I'm just wondering...is this the best method? I've read something about syncing to a USB stick. Is that easier? Thanks.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: forum-search:two computers

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kellyNYC,

You're correct - Wi-Fi sync is designed to work between one Mac and one or more iOS devices. If you want to also sync with another Mac, the best way to do that is with Dropbox sync or iCloud sync.

However, if you don't want to use a cloud service to sync 1Password, there are a couple other options which would be easier for you than the backup/restore method you've been using. One option is to use the Folder sync option to point to a sync file stored on a USB stick (like you mentioned) or other removable drive. 1Password can detect when that drive is connected to the Mac, and will sync with it. You would just need to remember to connect the drive to a Mac when you want to sync.

If you happen to have a network volume (like a Time Capsule or other NAS), another option would be to configure Folder sync to point to a local folder on one Mac, and then use a tool such as rsync (or another file copy tool) to copy the contents of the folder to/from the network volume. Then, on the other Mac, use the same tool to copy the files back out of the NAS and into 1Password's local sync folder. Now, I should mention that this can be a bit fragile and not really supported by us. However, it has worked for other users so I thought it was worth mentioning. You can find some more information about that in our Folder sync guide.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know! :)

• kellyNYC
    kellyNYC
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Drew. Using a USB flash drive is surprisingly simple and quick. Initially I thought the path to the flash drive would not "stick" in the sync preference pane, but it does remember it. I'm new to 1P and have found it to be an amazing solution to my growing password problem.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @kellyNYC,

It does look a little odd if you look at the Sync tab in 1Password's preferences both with the pen drive attached and with it disconnected as the sync state changes. Thankfully the setting is properly recorded and 1Password does what is needed so that it works. It does seem a little old school going with the sneakernet option but it's reliable and we get much better information from OS X about removable drives than we do network shares. I"m glad to hear the pen drive option works for you as it's the best local option for between Macs :smile:

This discussion has been closed.