how do I delete old logins on a Mac?

When I right click and click "delete" the login will disappear only to return. This is when I open 1Password from the icons at the bottom of the screen (?) When I use the icon in the toolbar (which appears to be a key or flashlight), I can't even do that. My selections are way too cluttered.

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: 4.2.5
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:how to delete logins on an iMac

Comments

• bam470
    bam470
    Community Member

When I right click and click "delete" the login will disappear only to return. This is when I open 1Password from the icons at the bottom of the screen (?) When I use the icon in the toolbar (which appears to be a key or flashlight), I can't even do that. My selections are way too cluttered.

• Hi @bam470,

I suspect the issue here might be multiple versions of 1Password. The reason I suspect this is the 1Password version you reported doesn't with the extension version you reported and it also cannot sync to iCloud. If I had to guess I think you have two very independent versions of 1Password running and it might be that you're interacting with one but not seeing the results elsewhere as you're viewing the other.

Is this a possibility at all? If you try using Spotlight to look for copies of 1Password what does it find?

• bam470
    bam470
    Community Member

Yes, I do show two versions, "1Password" and 1Password2". How do I eliminate one of them (or merge them?) and how do I know which one to remove?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bam470: Select one and press ⌘ I to Get Info. There you can view the version number. Ultimately you want 1Password version 3.8.22, so if neither is that version, simply drag them both to the Trash and install a fresh copy from our website. I hope this helps. let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• bam470
    bam470
    Community Member

Actually I now have 5.3.2. I uninstalled one version and all others are in the trash. However, I lost the "key" icon in the toolbar. How do I recover this? And the automatically appearing option of adding a site to 1P is not coming up.
    Thanks for your continuing help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bam470,

Glad you've been able to migrate from 1Password 3.8.22 to 5.3.2. Version 5 is the recommend choice to use on Yosemite. :)

Sounds like you might need to finish things up by installing the 1Password extension in your web browser(s). This guide has instructions for doing that with Safari:

Installing browser extensions

And you can open this page in non-default browsers to get it installed for those:

1Password Browser Extensions

I hope that helps! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bam470: And also set 1Password mini to run automatically, which will give you the 1Password menu bar icon, as well as facilitate the browser extensions. Cheers! :)

Ensure 1Password mini (a.k.a. helper) stays running (Mac)

• bam470
    bam470
    Community Member

That you SJK and brenty. You've been quite helpful. I've installed the browser extensions and am running mini. I'm trying to ensure that I'm syncing my iPhone 5c with Dropbox, which is functional on both. When I go through the steps on 1Password on my iPhone, and I reach the point where I have to enter my Dropbox password, I'm told that it's incorrect. I've reset the password twice on Dropbox and even uninstalled and reinstalled the app (using the password which was again rejected). Any thoughts?

• bam470
    bam470
    Community Member

Also, how can I see which version of 1P I'm running on the phone?

• bam470
    bam470
    Community Member

OK. One more issue. Every second time I go to open up 1P on my phone, after having entered the initial code, the screen is black, and I have to reboot in order to open up the program.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also, how can I see which version of 1P I'm running on the phone?

@bam470: From your description it sounds like you may be using a very old version of 1Password. Tell me which one you have here, as that will help narrow it down:

When I go through the steps on 1Password on my iPhone, and I reach the point where I have to enter my Dropbox password, I'm told that it's incorrect.

I suspect the answer to my query above will be either A or B, since it sounds like you're able to login to Dropbox everywhere but the iPhone. If that's the case, Dropbox discontinued the API that the old version of 1Password uses back in 2013, so the app just doesn't get a valid response because Dropbox is no longer listening.

It doesn't look like you've said much about the iPhone, besides identifying the model as a 5c. Hopefully you're using iOS 8 there (if not, it would be best to upgrade, perhaps straight to iOS 9 on the 16th), which will allow you to get 1Password 5 from the App Store, which will allow you to sync with Dropbox there too.

It sounds like we're getting somewhere! Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• bam470
    bam470
    Community Member

I did have 3.7.2 I've got is and 1P5. Shouldn't 1P upgrade when I get notifications to upgrade my apps? I assumed that it did automatically. thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I did have 3.7.2 I've got is and 1P5. Shouldn't 1P upgrade when I get notifications to upgrade my apps?

@bam470: No. Sorry for the confusion! The new apps can do that, however.

1Password 4 (and later 5, and now 6) is a separate app from the three (yes, three!) "1Password touch" apps we had for version 3. Initially, there was no iPad, only iPhone. We released 1Password touch for iPhone, people bought it. Then we released a new version for iPad. We also released a Universal app for folks who wanted to to use it on both iPhones and iPads. And eventually after seeing how people (including us) buy and use apps on iOS devices we decided to do away with all of that for 1Password 4.

Do you have all of your data in 1Password 5 for iOS already? If not, you can follow the steps in this guide to migrate your data from the old version:

How do I upgrade from 1Password 3 on iOS?

Alternatively, if you have your 1Password vault on another device already, you can simply sync it over to 1Password 5 for iOS.

I hope this helps. please let me know how it turns out! :)

• bam470
    bam470
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty
    I think that I've gotten the most current versions on both my iMac and phone. Everything seems to be working well.

• That's great to hear @bam470 :smile: Hopefully everything runs smoothly but should you have any issues or even just questions please do post :smile:

This discussion has been closed.