Moving both MacApp 1Password and 1Password 5 to a new Mac

In version 2 or so, I bought the MacApp Store version of 1Password. Then, I did beta testing for 1Password 3 or 4 (I can't remember now). Agilebits upgraded my license to 1Password 4 which I've continued into 1Password 5. Now, that's on my older Mac. I want to reinstall these programs on a new Mac (I'm not using Apple Migration since I want to do selective re-installs) but I cannot find the license for 1Password 5 (and I've requested license info through the automated system which did not return anything). I'm now running a demo version of 1Password 5 Beta which is soon to expire. How do I get the upgraded license or is that locked to the original Mac forever? Thanks.

1Password Version: 5.4B4
Extension Version: 4.4.4.1
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member
    edited September 2015

Hi @CurtisER,

Thanks for asking about licensing 1Password on your new Mac. I think you might already be covered there, which I'll explain further below.

In version 2 or so, I bought the MacApp Store version of 1Password.

1Password 3.9 for Mac was the first version available in the Mac App Store.

Then, I did beta testing for 1Password 3 or 4 (I can't remember now). Agilebits upgraded my license to 1Password 4 which I've continued into 1Password 5. Now, that's on my older Mac.

Our records show you only having a 1Password for Windows license, and no upgrades, associated with the email address you're using here on the forum.

Exactly which version of 1Password are you currently using on your older Mac?

I want to reinstall these programs on a new Mac (I'm not using Apple Migration since I want to do selective re-installs) but I cannot find the license for 1Password 5 (and I've requested license info through the automated system which did not return anything).

And, as mentioned above, I couldn't find one for 1Password 5 for you either. :)

I'm now running a demo version of 1Password 5 Beta which is soon to expire. How do I get the upgraded license or is that locked to the original Mac forever?

If you've purchased any version of 1Password from the Mac App Store you should be able to install version 5 from there on your new Mac. The steps under Mac App Store in this article explain how to do that:

How do I see if 1Password is already licensed?

Look for it under the Purchases tab of the App Store app:

Since you're running a beta build of 1Password 5 on your new Mac, I suggest following instructions here if you do install version 5 from the Mac App Store:

Switching to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store

And if you want to return to using betas after that, there's a note about switching to the website version at the end of this article:

Installing 1Password betas

And at the end of that article about switching to the website version it mentions:

The version of 1Password from our website will automatically detect that you own the app (even if you have removed the Mac App Store version), so there’s no need to register or acquire a new license.

I hope that information helps cover purchase/license options for 1Password 5 on your new Mac. A previous purchase from the Mac App Store won't require you to make a new purchase of the app (from Apple) or a license (from our AgileBits Store).

Please let us know if you need any further help with sorting this out; we're happy to assist! :)

• I think I figured this out. I think what happened was that I downloaded the beta version FIRST before I downloaded the App Store version. This caused the beta version to remain in demo mode and request a license.

What I did was I cntl-quit both programs and then dragged both to the trash. Emptied the trash. Restarted the Mac.

Then, I downloaded the App Store version FIRST. Then, I downloaded the beta version next. The beta version now recognizes as being licensed.

We're good now. Thanks for the tip on one of the links that led me to thinking of the order of install was reversed.

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Hi @CurtisER,

I think I figured this out.

There's no doubt, with how you described what you did. :chuffed:

Great to hear you've now got the 1Password beta licensed after it picked up the Mac App Store (MAS) version receipt. I suggest removing the MAS version of the app, e.g. with Launchpad, if you won't be using it. That eliminates all risk of it being unintentionally launched by the 1Password extension with any browser and accidentally saving data to the MAS version vault database. The AgileBits Store (including betas) and MAS versions store data in different locations; see this article for the details:

Where does 1Password store its data?

In general, it's best to have only one copy of 1Password installed at a time (in the system Applications folder) to avoid conflicts with symptoms explained here:

How to remove multiple, conflicting copies of 1Password from your system

Thanks for the tip on one of the links that led me to thinking of the order of install was reversed.

You're most welcome. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.