Hi, I have a browser extension issue, similar to but distinct from this thread:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/19505/logins-not-showing-up-in-browser-extension

We are running 3.8.22

Specifically, on ONE of the installed instances of the browser extension, certain logins don't consistently appear when searched.

User script:

open 1P browser extension dialog
type search string (in this case 'barclay' looking for 'barclaycardus.com')
no results

Open 1Password application
result is found with data

with 1Password application showing found results
result is found with data

close 1Password application

no results

We did not try browsing for entry in 1Password browser extension
We did try looking in 1Password browser extension a second time this time with application open and found results displayed, this time the extension did not find the results

Please advise

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: 10.8.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:disappearing info in browser extension

Comments

• mwhybark
    mwhybark
    Community Member

further, this seems to come and go, I can't currently replicate it

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mwhybark,

Sorry you're getting unpredictably inconsistent search results in the 1Password 3 browser extension. Let's see if we can determine what's causing them to vary like you've described.

Specifically, on ONE of the installed instances of the browser extension, certain logins don't consistently appear when searched.

Can you explain a bit more about that one installed instance with the troublesome searching? Which web browser and version of it does that happen with?

I'd like to get a clearer picture of your 1Password ecosystem and understand any relationships and differences between the troubled instance and others without the trouble. You mentioned your Sync Type being Dropbox. Are other instances of 1Password syncing the same data as the search-troubled instance?

Thanks in advance for the answers and the details you've provided so far. We'll get to the bottom of this. :)

• mwhybark
    mwhybark
    Community Member

1Password Version: 3.8.22
    Extension Version: 3.9.20
    OS Version: 10.8.5
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Safari 6.2.8

"Are other instances of 1Password syncing the same data as the search-troubled instance?"
    yes

The 1P application did not display anomalous search results.

the browser extension is installed on a variety of other machines in a variety of different browsers and operating systems. this search anomaly has not been observed in these instances.

the suspect installation was just tested for the same search string and reported the proper results.

• Hello @mwhybark,

We've let this question languish a bit it seems and I do apologise for that.

So the first aspect to be aware of is the thread you linked to was for 1Password 4/5 and it behaves in a very different way to 1Password 3. So much is different that in many areas the issues and solutions are not comparable.

What surprises me is with 1Password 3 the extension synchronises with the main application rather than passing searching off to it so I am as perplexed as you are as to why having the main application should make any difference.

Here is what I would suggest.

1. If you haven't already try a reboot of your Mac. Sometimes something that simple can eliminate the odd behaviour.
    2. Once we've confirmed there is no possibility of data loss we can see what happens if we remove the extension and install a fresh copy. Please don't try this one until you've gone through the steps below.

3. Save a new test Login item from within the 1Password 3 Safari Extension. The site doesn't matter but Facebook or Twitter are nice sites to uses as they're easy to access. You'll be deleting the item afterwards so the fields don't have to contain real data.

4. Does the this test Login item you just created appear in your 1Password 3 vault when you view it from the application? If it does the extension and the application are synchronising so you are safe to remove the 1Password Safari Extension. Uninstall the extension and it will remove the support files. For good measure reboot the Mac too. It's almost undoubtedly overkill but then you are in contact with us due to something not working quite right. After the reboot install a fresh copy of the extension.

Does anything there result in more consistent behaviour being observed on the problem machine?

This discussion has been closed.