Sharing logins with a less technically savvy spouse

Options
mattyf
mattyf
Community Member

I think I know the best way to do this, but can someone confirm I'm right? When I search for answers, most of what comes up is info on version 4, so it's a little confusing to figure out on my own. But here's what I think:

1) I have chosen not to share individual logins, due to an abundance of caution around the potential insecurities of mail and SMS. (At some point will 1Password support some sort of public/private key encryption for sharing such items?)

2) I am going to create a second vault on my computer (Mac). That vault will by my spouse's vault, and will have his password as a master password. That vault will be in its own folder within my dropbox account.

3) I will share that dropbox folder with husband's dropbox account.

4) On his iphone/ipad, I'll set up dropbox syncing and set up this shared vault to be his only and primary vault.

5) When I need to share a login with him, I simply go into my main vault, and send it to the shared vault.

Is this correct? This is the most secure way, yes? Will I ever need to open his vault? Or can I send items into it without actually opening it?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 9
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @mattyf,

You've definitely got the right sequence and that way is secure. The one area where I suspect you haven't realised one small point is that by creating a secondary vault and sharing that with your spouse their vault will always be open on your Mac. What we do is we store the encryption keys for secondary vaults inside your primary vault but in a hidden spot so they aren't visible. The result though is when you unlock your primary vault it automatically unlocks all secondary vaults attached to that copy of 1Password. Indeed to copy or move anything to a vault the source and target vaults have to be accessible/open.

It might be I misunderstood slightly what you mean by "actually opening it" and if so I apologise. Your approach though will allow you to securely share items and more importantly if you keep the only copy of an item in the spouse's vault for shared items you can access it from there too, allowing either of you to easily modify any item i.e. after a password change, without you having to worry about manually altering a second copy in your own vault.

Does any of that help at all?

• mattyf
    mattyf
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! That answered my question exactly. For what it's worth, I could find no mention in any of the faqs about unlocking the Master vault unlocking secondary vaults as well. That's a great feature. Maybe add it to the faq?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattyf,

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome!

I could find no mention in any of the faqs about unlocking the Master vault unlocking secondary vaults as well.

We mention that (briefly) on this page of our user guide. I'm sure we mention it other places as well, but it sounds like we might want to make that more obvious. Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it! :)

If you need anything else, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.