1Password sync with dropbox - constant file update

Options
KikiP
KikiP
Community Member

my dropbox is constantly syncing one password hidden files (looks like they go into a folder called "default") which is slowing down my network. This started recently after an update to 1password which caused my keychain to become unlinked to the program on all my computers. once i relinked the keychain doc it caused my computers to constantly ping my dropbox. In an attempt to fix the problem i deleted dropbox, reinstalled and unlinked and relinked one of my computers from the vault / keychain. that particular computer can no longer click on the document to relink (it hangs when i try to relink) and my other computers are still constantly pinging dropbox. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:dropbox constant sync

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @KikiP,

There's the distinct possibility that the Agile Keychain has become damaged or possibly one of your copies of 1Password has and the constant syncing is likely conflict files inside the Agile Keychain (it's actually a bundle file, a folder treated in a special way by OS X).

One of the big benefits of 1Password 4/5 is that your vault is locally stored in an encrypted SQLite database file and the Agile Keychain, once the container of your vault in 1Password 3 is now merely a sync container. The benefit is we can throw away the sync container and have 1Password create a new one. Here is what I recommend.

1. On one of your Macs launch 1Password.
    2. Use the menu option File > Backup.
    3. This will open 1Password's preferences, now switch to the Sync tab.
    4. Change the menu option from Dropbox to None.
    5. A confirmation window will open, tick the checkbox titled Delete data from Dropbox and click the Disable Sync button. This will delete just the Agile Keychain - nothing else.
    6. Give Dropbox a moment to synchronise these changes.
    7. Once Dropbox has settled down change the option back from None to Dropbox and follow the steps to create a new Agile Keychain.

Now when you launch 1Password on each of your other Macs/devices it will complain and disable sync. For each machine/device you run 1Password on I recommend

1. Creating a backup. For Mac follow step 2. in the first set of steps. For iOS visit 1Password > Settings > Advanced and tap Create Backup.
    2. Re-enable Dropbox sync and point it to the new Agile Keychain.
    3. Pause to let Dropbox do it's thing.

If this doesn't help, if Dropbox is still showing significant files being altered then it's likely one copy of 1Password is damaged. Given you have your data in multiple places there should be little to no loss. In this case we would need to identify the machine and have it start over, pulling a fresh copy of the vault from Dropbox into a clean vault. Let's start with replacing the Agile Keychain and see if that helps. Please do keep us updated.

This discussion has been closed.