Enable Spotlight search on OSX

ron_stijnen
ron_stijnen
Community Member

Hello,

Sometimes I create a secret note I add some pdf files as an attachment, this works perfect. When close 1password and perform a local search by spotlight for example it does detect my secured pdf files in 1password and I can even open them from spotlight. How can I prevent this from happening? I want those notes (and everything else) to be secured only inside 1password.

And are my pdf files secure in 1password?

I'll hope someone can guide me with this one.

Best regards,
Ron Stijnen from the Netherlands

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Hi @ron_stijnen,

I'm a bit confused because you've posted this in the Mac forum and the subject title includes "OS X" but you're talking about a feature that's currently only available in iOS, and the screenshot is from iOS. Are you using 1Password on a Mac computer at all (such as when you're attaching PDFs to Secure Notes), or exclusively in iOS? I'll need to know this before I can specifically address your questions.

However, in the meantime, this new support article should help clarify how Spotlight Search works with 1Password:

Spotlight Search FAQs (iOS)

• ron_stijnen
    ron_stijnen
    Community Member

Hi @Vee,

Thank you for your response!
    I use 1PW on all my devices iPad, iPhone and Mac. Almost everything I do Starts with 1PW.
    As I wrote above I am wondering why spotlight can see my pdf files stored in 1PW on mac.
    The iOS screenshot I used as an example.
    I Just want to know how I prevent spotlight on mac searching my 1Pw files.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Hi @ron_stijnen,

Do you have those PDFs stored elsewhere on your Mac, or only in 1Password? OS X Spotlight should not find anything in your 1Password vault, so if Spotlight is finding them, the files probably also exist somewhere else on your computer.

When you attach a file to an item in 1Password, what gets attached is a new copy of that file, much like sending an attachment in an email. So let's say you have a file called Unicorns.pdf in your Mac's Documents folder. You attach the pdf to a Secure Note called "Important Unicorn Info" in 1Password. You now have a copy of Unicorns.pdf attached to that Secure Note as well as the original location in the Documents folder. If you only want Unicorns.pdf to exist within your secure 1Password vault, then you should delete it from the Documents folder on the Mac, and empty the Trash. Then Spotlight should not be able to find it.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions! :)

• ron_stijnen
    ron_stijnen
    Community Member

Hi @Vee,

Thank you very much!
    Found some files in a mail attachment, problem is solved.
    I m glad to know that 1pw makes a copy of the pdf and is stored secure within 1pw!

Thanks again!
    Best regards,

Ron

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

@ron_stijnen: Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the update. It's important to remember that, much like email attachments, when you add a file as an attachment to an item in 1Password, nothing happens to the original. We don't want to delete data on your behalf, so be sure to remove the original file if you do not want it sticking around in unencrypted form. Cheers! :)

• ron_stijnen
    ron_stijnen
    Community Member

@brenty,

Exactly Brenty! Thank you for your response!
    The only thing I hope in a nearby future is for AgileBits to integrate Knox into 1PW for OSX and iOS in a kinda "handoff" way. That would be awesome!!!

Again thanks for your response,

Best regards,
    Ron

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! And thanks for the Knox/1Password suggestion. That's certainly something we can consider in the future. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.