Question regarding 1Pwd3 and Firefox ESR

OK, at https://support.1password.com/v3-extension-firefox/ you suggest using Firefox ESR 38 in lieu of FF 40 and above. However, this sentence could do with clarification: "It will give you time to consider the other two options below before Mozilla also removes the widget module in May 2016, according to their ESR schedule."

Looking at the schedule, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/ FF ESR 38.8.x will be the last version to support 1Pwd3 and will be superseded by FF ESR 45.2.0. While the latter will NOT support 1Pwd3, as long as a user does not go past FF ESR 38.8.x they should still be able to use 1Pwd3. The widget module will be removed from ESR releases starting with ESR 45.0 in March 2016 as I read the schedule. Do you know if Mozilla plans on removing the module from ESR 38.8 in May 2016? AFAIK, they just don't plan on any security updates after 31 May 16.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Question regarding 1Pwd3 and Firefox ESR

Comments

• Hi @romad,

Wherever possible we would strongly recommend using an up to date browser with all the security fixes it contains. So when we say it gives you until around May of next year it's because after that you will be running an unsupported version of Firefox that is no longer receiving updates. You can of course opt to disable updating in Firefox and simply continue to run Firefox ESR 38 but that is a choice up to the individual and not one we could ever publicly recommend. It would mean you could continue to use the 1Password 3 Firefox extension though, you are correct in that assessment.

The internet has become increasingly hostile and one of the few defences available is to run an up to date operating system with up to date software to limit exposure to bugs. Now that isn't always possible but it has to recommended.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

If I could sync iOS 1Pwd 3.7.2 with Mac 1Pwd 4/5, I would have the current version of Firefox. Otherwise I'm stuck at either FF 39 or FF ESR 3.8.x.

• Greetings @romad,

Depending on your setup there is a convoluted route that does work as others do this.

If you're running 1Password 3 for Mac on Yosemite then your Mac can run 1Password 5 for Mac. When you run 1Password 5 for the first time it looks for existing data and it will look in the two locations 1Password 3 normally stores the Agile Keychain. It will set up Folder Sync with that Agile Keychain meaning that the Agile Keychain 1Password 3 uses will be updated as you use 1Password 5. Any time you launch 1Password 3 it should see all the same data that resides in 1Password 5 and you can use 1Password 3 for Mac as Wi-Fi bridge between 1Password 5 for Mac and 1Password for iPhone (v3).

I mostly offer this as a possibility. It is known to work and is an alternative to feeling forced to run Firefox 39 or Firefox ESR 38. Of course it does require a new licence if your current licence is only for 1Password 3 and my preference is to try and avoid making people feel they have to upgrade, I would much rather people want to. As you note though, if you turn off automatic updates to Firefox then you can keep using Firefox ESR 38 with the 1Password 3 Firefox Extension even after Mozilla stop issuing security patches. You are at least going into the situation with your eyes open which is good :smile:

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

No, my problem is I need to maintain compatibility with my iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.1.6. It is actually my backup iPhone (came in handy when I lost my iPhone 5) so until I replace my iPhone 6, I have to continue to use 1Pwd3 on my iMac running Mac OS 10.8.5.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@romad: Ah, understood. I'm sorry that we don't have a better solution for your unique situation. :(

But the good news is that the iPhone 6S comes out tomorrow...so maybe this is a good excuse to upgrade! ;)

Of course, that would allow you to use 1Password 4 (again?) on your iMac, but you could also use Chrome or Opera (I always forget about Opera...) instead if you're still stuck in this holding pattern come May. I hope this helps!

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Nah, can't do that as I still have a year to go before I'm eligible. In fact the only reason I bought an iPhone 6 was because I lost my iPhone 5. Now if I could get an iPhone 6S in an iPhone 5 form factor I'd consider it even with the penalty. The iPhone 6 is too large; it needs to be about 1/2" shorter and 1/8" narrower.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nah, can't do that as I still have a year to go before I'm eligible. In fact the only reason I bought an iPhone 6 was because I lost my iPhone 5. Now if I could get an iPhone 6S in an iPhone 5 form factor I'd consider it even with the penalty. The iPhone 6 is too large; it needs to be about 1/2" shorter and 1/8" narrower.

@romad: Ah! Fair enough. My hands want a smaller phone, but my eyes like a bigger one. For now, I'll settle for 4.7" as a compromise between the 4" and 5.5". :lol:

This discussion has been closed.