1Password 3.8.21 and FireFox 38.01 extension installer

I prefer to use FireFox version 38.01 with Mavericks OS 10.9.5 and 1Password 3.8.21 with the appropriate FireFox/1Password extension. And very happy with that setup and the performance of 1Password 3.

Yesterday my son without asking upgraded FireFox to the most recent version and thereby lost access to 1Password version 3 within FireFox .

I re-installed from a back up copy of FireFox version 38.01 and able to restore the FireFox/1Password extension.

Is it possible to obtain a stand alone 1Password 3.8.21 FireFox extension installer in the event this happens again and also in the event Agile decides to remove that installer and if so where is the download please ?

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: FireFox 38.01

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @midiw,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our "1Password 3 for Mac" forum since that's the version you're using and asking about.

You shouldn't need to keep a stand alone copy of the 1Password 3 extension for Firefox, because you can always re-download it from us if necessary. Simply open the 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Install Browser Extensions. That will take you to the site where the 1Password 3 extension is available. You can also go directly to that site using this URL: https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html

We still have a lot of customers who use 1Password 3 for Mac so we need to continue to make that extension available for download. However, if you want to download a copy of the extension, you can certainly do that. Just open the above link in Safari or Chrome and click the Download link for the Firefox extension, and that will download it to your Mac (normally to the Downloads folder).

Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

Hi Drew_AG,

Thanks for your reply/interest in my question and for the posting re-location correction.

I downloaded the 1Password 3 extension using Safari however i am lost as to what i do with it having very limited tech knowledge. As you know in the Mac world it is simply double clicking something to make it work. I had assumed that it was a an installer i could double click and it would do its thing to FireFox. Therefore i am just going to follow the "traditional" method of installing a FireFox extension from within 1Password 3 since you intend to continue to make that extension available for download.

• Hi @midiw,

All browser extensions are packed meaning they're a single file that the browser understands. If you have any fears at all you can put a copy of the XPI to one side as I'm fairly certain Firefox will allow you to install a copy from disk. I don't foresee us removing the extensions any time soon though.

Now there would be a cost involved but if you have a Mac capable of running OS X 10.9 (AKA Mavericks) then it can run Yosemite and will also be able to run El Capitan when it's released in a week's time. That means you can run the latest version of 1Password for Mac and the cost is 1Password 4 was a paid upgrade over 1Password 3. Your existing 1Password licence key though can be used to obtain a discount and you can see the options at Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners. Typically there are benefits to running the latest versions in terms of not just bug fixes or security updates but feature improvements too. You don't have to at all, but it would mean you could return to running the latest version of Firefox too. Updating OS X can lead to a certain level of expenditure though as you have to update X, Y & Z - I've been there before myself :smile:

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

Thanks for the information/clarification.

Actually, in my collection of 12+ Macintosh desktops i have the iMac 2009 and 2014 editions. . I own/operate a audio/video recording business whereby MacOS 10.9.5 ( Mavericks ) and prior versions works. Tried Yeo but found no huge benefit to my business computer use. There are many high end video and audio programs that have not ported over to Yeo or only partially. Try explaining that to a client waiting for a audio/video .

Consequently 1 Password 3 is perfect with FireFox 38.0.1 to help me fill in the blanks for registrations etc. when i need to go internet browsing.

Now if i could only figure out how to completely stop my preferred version of FireFox from updating itself. I have set the FireFox preference to never update but somehow the other day a pop up came asking for an update which i do not want since the browser and 1Password 3 are working just fine for my simple use albeit this 78+years memory more then often needs help from 1Password.

• Hello @midiw,

At the moment we actually recommend Firefox ESR 38. It is still receiving security updates but being an Extended Support Release it won't include new features meaning no nasty surprises. It will receive security updates until around May of next year meaning you have time to consider what you want to do. It might be you simply stop Firefox from updating at that point which should be possible in the Update tab at about:preferences#advanced. To learn a bit more about Firefox ESR and a link for it our page, 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later should prove useful.

I hope that helps.

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

Thank you all for providing me with your generous help.

As you suggest and explained I am switching to Firefox ESR 38 since it shows the 1Password 3 icon in its menu ( or what ever that area is called ) . As best as i can recall when i first switched from Firefox 40 to Firefox ESR 38 the 1Password 3 icon was not there. Now it is there and works the way it did prior and i am very happy with that. Thank you so much gentlemen.

• Should you have any other queries please do visit us here in the forums and we'll do our best to help @midiw :smile:

This discussion has been closed.