Questions about using 1Password account on multiple devices

Options
bmitch
bmitch
Community Member

Can someone point me to the spot on the site where it explains how to set up more than one device with a Chrome extension (in the case of using the same 1Password account on multiple Macs) and then on iPhone and iPad? Extra charge for doing so? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.3.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bmitch,

A licence to run 1Password for Mac entitles you to install and run 1Password on as many Macs as you own. So the first step is to download 1Password onto all of your Macs from the same place you purchased it. The next part is when it will all start making sense. On the Mac with your vault you would set of syncing with one of the sync options we have available. For Mac to Mac these are:

1. iCloud Sync (only for the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac)
    2. Dropbox Sync (available on all versions of 1Password for Mac)
    3. Folder Sync (this is for users that don't like cloud services)

The links are for the guides to set it up in 1Password for Mac. Once you've done that, on each of the other Macs you would want to follow this guide, Finding existing 1Password data during setup. That should result in your vault being synchronised across each of your Macs. All that would be left to do is install the Chrome extension on each Mac :smile:

Now you may very well have questions or feel that you need more detailed steps for a particular point. Either way, if you post back here we'll do our best to help you out :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bmitch,

I realise I forgot to post about iOS, sorry about that. Now 1Password for iOS is a free to download app with certain features behind an in-app purchase. The purchase is a one-off and a single purchase would cover all of your iOS devices linked to that same Apple ID.

To set up an iOS device our page, Existing 1Password user would be what you want. Just like the Finding existing 1Password data during setup link in the other post this will show you how to set up 1Password for iOS and link it to existing data.

As before, let us know if we can be of more assistance.

• bmitch
    bmitch
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks. Will follow up and report back!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Please do @bmitch :smile: If you're having problems we definitely want to know so we can assist and we always love hearing things are on track and working smoothly :wink:

• bmitch
    bmitch
    Community Member
    Options

I never did figure this out. I've tried the various syncing methods and it says it downloaded my 1Password data from Dropbox. But then it says my trial has expired even though I've bought the software and have been using it fine on my old Macbook Air. Is there a number I can call to have somebody walk me through the process of getting it working on my new Macbook Air, iPhone and iPad? Thanks.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This knowledge base article will help you:

“Trial Expired” notice (Mac)

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @bmitch,

Let us know if you're still having problems after reading the article Stephen_C linked you to. As each copy of 1Password is completely independent from each other you do need to apply the licence to each machine (which is perfectly acceptable and within the licence agreement). You will need to only do this once and it's the same steps you will have gone through on the old MacBook Air. The reason is the copy of 1Password you download from our site isn't tailored to your licence, it's merely a copy that starts off in a trial mode until a valid licence is applied. You've made the purchase so you already have the licence, it's just the steps in the email that you need to do again.

Hopefully you'll be reporting success but if not please do let us know!

• bmitch
    bmitch
    Community Member
    Options

I wonder if my problem is using different iCloud accounts on my two devices. In 1Password, how do I see which iCloud account I'm using to synch? Thanks for your help (and your patience).

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @bmitch,

The easiest way to see which Apple ID you are logged into in iCloud is via Apple's interface. The following should be what you're looking for.

1. On a Mac you want to look in System Preferences > iCloud. It will tell you on the left hand side of that window.
    2. On an iOS device you will want to look in iOS > Settings > iCloud. It will tell you at the top of the screen. Where I wrote iOS what I mean is from the iOS home screen and not from within the 1Password for iOS app.

Does that help at all?

• bmitch
    bmitch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks but that's not my problem in this case. Trying to see which Apple ID I used to purchase my 1Password app in the App store.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @bmitch,

Okay, I'm with you now and sorry for the confusion. Sadly there isn't an easy way to do this that I'm aware of. If you keep all the iTunes and Apple receipts that are emailed to you then you would be able to see the email address and that should help narrow it down. The only other way I'm aware of is to log into each Apple ID and locate the purchase manually - sorry.

As we're talking about 1Password for Mac you should be able to log into the App Store application on your Mac and view the entire purchase history in the Purchased tab. It would probably be prudent to check for hidden purchases too and how to do this is best explained by Apple with their Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store page.

If there is a better way I'm unaware of it but maybe I will learn something new here too. I apologise I couldn't post a better way.

This discussion has been closed.