Longtime 1Password user via purchase through the Mac Store. 1PW Suddenly requesting license.

Options
sleepingplanes
sleepingplanes
Community Member

1PW strangely states that I am, surprisingly, using a trial version of 1Password and requesting license key, but I purchased 1PW a while back via the MacStore and never had any issues previously. Not sure if the is OSX upgrade related or where to find my license key.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Longtime 1Password user via the Mac Store. Suddenly requesting License

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If you purchased through the Mac App Store, you must also at some point have downloaded the version direct from AgileBits, as 5.3.2 is the direct version.

First thing to do is to check if you somehow have two versions of 1PW, and perhaps also make absolutely certain that you purchased from the App Store (people do occasionally get confused, which is why I suggest a double-check).

There's also the possibility that the App Store version, since it was bought a while back, is an old version.

Once we know your answers, we will be able to give further support.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sleepingplanes,

Danco is correct - if it says you're using a trial and asks for a license, you have the AgileBits Store version of 1Password installed on your Mac (and 5.3.2 is currently the latest release for the AgileBits Store version). The Mac App Store version doesn't have a trial mode (because you would need to purchase it there first before you can download it) and doesn't require you to add a license (because it's tied to the Apple ID you used to buy it).

Please launch the Mac App Store, make sure you're signed in with the Apple ID you used to purchase 1Password for Mac, and check the Purchased section. Do you see 1Password listed there? If so, does it have a button for Install or for Open? If it has an Install button, it's not currently installed on your Mac. If it has an Open button, it's already installed (in addition to the AgileBits Store version).

Does that help? Let us know how it goes and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• sleepingplanes
    sleepingplanes
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, you guys are right - I apologize. However, I'm still not able to activate my software. I followed the directions from the email that included my license key (IE: "Select 1Password > License… and paste the above information). However, there isn't anywhere to "paste" information when looking at this view and the download link provided only downloaded the app. Maybe it's because it says my license is for "1Password 3" ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, 1P3 used a licence key. 1P4/1P5 use a licence file.

You can buy 1P for Mac either from the Mac App Store or direct from the AgileBits store. There are two things to bear in mind:

1. If you ever want to use iCloud to sync 1P data between your Mac and iPhone you must buy 1P from the Mac App Store because the version from the AgileBits store doesn't support iCloud sync (following changes made by Apple on the launch of OS X Yosemite). Both versions support sync of 1P data by either local wifi or Dropbox.
    2. If you have owned an earlier version of 1P for Mac you may be entitled to an upgrade discount if you buy from the AgileBits store. That discount won't be available if you buy from the Mac App Store.

Stephen

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sleepingplanes,

If you bought 1Password 4 or 5 from the Mac App Store, then you don't need to follow the license instructions from the 1Password 3 receipt email. You need to install 1Password from the Mac App Store. Then this guide will help you switch your data over from the AgileBits Store version.

Let us know if you run into any more trouble along the way! :)

• sleepingplanes
    sleepingplanes
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Vee

I was mistaken and I must have only bought the iOS version via the app store. When i request a license via agile bits, I get a zip file and email but it contains an alphanumeric key and not a license file. It also states that the license is for 1Password 3. I just need to be provided with a license file, since 1Password 5 no longer accepts text input for licenses.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @sleepingplanes,

So I looked up your email address in our records and I found a purchase from 2012 for 1Password 3. When 1Password 4 was released the decision was made to make it a paid upgrade over 1Password 3. Now you can use your 1Password 3 licence key to obtain a discounted upgrade price at Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners if you want to move from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5. We reserve the right to charge for a new major version e.g. going from 3 to 4 but we don't always do so e.g. 1Password 5 was free for all existing 1Password 4 customers.

The first thing you'd want to do is reassure yourself that you didn't purchase 1Password for Mac for Apple's Mac App Store. If you did it should appear in the Purchased tab of the App Store application although you'd want to check for accidentally hidden purchases (this page should help, Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store). I only suggest this as besides the price, it's easy to mistake which platform you purchased 1Password for based on solely an Apple receipt. If the purchase was around $10 it would be iOS, if the purchase was $30-50 then it would be OS X.

If you have any questions or feel I've missed part of the conversation please do let me know.

This discussion has been closed.