Window resizing isn't persistent across restarts [known to happen on El Capitan (10.11)]

Options
dfp
dfp
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

Window resizing isn't persistent across restarts:

1. Open the app.
  2. Resize the main window.
  3. Quit the app.
  4. Reopen the app.
  5. Main window has returned to it's default size.

This used to work correctly in previous versions.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11 Beta
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:window resize not persistent v5

Comments

• Hey @dfp! Sometimes the plist file of Mac apps stops syncing with the app itself as far as window size goes. The easiest way to fix things is to reset it. None of your passwords will be touched, but any preferences you've changed in 1Password, like idle lock time on the vault and vault sync will be reverted to the default settings. If you don't want to go through this trouble, you can try the second advanced fix below.

Here are the steps from the Starting over guide that simply reset 1Password's basic preferences:

1. In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder again. Go to: ~/Library/Preferences
    2. Locate the file named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.plist and drag it onto the Desktop.
    3. Locate the file named com.agilebits.onepassword4.plist and drag it onto the Desktop.
    4. Reboot your Mac.

It should also be possible to edit the com.agilebits.onepassword4.plist file and delete the string pertaining to window size (NSWindow Frame MainWindow), though that's a bit more advanced and the best way of doing it is using Xcode. If you have Xcode, simply open the plist file in there and click - on the NSWindow Frame MainWindow string.

I just performed both of these fixes on my end and they reset the window size. I'm also on OS X 10.11, though I'm not on the beta, so you may be on 10.11.1 which has some small issues with 1Password at the moment. Removing the NSWindow Frame MainWindow can also fix the window jittering around when you reposition it on the screen — also a bug with the OS X 10.11 WindowServer.

Hope this helps!

• dfp
    dfp
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, I think you mean ~/Library/Containers, yes?

• Jacob
    edited September 2015
    Options

@dfp If you have the Mac App Store version of the app, then yes. Otherwise it would be in ~/Library/Preferences. On the Mac App Store version you'll need to look for the plist in a folder named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper. I actually don't know the MAS version that well, so I'm not quite sure what the structure is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hmm, I think you mean ~/Library/Containers, yes?

If you have the Mac App Store version of the app, then yes.

@dfp: Precisely! All the information you'll need for either version is included in the Starting Over link penderworth provided...but of course the purpose of that article is a bit different from what needs to be done in your case. ;)

So long as you only move (non-destructive FTW!) only the .plist files, you won't be at risk of actually starting over with a new vault, etc. Just go to ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Preferences/ and remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.plist.

Alternatively, since your vault is stored separately in your Dropbox folder, you could also simply Trash ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/ and restart your Mac. 1Password will detect your vault in Dropbox when you launch it and you'll be good to go.

But of course if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at this issue in more detail:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

This discussion has been closed.